Vantrue N5 - 4CH Dash Camera Test & Review - RCG

Today, I drove my weekly shopping trip route and the outside temps were in the mid-60sF/18.3C.
The bottom of the N5 front camera body was super hot with a temp of 201.8F/94.3C. That is the hottest temperature I've ever observed with any dash camera in any mode of operation (even during the much hotter summer months).
Yikes!

I checked the vantrue.net website to see if any firmware updates were available for the N5. I did find a front camera firmware file was available for download. There was no change log info for the firmware update.

The firmware version info for the N5 as it was when I unboxed it:

1685346178967.png

The vantrue.net website info for the N5 front camera firmware update:

1685346224294.png

I installed the ECE221 front camera firmware by downloading it and placing it on the microSD card and then powering up the N5. The system info then showed firmware versions:

1685346387945.png

When I exited and then re-entered the Vantrue Android app that now supports the N5, it prompted me that another firmware update was available for the N5.

1685346478328.png

I downloaded the rear camera firmware file to perform the firmware update OTA. After it was downloaded to my Android device, I clicked on the "Transfer to the dashcam immediately" button. The file was transferred to the N5 and the N5 then proceeded to install the update and rebooted after it was completed.

1685346559247.png

The "System Info" shows the following firmware versions after the updates. The Vantrue app did not indicate any firmware updates were available for the N5 (cabin).

1685346689868.png

I just saw this comment about OTA firmware updates on Viofo's latest YouTube video.
What are the Pros & Cons of updating a dash cam OTA vs. the traditional way with SD Card?
I can see how OTA can be more convenient, but something tells me the SD Card method might be safer.

Screenshot 2023-05-29 5.24.28 AM.png

I just saw this comment about OTA firmware updates on Viofo's latest YouTube video.
What are the Pros & Cons of updating a dash cam OTA vs. the traditional way with SD Card?
I can see how OTA can be more convenient, but something tells me the SD Card method might be safer.
The OTA process seems to be "just as safe" as the microSD card method as long as the OTA method verifies that the file transferred to the dash camera is intact. BlackVue dash cameras have had the OTA method for firmware updates for a long time using their BlackVue Cloud connection as one way to copy the firmware down to the dash camera or using the app to transfer it to the dash camera over a Wi-Fi connection. I've never had a problem using their OTA method.

I like having a copy of the firmware file for my file repository just in case I need to revert to that version at a later time (after an even later firmware upgrade that may have bugs). The N5 OTA update for the rear camera firmware is one example where the website does not have it available, so I cannot get a copy of that firmware for my file repository.

Convenience is a big advantage. Another one is that you will always have the right firmware version for the dashcam.
If the file is verified to be "complete" after the transfer I don't see any disadvantages with this method.

I just tried OTA firmware update for the first time on 70mai dashcams, it was very nice, and best of all, after the update i did not have to do my settings again just like i have done for a decade.
Only down i could see is if you already are a data hog on the phone and so barely able to handle the MB a firmware is.

I dont think a camera would say update with a partial Dl firmware or something like that.

The kind of smarts i very much like.

View attachment 65398

I posted a video 3 years ago showing how easy it was to update the Viofo A129 Duo via their app.

I was surprised how seamless the process was.
I don't know why they disabled this process and of course these days you can't have lte enabled so the option that is still in the app is redundant and should really be removed.

Due to viofo being so accommodating with firmware modifications I think it would require a more complex menu in the app for updating the firmware.

Again the app would also need to offer the ability to reverse updates when a problem is encountered.

I agree with @rcg530 having the physical files to fall back on. It would be ideal if @viofo had a repository of all the firmware they have created with more in-depth change logs.

Here's the video of how seamless the firmware update was.

My first drive with the N5 in my car seemed to show that the N5's rear camera (interior and rear facing) were both out of focus. Today, I wanted to open my second N5 dash camera box and update the firmware on that N5 (front and rear). After the firmware update, I will swap the rear cameras. I decided to use the OTA method for both the front and rear firmware updates. There was "tense" moment when the Vantrue app claimed the firmware file upload the N5 failed (right after the second file was sent to it).

Firmware versions installed in the N5 as it was removed from the box:
1685390273303.png

After making the initial connection from the Android Vantrue app v1.0.23 and then exiting to the list of known cameras, this prompt appeared:
1685390382846.png

These next two screen shots are right at the end of the second firmware file transfer to the N5 and then the "error message" stating it failed.
1685390447329.png 1685390474695.png

After the error message prompt was displayed, I left the app alone. The N5 rebooted to install the front camera firmware file and then it rebooted again to install the rear camera firmware file "successfully". Here are the firmware versions after the update:
1685390575818.png

It appears the "Transfer failed" message for the OTA firmware upload to the camera was incorrect(?).

I then swapped out the rear camera that I had in my car with the one from this camera. The live view seems to suggest the second N5 rear camera has better focus on the interior and rear cameras. Tomorrow, I'll drive my car with the second rear camera in place. Hopefully, it will be "in focus". I tried to find an installation location for the second N5 front camera to have both recording video at the same time, but due to its large windshield footprint, I just can't install it without making it block my line of sight while driving (begging for a citation from the police). I might be able to get the N5 front camera unit on the windshield after I remove a couple other dash cameras, but even then the front interior camera will be blocked by the center rear view mirror.

This morning, I drove my car to the local post office. Checking the focus quality of the replacement (from the second N5 dash camera box) rear camera shows that its focus quality much better than the previous unit. The updating of the rear camera firmware to version ECE101 also seems to have improved the exposure levels for the rear camera video. The rear camera firmware HDR setting was enabled (default value) for both tests.

I changed the firmware setting to remove the large "VANTRUE" label in the upper left corner and that also removes the model number "N5" from the status line text.

n5_courthouse_driveway_d.gif

The rear interior camera's focus is better with the second rear camera unit installed, but it's only somewhat better than original rear camera unit.
n5_courthouse_driveway_c.gif

I created a short video with video samples from all VANTrue N5 cameras. The video/audio is from a short trip to the local post office. I encountered a driver that did not look both ways before entering the roadway.

I checked the front video file for dropped/duplicated frames with the updated firmware installed (ECE221). I found dropped frames but at less frequent pace than before the firmware update. I did not find any duplicated frames (so far).

Raw video files are available here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FJLCB27sLOc0qK0vazkcJSXqq95wCRvI?usp=drive_link

Last edited:
I created a short video with video samples from all VANTrue N5 cameras.
Wow, that was close. Good reaction skills.
I think I’m most impressed by the rear interior camera POV. It really shows the near miss unfold.
I see the IR LED’s are set to AUTO on both interior cameras but, the front IR camera shows your seat belts, and t-shirt as purple, while the rear IR camera shows them as black.
Is that a software bug?

I almost got caught out by complacency today.
So leaving my mothers place, there is a 1 M tall hedge, so clear view of the street i turn into.
BUT ! today a small tall trailer was parked there right at the exit, and i did not compensate for this, so the lady coming from the Left slammed her brake, so did i, and then reversed a few feet back so she could carry on.

I should be a better driver than that.

I see the IR LED’s are set to AUTO on both interior cameras but, the front IR camera shows your seat belts, and t-shirt as purple, while the rear IR camera shows them as black.
Is that a software bug?
I checked the other "B" (front interior) video files and my shirt and the seat belts always have that purplish hue to them. I'll ask Vantrue about that.

I checked the other "B" (front interior) video files and my shirt and the seat belts always have that purplish hue to them. I'll ask Vantrue about that.
Do double lines mean the same thing where you live. In AU you're never allowed to cross them unless directed to do so....

The pink from the interior camera looks like the IR filter is not engaged.

On Viofo T130 and A129 Duo IR they don't have the IR filter so the cab footage is always pinkish when in daylight mode. At night they force the dashcam to black and white, a cost cutting measure I'd say.

In the Vantrue S2 it is a mechanical movement of the IR filter that snaps across the internal lens. It has an external sensor (looks like a LED) to detect when to change.

Cheers.

Do double lines mean the same thing where you live. In AU you're never allowed to cross them unless directed to do so....

On Viofo T130 and A129 Duo IR they don't have the IR filter so the cab footage is always pinkish when in daylight mode. At night they force the dashcam to black and white, a cost cutting measure I'd say.

In the Vantrue S2 it is a mechanical movement of the IR filter that snaps across the internal lens. It has an external sensor (looks like a LED) to detect when to change.

Cheers.
@rcg530
I found this on their web site a previous firmware update that mentions the purplish colour.
Perhaps they left it out in a later update!

VTN41E.V12.6/VTN41E.V12.6_JP 2021-11-27​

1. Corrected the issue of video image being purplish of the cabin camera.

One set of solid double yellow lines means the traffic traveling on that street cannot pass. You may exit or enter the roadway when there is only one set of solid double yellow lines.

When there are two set of solid double yellow lines, you may not, pass, turn across or enter the roadway by crossing those lines. Two sets of solid double yellow lines are to be treated just like a raised cement barrier meaning you cannot travel into/through any area boarded by two sets of solid double yellow lines.

When I first powered up the N5 in my garage it was dark enough for the IR LEDs to be turned on and the click could be heard. As I started backing out of the garage, I could hear both the front interior and rear interior IR filters "click" and the IR LEDs were turned off. The rear interior camera looked okay, but the front interior video then started to have the purplish hue on things like the seat belts and my black shirt.

20230530_n5_ir_filter.gif

One set of solid double yellow lines means the traffic traveling on that street cannot pass. You may exit or enter the roadway when there is only one set of solid double yellow lines.

When there are two set of solid double yellow lines, you may not, pass, turn across or enter the roadway by crossing those lines. Two sets of solid double yellow lines are to be treated just like a raised cement barrier meaning you cannot travel into/through any area boarded by two sets of solid double yellow lines.

When I first powered up the N5 in my garage it was dark enough for the IR LEDs to be turned on and the click could be heard. As I started backing out of the garage, I could hear both the front interior and rear interior IR filters "click" and the IR LEDs were turned off. The rear interior camera looked okay, but the front interior video then started to have the purplish hue on things like the seat belts and my black shirt.

View attachment 65421
Looks like it changed its mind as you backed out!
I wonder if that previous firmware fix did get left out of the later releases?

Look forward to hearing how it's sorted out.

Cheers.

Only Yellow lines on the road in Denmark is when there is roadworks, they then mean the same as our white lines but are just temporary.

Really our lines are a mess too.
So 2 solid lines you can not cross for any reason.
Then we have a single solid with a broken line beside it, this mean you can pass ( overtake ) but not cross the solid line, in other words it is a motorcycle can overtake if the idiot in the car will keep right. CUZ there are no road here with that kind of markings that will allow a car to overtake another car.
The meaning with those might also be for car drivers passing a cyclist, and so indicate how far left you can go passing a cyclist, and if thats not enough and there is oncoming traffic, you have to slow down and stay behind cyclist until you can pass in a safe orderly manner.

The blocking surfaces are painted zebra striped like a crosswalk though diagonal, you can not park there or cross it, or that is you can in places where its surrounding line is not solid, ( like you can see in the picture below )

iu

Back