Vantrue N2 Pro (Vantrue)

CheckYourLights

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Front&Rear-SH800/ Front 2nd Vico-Opia 2
After dealing with some personal and family related issues I have been looking to get it back in gear here helping get information out about new gadgets. Thankfully Sandy from Vantrue contacted me and was kind enough to provide me with a N2 Pro Dual Dash Cam to take a look at. Lets take a look at what we have here.

n3ihrN8.jpg

Spec Short List
Hardware
Chipset: Novatek NT96660
CMOS Front: OV4689
CMOS Rear:Sony IMX323

GPS: External (Mount)
Battery: 250mAh
USB Plug: Mini (Port on mount and camera)

Firmware
Recording Menu
Resolution Front: 1080P (1080/1080@60/1296/1440P in front cam only modes)
Resolution Rear: 1080P
Loop: 1 min, 3 min, 5min, off
G-Sensor: Low/Med/High/Off
Audio: On/Off
Parking Mode: On/Off
Number Plate: 9 spaces
Stamp: Independtly turn off or on Date/Time,Logo,Number Plate,Speed Stamp,Location
Rotate Display: On/Off
Time Lapse: 1 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec, 30 sec, 1 min
Power Off Delay: On/Off

System Menu
Language
Format
Time and Date: 24 hour clock only
Auto LCD Off: 1 min, 3 min, 5min, off
Device Sond: On/Off
Freq: 50/60
Firmware Version Shipped With:VTN2Pro76.v1
Firmware Version Updated To:VTN2Pro7H.v1

GPS: On/Off
Speed Units: MPH/KMH

File Properties
Audio Chanel: Mono
Audio Codec: MP4A
Audio Bitrate: 96kbps
Video Codec: AVC1
Video Container: MP4
Video Bitrate: 11878kbps (Roughly 11.8Mb)
Size: 265 Mb (Per 3 min file)

Buy from: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0742J69SQ
mFZfxSu.jpg

49HEPtv.jpg

h9mTgIn.jpg

FTkT9ZI.jpg

9HrkbRI.jpg

fkKSac1.jpg

E4exwqT.jpg

LbGunvj.jpg

X58XVpX.jpg

38ELoeh.jpg

Day
MJ5Emlq.png

Seems like the one I have might have trouble adjusting to light.

Last edited:
Night
XpCBKL1.png

83IGi54.png

Li0ehd4.png

Last edited:
Notes
The camera body it self has a nice rubberized grip feeling to it. I'm not a huge fan of the pin mount in general, but that is only because I can't dual lock it as easily as I can with other mounts.

The suction cup holds strong though. My only honest complaint with the mount is that the cable goes into the side of the mount and not the top. So if you have the camera plugged in through the mount it makes it harder to lock and unlock the mount because you have to grab at the top and turn which has a less surface area to grab onto to turn. This makes me plug directly into the camera.

Still trying to figure out why my front camera seems to look the way it does.
EDIT Just updated the firmware on 8/24 will test again

Wish the screen auto off was a little lower. Lowest setting is 1min.

Just for giggles I put it on the inside of my T-Top. Not as exciting as I had hoped. The camera sits too high and catches mostly the roof liner.

The little door where the SD card goes is a good idea. In the picture I took i popped it all the way off, but if you do it right it actually pops up and swivels. Really neat.

Last edited:
When you get the chance it would be nice to see some interior clips both day and night :D With the IMX323 sensor it should do good in darkness which could make this one the current leader in "Taxi" cams- a rather poorly addressed segment of the Dashcam market. Also a bit about GPS performance if you have that option :)

The driving vid you posted isn't impressive- colors seem over-saturated or possibly all is overexposed- but it's good enough for general driving protection. Again looking froward to seeing what it can do at night :)

Good to see you active here again :cool:

Phil

When you get the chance it would be nice to see some interior clips both day and night
Added a still for now. I'm not a huge fan of being on camera myself, but i'll see what I can do.
Also a bit about GPS performance if you have that option
I don't believe I do. My mount feels very light, and the tip of it seems to be different from the GPS mount they sell for the camera in their Amazon store front.
With the IMX323 sensor it should do good in darkness which could make this one the current leader in "Taxi" cams- a rather poorly addressed segment of the Dashcam market.
This is what I thought as well. I have only had it for about a day at this point, but it seems like it would make a good camera for someone who ride shares, rents cars, or rents out cars
The driving vid you posted isn't impressive- colors seem over-saturated or possibly all is overexposed- but it's good enough for general driving protection
We are on the same wavelength here as well. I have it set to zero at the moment. I might turn it down a little and see how it gets along. At dusk the sky looks a little blown out too. I wonder if bumping the bitrate up will make things a little better.

Good to see you active here again
Thanks

Last edited:
Bump for clips running newer firmware

Last edited:
More clips with even newer firmware (VTN2Pro7H.V3)

Last edited:
Does parking mode only trigger on the front cam or does it trigger on rear (cabin) cam also?

How does the video quality compare to the 119/119S?

I was hoping to test this camera this week, but unfortunately I have had to cancel the order through Amazon.co.uk because of a technical issue with Amazon that they are not able to solve. I am not able to order this camera directly through Vantrue, in the UK, by the looks of it, which is a shame.

I have finally been testing the Vantrue N2 Pro Dash Cam and it has been an interesting experience. The video quality is very good. I got the camera to film the inside of the car in darkness and I am very impressed with the quality. The front camera colour is a bit blue, but it works well. Although I am overwhelmed by another camera that I have, I would recommend this camera too.

This camera would be great for taxi's.

Last edited:
I have run into problems with the Vantrue N2 Pro mount. Although I do recommend the camera with GPS for recording the speed I can't recommend the GPS mount because it has fallen off of the window 4 times now. I have cleaned the window and the mount, but still no change so I am not using the camera at the moment, until I can think of an alternative to secure the camera.

The mount had also decided to seal itself to the camera so I was not able to separate the two! After some time, with a few people trying, we have finally managed to separate the camera from the mount. The clip had somehow got stuck. We have tested it a few more times and it is now working.

I contacted the company eventually and they sent a new suction mount which has stayed on the window through all conditions.
The only problem I have is where to mount the camera as I already have another camera in a position where the N2 Pro would normally go, without restrictions of view from the rear view mirror or the sun visor when it is used. I do not want to move the other camera because that is my main camera and it is in the best place. I personally think that the N2 Pro would best be fitted to the rear view mirror so that it just drops down below the center of the mirror to film everyone who is in the car. I have a few ideas on how to accomplish this, but I would need to work out how to attach the GPS.

Does parking mode only trigger on the front cam or does it trigger on rear (cabin) cam also?

How does the video quality compare to the 119/119S?

Hi. I haven't tested the camera with parking mode yet as I am using another camera at the moment for that, but I would assume that both front and rear cameras would record. I am removing the N2 Pro when parking for long periods of time at the moment because it is in a position that can be seen clearly on the windscreen and I feel that it would attract criminals. My latest fault with the camera is a rattling sound, which I think could be the buttons that rattle and pick up on the recordings. I have contacted Vantrue to let them know. Other than that, the camera has been really reliable and I really like it.

The video quality is excellent. As I do not have 119/119s I am not able to compare.

An update to my last post.
Vantrue customer service has been great so far. They have offered a partial refund or a replacement, although sending the camera back is a bit of a risk by the sounds of it. I asked someone with a bit more knowledge about product design and they advised that I keep the camera and accept a partial refund as it looks like there is a design fault with the camera buttons. Replacing it will probably produce the same fault with another camera further down the line. We have cut some black electrical tape to size and placed it over the buttons, which has stopped the rattling sound.

Last edited:
Vantrue have offered to send me a newly designed GPS mount which should be interesting as the old one does become loose sometimes and you need to tighten the screws, but from the image that they have sent, it still looks quite bulky. We will see when it arrives. It looks like the camera can be turned all the way around now. It is quite difficult to do that with the old mount. (Not that you need to, but it's nice to know that you can cover every part of the car).

Hi.
The new dashcam mount has arrived and it is a lot more rigid. It's not the same one that was shown to me in the photo that Vantrue sent, but it does the job. I will say though that it brings the camera down even lower on the screen because of the design. It would help me if the camera was higher up, but that would mean redesigning the whole unit so that the GPS part went to the side and not to the top.

Attachments

• DSC_0209.JPG
    DSC_0209.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 29
First post and new to dash cams here. I picked up the Vantrue N2 Pro Dual after buying and installing a DDpai Mini3 that died after 5 days. I did not know of DCT at the time, but the N2 Pro was reviewed favorably on sites like Wirecutter and is a bestseller on Amazon. A couple points that have not been mentioned to date:

New Mount
The standard suction mount has been updated. Now ships with ball socket connector that articulates in every direction. Apparently the joint is stronger than the older version. The suction cup holds strongly to glass, but would not stick to the flat textured plastic of my rear view mirror housing. I wish they included an adhesive mount option with a smaller footprint.

Color Corrected Firmware
The firmware has been updated a couple of times. One update includes color correction to remove the blue tint in previous versions for the front camera. It is better, but the image is still oversaturated. It does not seem the engineers understand color temperature or are familiar with color calibration. As a photographer, this bugs me, as I think dash cams should offer realistic color instead of overly saturated skies and signage. In contrast, the rear facing interior camera with Sony sensor has very nice color temperature in daytime. They would be wise to match it on the front camera.

Hardwire Kit Out of Stock
At this time, the hardwire kit is unavailable, so I’m stuck using the 12v plug adapter. While other hardwire kits may be compatible, I’m not clear if there is a better one or if they are guaranteed to work with the N2 Pro. Vantrue states a new shipment arrives next week, and I wonder if it will include any improvement. Including the piggy-back fuse holder like other brands would be smart.

Back