Varying the front camera recording mode...

SWoMP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at getting the 129 Pro Duo but am a bit concerned about file capacity on long journeys. Ideally I'd like to vary the recordings for two different scenarios, 4k for use on Track Days, and a lesser capability for longish road journeys.

I have seen reference to changing the fps rate. Can this be done? And, if so, is it easy to do?

I've also seen reference to taking the unit out of the car when not in use... If I were to do this everytime the car wasn't expected to be used for a while, is it easy to do or might regular removal / replacement stress the camera to mount connectors?

Thanks to all for answers so far - I'm getting closer to a decision!

I have seen reference to changing the fps rate. Can this be done? And, if so, is it easy to do?
Best to reduce the bitrate a bit, or more if you want to save a lot. You can easily work out how long you get with each bitrate setting, and with a lower bitrate you will still get full detail if you are not going too fast.

Or get a second card to swap in when you stop for a meal break.

s it easy to do or might regular removal / replacement stress the camera to mount connectors?
It is designed to be feasible to remove and replace it every day, and is easy, although if you are using a rear camera with it then that needs to be unplugged before sliding it off the mount.

Thanks for that Nigel. How does one adjust the bitrate? Although I've seen the website specs I'm not familiar with the software menus...

And your comments about a second card has set me thinking. On my old system, many of the user preference settings were stored on the card, so could I have one card for lower bitrate journeys and a second one for track usage and swap the settings just by changing cards.

Thanks for that Nigel. How does one adjust the bitrate? Although I've seen the website specs I'm not familiar with the software menus...

And your comments about a second card has set me thinking. On my old system, many of the user preference settings were stored on the card, so could I have one card for lower bitrate journeys and a second one for track usage and swap the settings just by changing cards.
There is a bitrate setting in the menu.

Thanks for the replies. A couple of supplementary questions if I may:

- Does the screen stay on all the time or does it turn itself off - or can it be turned on and off manually?
- If I order the Duo, will it run for the forward camera only without the rear camera being plugged in (my current unit wont!)?

- And how much adjustment is there in the horizontal plane of the cameras, and in particular the rear camera (my current rear camera worked fine in an hatchback but in my current car with a steely raked screen I had to pad up the front of the camera mount in order to get a good horizontal view)?

TIA

Back