Vantrue OnDash X4S

Ambruglia

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Vantrue X4S, Yi Dashcam, Apeman C450s
Searching the web over the past few weeks looking for a replacement for my Yi Dashcam, and Apeman C450A, I discovered ads and sponsored video reviews for the X4S peppered over the web. The dashcamtalk forum kept on coming up in search results when searching for dashcam specs and details, but hadn't seen much about this cam here, aside from its predecessor the X4.

While Am4zon has hundreds of ratings for this dashcam, it only has 33 reviews, and most of the video reviews on Youtub3 seem sponsored and are there to drive sales. (see search engine results for "Vantrue X4S", tw1tter, its mostly all marketing or bot/AI generated articles) Maybe there just isn't a strong market for dashcam reviews as there is for other products.

Anyway, the X4S is advertised as a 4K Wifi dashcam with a Wide Dynamic Range sensor. Technical specs on their website/shop is a bit sparse.
Vantrue X4S.png
Image Sensor: OmniVision 8M CMOS Sensor w/ F1.7
Storage: 256GB microSD card max
Port: Type-C
Battery & Charging: Super Capacitor (temp rated between -4° to 176°F (-20° to 70°C)
Microphone&Speaker: Built in
Screen: 3 inch
WiFi Download Speed: 2.4 GHZ 2-3MB/s; 5GHz 6-8MB/s
Country of Origin: China
Date First Available: April 28, 2022

I hadn't opened the dashcam, but after some (virtual) digging, I found the likely image sensor is the OmniVision OS08A10 low-power 8-Megapixel 4K2K sensor.
The datasheet says the image sensor supports the following resolutions:
- 4K2K (3840x2160) @ 30fps
- 2560 x 1440 @ 60 & 30fps
- 1080p (1920x1080) 60 & 30fps
- 720p (1280x720) 1440P+720P(HDR)

Some other details that weren't immediately obvious on the specs when researching the cam,
FOV is 131°
and the video processor: NT96670
Haven't checked the video codec, but some European sellers claim the videos are in H.265 MP4 format, others say the codec is H.264.

The camera has 2-channel ability, where you can hook up a rear 1080p cam with a IMX307 SONY STARVIS sensor

The front facing cam records details decently when there's plenty of light bouncing off the landscape for the cam to pick up, but as is the case with smaller pixel sizes in 4K cameras (OS08A10 pixel size is 2 μm x 2 μm), the captured video appears much darker at night and on shadows compared to non-4K cameras.

There are some other Chinese dashcams with very similar form-factors and specs like the YEECORE D21, and the Samoon E93HID, which are listed significantly cheaper than the $199 X4S.

This Vantrue X4S camera isn't bad, in fact in the daytime captures are quite good, its the limits of the small OmniVision 4K sensor's inability to capture light off poorly illuminated surfaces. It would be improved if the sensor was larger, allowing for more light to be captured. I do like the suction mount though :)

If the Thinkware QHD X1000 dashcam was cheaper, had a 12V plug rather than the hardwired option, had a suction-cup mount, and came in only a front-facing configuration, it'd be my number 1 choice, simply because I like the rectangular hanging form factor.

Vantrue X4S Duo 4K Dash Camera - Install, Review, Driving Footage from SimpleCarGuy​

Vantrue X4S Duo 4k Dual WIFI Dash Cam Review from Everyday Reviews// Crisp, Easy and Affordable​

Is this a good 4K Dash camera-Vantrue OnDash X4S Duo Review from WORTH IT OR NOT?​

Vantrue X4S Dual Wi-Fi Dashcam Unboxing, Setup & Review from AShogunNamedDavidTV​

Vantrue DashCam N4, N2S, X4S, T3 Dash Cam GPS Receiver Module REVIEW​

Vantrue X4S DUO WiFi Front and Rear Dash Cam, Front Camera Night Test​

Vantrue X4S DUO 4K WiFi Front and Rear Dash Cam, Front Camera Recording Day Test​

Looking good.

I have yet to test a 4K dash camera, but i recon it will happen soon, that is if the kickstarter i support dont get delayed again, it is about a year delayed now.

Is there a cpl filter for windshield glare?
Vantrue X4S is not supported the CPL filter. But Vantrue E series all can be equipped with CPL filter.
  • This 40mm CPL filter is used for Vantrue E1, E1 Lite dash cam and E2 front lens. Note: It doesn't work for other Vantrue dash cams.
  • It can effectively reduce reflections, enhance contrast and boost saturation while retaining neutral color rendition in all your shots.
  • Aluminum alloy CNC non-slip design, easy to install and remove the filter. Super slim 5.5mm rim profile greatly avoids vignettes on wide-angle lenses.
  • Multi-resistant coating, anti-scratch, anti-fingerprint, anti-static, oil-resistant and water-resistant.
1667294204301.png1667294252814.png

Back