Vantrue E1 / E1 Lite - Unboxing, Initial Testing

Vantrue E1 - Power Consumption Testing - Initial Results

I spent the afternoon testing out the Vantrue E1 to see how much power it consumes in the various modes of operation it supports. I used the Vantrue 2-wire hardwire kit with low voltage cutoff support at 12.0V and 11.6V.

Normal Mode Recording Power Consumption Tests - 2560x1440p(HDR) 30fps vs 2560x1440p 30fps

It appears that setting the video resolution to include HDR bumps up the power draw by about 25 mA / 0.3 Watts.

Parking Modes

Only one of them can be selected at a time.

Parking Mode - Entry - *Modified 03-Aug-2022*

All of the supported parking modes begin by having the vehicle stationary for 5 minutes (no vehicle movement and no vehicle impacts being detected)

Starting with the VT-EBG311 firmware (01-Aug-2022), you can long press the bottom center button while the E1 is in normal recording mode to have the E1 manually enter parking mode.
Firmware versions before VT-EBG311, you can long press the
1658268619319.png
button to manually enter parking mode.

Parking Mode - Exit - *Added 01-Aug-2022*

When the E1's G-sensor detects vehicle movement, the E1 will exit the currently active parking mode and return to normal mode recording.

Collision Detection

This parking mode is a super power saver for the E1. After the vehicle is stationary for 5 minutes, it enters into this parking mode by performing a "power down" by going into what I would call a deep sleep state. While in this deep sleep state, the E1 consumes only 8 mA / 0.1 Watts (part of that being from the hardwire power adapter). When an impact is detected by the E1, it begins a power up process which takes about 9.5 seconds to accomplish and begin recording. The E1 records for 60 seconds and then it goes back into its sleep mode. If the dash camera continues to detect impacts during collision detection recording, it will exit the collision detection mode and enter normal recording mode and it will re-enter collision detection mode when the vehicle remains stationary for 5 minutes.

Motion Detection

After the vehicle is stationary for 5 minutes, the E1 will enter into motion detection parking mode. You can select a sensitivity level from 1 to 5 when you select this parking mode in the firmware settings. The default sensitivity value is 3. When the E1 detects any visible motion in the field of view, it will start recording video including between 3 to 5 seconds before the motion event and 30 seconds after it detected motion for a total of 35 seconds.

Video resolution settings of 1944P and 1440P HDR do not support pre-recording (buffering) function. After enabling motion detection parking mode, the video resolution will automatically be changed to 1440P for recording.

Low Bitrate

When you select the "Low Bitrate' parking mode, you will need to select if you want it to record 1080p 15fps video or 720p 15fps video. After the vehicle is stationary for 5 minutes, the resolution and fps will be changed to the value selected and it will record video with audio for however long it is in this parking mode.

Low Framerate

When you select the "Low Framerate parking mode, you will need to select how many frames per second to use while recording the video (which does not contain any audio). You can select 1 fps/5 fps (default)/10 fps/15 fps.

Hardwire Kit - Low Voltage Cutoff Testing

When I test a hardwire kit with a low voltage cutoff feature, I test to see at what actual voltage level it turns off power to the dash camera. The Vantrue USB-C 2-wire hardwire kit has two voltage selections 12.0V/24.0V or 11.6V/23.2V. I'm testing it using power from a 12-volt power supply. I selected the 12.0V low voltage cutoff value.

Unfortunately, the Vantrue hardwire kit's low voltage cutoff feature did not work. I start my testing with the voltage level set to 12.6 volts. I drop the voltage level by 0.10 volts and I wait 2 or more minutes to see if the low voltage cutoff logic kicks in to power down the dash camera. I drop the voltage by 0.10 volts until I reach the configured voltage level and then I drop it by 0.05 volts until I reach the voltage threshold where the low voltage cutoff logic kicks in. I tested voltages all the way down to 11.25 volts and it never turned off the power to the E1 dash camera. I've sent an inquiry to Vantrue about this behavior.

03-Aug-2022 Update:

I was sent a second Vantrue hardwire kit to test. This second hardwire kit successfully powered down the E1 after the input voltage reached 11.90 volts and was kept at the level for 47 seconds on test 1 and 1 minute 54 seconds on test two. After the power to the E1 was turned off, I measured the power consumed by the hardwire kit in this state and it was consuming 2 mA / 0.024 Watts.

I then wanted to see when the hardwire kit would restore power to the E1 as the voltage level was increased. I increased the input voltage in 0.05 increments and I left the voltage at that level for 2 minutes. When I increased the voltage from 12.30 to 12.35, the hardwire kit supplied power to the E1 within 7 seconds of having the input voltage set to 12.35 volts.

Power Consumption Results - Updated 03-Aug-2022

View attachment 61279

E1 Firmware

On 25-July-2022, Vantrue released a firmware update for the E1. Version VT-EBG021. I updated my E1 with that firmware version before performing my power consumption tests.

Firmware VT-EBG021 - Time Zone - Screen Bug

I found a strange situation when trying to access the "Time Zone" firmware settings screen/page. After I updated to the VT-EBG021 firmware, I used the firmware option to reset all settings to their firmware defaults. That results in you selecting the firmware settings just like you powered up the E1 for the first time. As part of that initial power up firmware settings step, you are prompted for the time zone. That screen looks okay. After using the E1 for some amount of time to gather the power consumption test results, I returned to the settings page for the time zone and that's when I found what looks like a page for another setting when you first enter the "Time Zone" setting page. If you press the down button it corrects the screen to the list of time zones. I've reported this bug to Vantrue.

View attachment 61203
Yep! For the parking mode, Vantrue offers an advanced inbuilt 24 hours triggered parking mode in its Element 1, which means around-the-clock protection and surveillance for the vehicle. This “Smart” Parking Mode in the dash cam ensures immediate recording whenever its G-sensor detects any motion while your vehicle is parked and the engine is off. Parking mode eliminates the need to leave the camera continuously On when you park your car, which helps to minimize unnecessary recording time and save energy.

For the parking mode, you can choose the parking mode you need, including Parking low light night vision/ Collision Detection/ Motion Detection/ Low Bitrates Recording/ Low Frame Rate Mode/ OFF.

I do not post the modified version anywhere yet, as I am testing this firmware myself.
The video has become much better in quality. The only thing you need is a high-speed
memory card, since the bitrate is increased...
Yes! When the low frame rate mode is selected, the camera will record according to the selection of 1FPS/5FPS/10FPS/15FPS.
For example, if you select 1FPS and the current video resolution frame rate is 30FPS, the recorder will generate a 30FPS video per second. Low frame rate mode can greatly preserve the integrity of the video and save space on the memory card.

[Normal Recording Time = Time Lapse Recording Time (Sec) x Recording Frame Rate FPS x Time Lapse Option]
(Time should be converted into seconds)
Note:
1. The time unit of the calculation formula is seconds, so the final normal recording time calculated is also seconds. If you need to convert it into other time units, please check and convert by yourself.
2. The low frame rate mode is similar to the time-lapse recording function, but the difference is that there is no 5-minute entry mechanism for time-lapse recording, which will be directly turned on after setting.
3. In low frame rate mode, the camera also needs a stable power supply. Once the power is off or exhausted, the camera will shut down.

Vantrue just released firmware version EBJ131 for the Element 1 (E1) dash camera. I have not tested this version. At first, the vantrue.net website did not list the changes/fixes in this firmware version, but there is a small list included now. I received a slightly more detailed list from Vantrue via email.

1. Adding voice commands in Japanese to turn on/off Wi-Fi.
2. Fix the issue of the loop recording will be off.
3. Fix the issue of the dash cam not pops up the notification "Please insert card" when there is not sd card in the camera.
4. Fix the time is not display while it is recording.
5. Add a prompt tone when the dash cam pops up a format reminder.
6. Fix a issue when the dashcam exit the parking mode, but the file name is still ends in "P", Not "N"

I asked about the updated E1 with a new internal microphone and I was told I would be updated about that soon.

How do you do the firmware updates? I was unable to find an option in the app anywhere. When I look where the instruction manual says to go there's nothing there.
For upgrading the Firmware:
The system will automatically update if the micro SD card the firmware upgrade file. The camera will restart once the upgrade has been completed.
The latest firmware version is always available at the official VANTRUE website (www.vantrue.net). We strongly recommend registering your product (www.vantrue.net/register) to receive a notification email when a new firmware update is available.

Modified firmware based on the latest official version Vantrue E1 VT-EBJ131 (20221017)

Changelog:
Code:
-High Bitrate
-ExpoTable
-Noise Reduction
-Contrast
-Gamma
-BLC
-Reduce Oversharp
-Others...

Last edited:
Ok, we have to pay for it? I can't find the download link.

Modified firmware based on the latest official version Vantrue E1 VT-EBJ131 (20221017)

Changelog:
Code:
-High Bitrate
-ExpoTable
-Noise Reduction
-Contrast
-Gamma
-BLC
-Reduce Oversharp
-Others...

Ok, we have to pay for it? I can't find the download link.
While I applaud the efforts of anyone tackling modifying a product's firmware, I must request that those discussions be kept in its own thread. This is my thread regarding my testing and hopefully in the next few weeks a review video for the Vantrue E1.

Yesterday, I spent the afternoon rearranging the dash cameras in my car to make room for some dash cameras I have inbound to me. I re-installed two Vantrue E1 dash cameras. I asked Vantrue if they wanted me to check out the Vantrue E1 Lite (1080p dash camera) at the same time that I'm working on completing my review of the E1 (QHD) dash camera. Vantrue is now sending me two Vantrue E1 Lite dash cameras so I can gather footage for the E1 and the E1 Lite dash cameras at the same time. I'm pretty sure the E1 Lite dash cameras will take a week or two to arrive. It's going to be a very busy December for me testing the E1 dash cameras, two A139 Pro 3-channel production dash cameras and two Nextbase 522GW dash cameras.

Vantrue has sent me two Vantrue E1 Lite (1080p) dash cameras. I've received the dash cameras, memory cards and two of their newer 3-wire hardwire kits that have dip switches to allow you to select the low voltage cutoff level (11.6/23.6, 11.9/23.9, 12.2/24.2 and 12.5/24.5). The hardwire kit includes power cutoff timer with user selectable times of 1, 3, 6, 12, 24 hours or unlimited time. I'm still waiting on two CPL filters to be delivered in the next couple of weeks. I'm trying to get two of the E1 2K QHD dash cameras (one with HDR enabled and one with HDR disabled) and two E1 Lite 1080p dash cameras (one with HDR enabled and one with HDR disabled) on my windshield at the same time to gather footage to compare HDR enabled/disabled and 1080p vs 2K QHD.

1670097805945.png 1670097843330.png 1670097884883.png 1670097905594.png 1670101898377.png

Last edited:
Vantrue E1 Lite - Power Consumption Test Results

The E1 Lite being a 1080p dash camera, does use less power in most situations compared to the E1 2K dash camera. On thing I noticed while testing the E1 Lite is the motion detection parking mode does not appear to be buffered since it includes zero seconds of video from before the motion event that triggered the motion detection parking mode recording. I've sent an email to Vantrue asking about that since the E1 2K dash camera seems to include 3 to 5 seconds before the motion event.

The Collision Detection parking mode causes the E1 Lite to go into a low power consumption mode which can greatly extend the amount of time your car or dash camera battery pack can power the E1 Lite. IMO, the fact that the E1 2K and E1 Lite take nine (9) seconds boot up enough to start recording video makes this parking mode option almost worthless. Recording what takes place nine seconds after the impact may be somewhat helpful, but you miss the main action/events that caused the impact. The Thinkware F200 PRO dash camera that I recently tested with the Thinkware Multiplexer would resume recording within 1 to 2 seconds which makes it more likely to record what caused the impact event.

1670263895569.png

Based on the power consumption test results for the four parking modes supported by the E1 Lite, here are my estimated parking mode runtimes when powered by a 76.8 Wh and 96 Wh dash camera battery pack.

1670264538800.png

Element 1 (E1) Firmware EBK231

Vantrue released a new firmware for the E1 dash camera on 5-Dec-2022 - version EBK231. I updated my two E1 dash cameras with the EBK231 firmware. Today, I gathered some footage and when I examined the HDR version of the video, I found a few issues with the HDR video.

Problem 1 - HDR HEVC H.265 Video Stalls/Freezes During Last Several Seconds

The Windows Movie player for Windows 10 with the Microsoft HEVC H.265 codec are installed and I cannot play the video (stalled / frozen video) at the very end (3 to 8 seconds) of each E1 video file with HDR enabled. The video files with HDR disabled can play to the very end. HDR videos created with the previous firmware version of EBJ211 (test version) can be played successfully to the very end of each video file. The same EBK231 HDR video file will play successfully with the Vantrue Player, VLC, and MPC-BE x64. The Windows Movie player is the only one impacted by the HDR video issue on Windows 10.

I examined video files from last Friday when I was still using EBJ211 firmware. The video playback using the Windows Movie player worked without the strange pause/stall at the end of the HDR video.

Problems 2/3 - HDR video file's audio track - shifting audio / large number of dropped audio frames at end of file

The EBK231 HDR audio track has a 14 frame gap at the end of each video file. The EBK231 non-HDR audio track has an approximately 2.5 frame audio gap at the end of each video file.

There’s also a strange shifting in the audio frames between the HDR video’s audio track and the non-HDR video’s audio track. When the two video files are synchronized based on the video action (for instance the changing of a stop light from red-to-green), the audio in the HDR video’s audio track starts off about 2 audio frames ahead of the non-HDR video’s audio track. About 30 seconds into the file, the HDR audio is about 8 audio frames ahead of the non-HDR audio. Near the end of the HDR audio track, it’s about 32 frames (over a second) ahead of the non-HDR audio track and then there's the large 14 audio frame gap at the end as well.

Using firmware EBJ211, the audio gap between the HDR audio track and the non-HDR audio track stayed fairly consistent. The audio gap at the end of the EBJ211 audio tracks with HDR enabled and HDR disabled both were 2.5 audio frames.

There definitely is a change/problem with the EBK231 video/audio tracks. I've reported these issues to Vantrue.

I have E1 HDR and non-HDR video files created with firmware EBJ211 (working) and EBK231 (HDR not fully working) along with a video screen capture showing the playback problems on my Google Drive.

EBK231 example showing the large 14 audio frame gap at the end of the audio track vs the 2.5 frame audio gap for the non-HDR audio track:
1670363847692.png

EBK231 example showing the variable/increasing shift in the audio gap during the 1-minute audio track – video files synchronized to the frame based on distinct video actions (stop light changing red-to-green):
1670363868426.png

EBJ211 example showing the HDR audio track and the non-HDR audio track both ended with a 2.5 audio frame gap.
1670363894966.png

E1 Lite - How Hot Is It?

I purchased a TOPDON TC001 thermal imaging camera during a Black Friday sale. I wanted to start gathering thermal imaging info for the dash cameras I review. I've been using an infrared temp gun, but again a picture is worth a 1000 words. I powered up one of the two E1 Lite dash cameras that I'm prepping for installation in my vehicle. I left it powered on for about 30 minutes in normal recording mode to let the temps stabilize. The USB-C slot on the right side (looking from the rear) and the microSD card slot on the left side are the warmest areas on the camera body. It should be interesting to add thermal imaging shots to my camera reviews.

Here's a picture of the side (empty USB-C port is the hot spot) and front corner of the E1 Lite dash camera.

1670372224125.png

E1 Lite - How Hot Is It?

I purchased a TOPDON TC001 thermal imaging camera during a Black Friday sale. I wanted to start gathering thermal imaging info for the dash cameras I review. I've been using an infrared temp gun, but again a picture is worth a 1000 words. I powered up one of the two E1 Lite dash cameras that I'm prepping for installation in my vehicle. I left it powered on for about 30 minutes in normal recording mode to let the temps stabilize. The USB-C slot on the right side (looking from the rear) and the microSD card slot on the left side are the warmest areas on the camera body. It should be interesting to add thermal imaging shots to my camera reviews.

Here's a picture of the side (empty USB-C port is the hot spot) and front corner of the E1 Lite dash camera.

View attachment 62904
Definitely include things like operating temperature range, storage temperature, and temperature cut-off as cited by the device manufacturer in the camera reviews when you do that.

thermal imaging camera
I so want a thermal,,,,,,, Scope,,,,,, but them bastards not cheap, TBH i also think maybe just a good Night scope ( IR ) would be fine, again not cheap even if to a large degree it is just a dashcam in a long tube more or less.

Now that my VIOFO A139 Pro review is done, it's time to move on to the next dash camera(s) in my review queue. I've had the Vantrue E1 dash cameras for a while. I received two Vantrue E1 Lite (1080p) dash cameras as well from Vantrue.

Yesterday, I spent a few hours rearranging the power/video cable routing for the dash cameras that I review in my car. This was not directly related to the Vantrue E1/E1 Lite reviews, but still something I've wanted to address for a while now. I had a bundle of cables running down from the center rear view mirror to the center console area. That was probably a ticket waiting to happen. I now route the cables from the test dash cameras on the front windshield, down the center of my roof headliner and then down to the rear end of the center console. Power cables then are routed forward to the power connectors for the dash camera battery packs I have for those dash cameras and the rear camera video cables are routed to the rear over the rear seat and up to the center of the rear window. I didn't want to put even more holes in my roof headliner just to route the rear video cables all the way down the center of the headliner. I might change my mind later on about the rear camera cable routing, but for now it's good enough. It's not the prettiest, but my ex-police car was never going to win any beauty awards. :p

I pulled out two A139 Pro 3CH dash cameras and in their place I now have the two Vantrue E1 dash cameras (one with HDR enabled and one with HDR disabled) and two Vantrue E1 Lite dash cameras (one with HDR enabled and one with HDR disabled). Right now, all four Vantrue dashc cameras have a CPL filter installed. Our brief break from the torrential rain storms in Northern California ends this afternoon, but dry weather returns by Friday for a week or so. Hopefully I can get some test day/night drives in while the weather is good.

1674077488198.png

I pulled out two A139 Pro 3CH dash cameras and in their place I now have the two Vantrue E1 dash cameras (one with HDR enabled and one with HDR disabled) and two Vantrue E1 Lite dash cameras (one with HDR enabled and one with HDR disabled). Right now, all four Vantrue dashc cameras have a CPL filter installed.

1674077488198.png
Ha. I remember the days of running 6 cameras at once. Came in handy the day someone hit me!

First sunny daytime drive with all four Vantrue dash cameras installed. Qty 2 - E1 and Qty 2 - E1 Lite.

I stopped at a fueling station with an overhead cover. The E1 Lite with HDR enabled had a really blown out view of the shrubs, buildings and sky.

All four dash cameras had the Vantrue 40mm CPL filter installed. I just went out to my car and confirmed the E1 Lite noted with HDR being enabled truly had it enabled. All of the Vantrue dash cameras have their exposure setting at 0.0.

E1 Lite: Left = HDR Disabled / Right = HDR Enabled
20230120_104217_0095_N_A_E1L_1080p_HDRDisabled.jpg 20230120_104134_0632_N_A_E1L_1080p_HDREnabled.jpg

E1: Left = HDR Disabled / Right = HDR Enabled (DCT website software resizes 2K frame grab to 1080p)
20230120_104211_0069_N_A_E1_2K_HDRDisabled.jpg 20230120_104229_0093_N_A_E1_2K_HDREnabled.jpg

The E1 Lite dash cameras just before pulling into the fueling station. The HDR enabled image is far less blown out than when parked under the cover, but the HDR disabled image is still a bit less blown out.

E1 Lite: Left = HDR Disabled / Right = HDR Enabled
20230120_104217_0095_N_A_E1L_1080p_HDRDisabled_104215.jpg 20230120_104134_0632_N_A_E1L_1080p_HDREnabled_104216.jpg

I'll see what Vantrue has to say about my findings.

Back