VANTRUE R1 1080p Dashcam (NT96650 and Aptina AR330) - unboxing and review

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
VANTRUE sent this camera for review. Thank you Joe.
VANTRUE has recently launched this R1 dashcam in it's Amazon store.

The R1 is based on NT96650 chip with Aptina AR0330 lens and here is the product link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00UA29I2E
Quick unboxing video:

While it's based on the same as in G1W, G1WH and their thousands of versions, this R1 looks very different due to it's design.
In size, it's smaller than G1WH and instead of the usual lens in the center design, R1 has lens on the left and has rounded silver housing.
The lens barrel is enclosed in a shiny chrome ring and there is a silver label in the middle that says 'Car DVR, Full HD 1080p'.
So it's not as discrete as some may like but not too noticeable as it's not too big.

DSC01974-small.jpg

R1 with it's metallic type body feel much better build quality compared to the generic G1WX versions.
All the buttons are chrome plated and feel solid.
The buttons in R1 are all on the back unlike some on the top and some on the back in G1WH (that is hard to access while driving or behind the rear view).

The box is specifically printed for this dashcam with it's pictures on the box.
The user manual is detailed and also specifically printed for the model.
Playback mode has option to delete video clips in the dashcam itself.
Parking monitor mode keeps the dashcam on and records when there is movement.

DSC01965-small.jpg
DSC01966-small.jpg

All buttons are on the back and properly labelled.
Left side of the LCD has Mode, OK and menu buttons.
OK also acts as record start/stop.
Right side of the LCD has Up, Power and down buttons.
There is no dedicated Event/Incident button so you have to press 'Menu' button to protect the clip manually.
There are tiny LED's on the right side of LCD.
Top blinks green when it's recording and the bottom turns red while charging.

Mini USB, mount and optional GPS port on the top.
Very clean looking.
DSC01971-small.jpg

The unit I got didn't come with GPS module but is available as per the manual so that's one thing generic G1Wx can't claim to have..

There are no buttons nor ports on the sides.

Bottom has mini HDMI and microSD card slots nicely covered by a rubberized cover:
DSC01972-small.jpg

Front with suction mount side-by-side with Rexing F9 and Lukas LK-7950WD:
DSC01976-small.jpg

R1 from inside the car side-by-side with Rexing F9 and Lukas LK-7950WD: DSC01977-small.jpg

It looks stylish and has better build quality than generic G1WX dashcam.
More coming soon on its video and audio quality.

Last edited:
Browsing through some Menu settings:
Pretty similar menu options like in other NT96650 based dashcams:

DSC01978-small.jpg DSC01979-small.jpg DSC01980-small.jpg DSC01981-small.jpg DSC01982-small.jpg DSC01983-small.jpg DSC01984-small.jpg

File location and daytime bit rate:
It's very good at 16 mbps. Usually, generic G1WX are only around 12mbps unless upgraded with other dashcams' firmware.
352mb for 3 minute clip.

Vantrue-R1-Filesize-bitrate.PNG

Night VBR is also very similar at 15.9 mbps and 30fps. Nice!

Vantrue-R1-Filesize-bitrate-night.PNG

The high VBR suggests it should have good video quality...

Last edited:
...not too noticeable as it's not too big.

Who are you kidding? This thing takes indiscreet to a new level. It would look conspicuous in a Jeepney.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Too much chrome and other bling-bling. IR lights are useless.
If to paint it matte-black, then it will be less noticeable.

It reminds me of two things - the Stargate and the Large Hadron Collider!

Unusual choice of bitrate though!

One of those times when you leave the plastic film on the lens & break out the spray can of matte black paint.

Yes, it's time for the Chinese manufacturers/retailers to design dashcams based on US market or at least remove flashy colors.
These may not be as noticeable for rear cam with tinted rear window but shiny chrome has to go from dashcams in general.

Even if the dashcam is big, making it all black is very good for making it as discrete as possible, specially for the dark colored rear view mirrors.
If the dashcam is black and small, even better.

It reminds me of two things - the Stargate and the Large Hadron Collider!
Unusual choice of bitrate though!
The VBR is very high which is a good thing.
As you may have noticed, file size for a 3 minute clip is around 352mb.
G1WH with it's official firmware is only around 288mb unless it has the Shadow GT300 firmware and even then it's not as high as on the R1.

Not being discrete aside, audio/video quality is very good.
The date time stamp is in the bottom center in big text.

Few screenshots showing how good the focus is in all areas, even in the corners:
I tried to grab screenshots to show signs and plates in both corners.

14490018.MOV_20150405_213901.388.jpg

14490018.MOV_20150405_213919.626.jpg

14490018.MOV_20150405_213930.107.jpg

14490018.MOV_20150405_213959.874.jpg

14520019.MOV_20150405_214016.424.jpg

14520019.MOV_20150405_214028.500.jpg

18030007.MOV_20150405_105622.168.jpg

18030007.MOV_20150405_110002.395.jpg

18030007.MOV_20150405_110029.790.jpg

18030007.MOV_20150405_110036.434.jpg
As you can see, number plates and signs are easily readable even at 70mph on the highways.

Need to edit videos to upload...

Last edited:
Too much chrome and other bling-bling. IR lights are useless.
If to paint it matte-black, then it will be less noticeable.
They only way it would be more noticeable is if there were multi-colored, flashing LEDs around the body. ;)

They only way it would be more noticeable is if there were multi-colored, flashing LEDs around the body. ;)

I expect some manufacturer will take that onboard and have something out in the market soon to meet your demand ;)

Yes, it's time for the Chinese manufacturers/retailers to design dashcams based on US market or at least remove flashy colors.
These may not be as noticeable for rear cam with tinted rear window but shiny chrome has to go in dashcams in general.

this model is another generic Chinese cam, it sells in Australia as well under another name, hasn't proven to be popular, quite likely for the same reasons as it's too blingy, but that's what most buyers do, just take some existing product and put their name on it and sell it as is, some people will buy it like that, so little effort involved from the distributor

I expect some manufacturer will take that onboard and have something out in the market soon to meet your demand ;)
Don't encourage them, please - there's enough distractions on the road now without people competing to see who can have the most 'in your face' dash cam. :rolleyes:

Don't encourage them, please - there's enough distractions on the road now without people competing to see who can have the most 'in your face' dash cam. :rolleyes:

there's some contenders out there already, the stuff that's popular in the domestic market would never sell anywhere else

there's some contenders out there already, the stuff that's popular in the domestic market would never sell anywhere else
:eek:

It's not a requirement to have dashcams discrete. It depends upon your use.
Personally, I don't mind dashcams that are noticeable from outside and have never done any spray painting of any of the dashcams I have/had from G1W with chrome ring to G95A that looks like an actual silver digital camera.
I mostly either park at home/garage, office or at friends' place and when I go out, it's mostly dedicated parking lots that are either visible from where I am or has security as mall's parking lot.
In fact, while driving I've noticed tailgaters giving me space once they come up close and realize there is a dashcam. ;)

Having discrete is more important for those who park in not so safe areas and/or have enabled parking monitor.
Personal and usage preference.

there are some markets where the more noticeable cameras are preferred, normally because these are places where insurance fraud is rife, those are bigger markets and get more attention with targeted products

there are some markets where the more noticeable cameras are preferred, normally because these are places where insurance fraud is rife, those are bigger markets and get more attention with targeted products
That makes sense.
Reminds me of the video where a guy jumped in front on the windshield (I think in China).
If there was a big flashy dashcam that's visible from outside, he'd never have banged his head and cracked the windshield for nothing except some beating from the driver. :D

Last edited:
Hmm...maybe i will make mod to my Rolls Royce, i take that hood ornament away and put my dvr there, perfect solution:)

Hmm...maybe i will make mod to my Rolls Royce, i take that hood ornament away and put my dvr there, perfect solution:)

I'm pretty confident that RR owners don't go for generic mass market dashcams, I know I wouldn't have. :D

Back