VAVA 2K Dashcam Review

Austin Roberts

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was sent a VAVA 2K Dashcam by VAVA to test out and review.

Link to website: https://www.vava.com/caraccessories-dash-cam/VA-CD001-3BF0325777F6

Link to product: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07D7XBK4K

What is in the box:
  • 1 x VAVA Dash Cam (Model: VA-VD005)
  • 1 x VAVA Car Charger
  • 1 x Car Mount
  • 1 x Micro USB Cable
  • 1 x Crowbar
  • 5 x Cable Clips
  • 1 x SD Card Ejector
  • 1 x User Guide
What is sold separately:
  • GPS Module
  • Snapshot Button

The VAVA dash cam is all packed very nicely in the box. Set up was very easy and can be done by anyone. After setting everything up, the first thing I noticed was how discrete the whole unit was. In the past I have had dash cams that can be seen in my peripheal while I'm driving. Although, the VAVA is compact and discreet, depending on where you place it. The other thing I found that was a plus, was that the dash cam connects to the mount by magnet. Along with this, the mount can swivel to get the dash cam placed in the right direction, or move in any direction in the car.

The app set up ease differs depending on whether you have iOS or Android. I have an Android phone, and the set up was not very smooth. Even after entering in the password for the wifi which connected my phone to the dash cam, the app insisted that I set up the wifi. I was able to figure out how to get around this, but it is too difficult to explain in a review. When I borrowed my brother's iPhone, set up was very smooth with no issues. Even though it is not smooth for Android, it is not something that would be a deal breaker. My reasoning is that I am not someone who connects very often to look at videos unless absolutely needed.

The app software is very well put together. Settings are very easy to adjust and are simple to understand. The only thing I did not enjoy and probably would change is the way the videos are categorized. There are three categories: (1) Snapshots, (2) Loops, and (3) Emergency. If you have the emergency sensor set up, the emergency videos are separated from the regular loops. While this seems convenient, it makes it hard to find a specific video slightly difficult because they are separated into two tabs. I would have preferred all videos to be together and emergency videos to have a lock symbol for the emergency videos.

When it comes to the quality of the video, I was very impressed. The videos are very clear and flow very smoothly. My favorite thing about the VAVA camera is that it has a wide angel and covers all lanes while driving. Audio is also clear on the videos. Compared to other dash cams I have had in the past, the VAVA has had the widest angle view covering many lanes of traffic. To me, this is one of the most important functions of a dash cam. I want my dash cam to cover as much as I can see with my own eyes, and VAVA does a great job at accomplishing that. Overall, I would recommend the VAVA dash cam to anyone interested in purchasing it.

Photo Disclaimer: Screenshots were taken when windows were dirty and when it was overcast. Picture/Video Quality is much better than shown in the screesnhots.

Pros:
  • Great video quality
  • Wide angle view
  • Magnetic mount that swivels in all diretions

Cons (May differ depending on user preference):
  • App functionality depends on phone operating system (room for improvement on Android)
  • Snapshot button sold separately

Attachments

• IMG_20180701_131131.jpg
    IMG_20180701_131131.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 20180622_173425_012.JPG
    20180622_173425_012.JPG
    260.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 20180621_200921_006.JPG
    20180621_200921_006.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 41
I was sent a VAVA 2K Dashcam by VAVA to test out and review.

Link to website: https://www.vava.com/caraccessories-dash-cam/VA-CD001-3BF0325777F6

Link to product: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07D7XBK4K

What is in the box:
  • 1 x VAVA Dash Cam (Model: VA-VD005)
  • 1 x VAVA Car Charger
  • 1 x Car Mount
  • 1 x Micro USB Cable
  • 1 x Crowbar
  • 5 x Cable Clips
  • 1 x SD Card Ejector
  • 1 x User Guide
What is sold separately:
  • GPS Module
  • Snapshot Button

The VAVA dash cam is all packed very nicely in the box. Set up was very easy and can be done by anyone. After setting everything up, the first thing I noticed was how discrete the whole unit was. In the past I have had dash cams that can be seen in my peripheal while I'm driving. Although, the VAVA is compact and discreet, depending on where you place it. The other thing I found that was a plus, was that the dash cam connects to the mount by magnet. Along with this, the mount can swivel to get the dash cam placed in the right direction, or move in any direction in the car.

The app set up ease differs depending on whether you have iOS or Android. I have an Android phone, and the set up was not very smooth. Even after entering in the password for the wifi which connected my phone to the dash cam, the app insisted that I set up the wifi. I was able to figure out how to get around this, but it is too difficult to explain in a review. When I borrowed my brother's iPhone, set up was very smooth with no issues. Even though it is not smooth for Android, it is not something that would be a deal breaker. My reasoning is that I am not someone who connects very often to look at videos unless absolutely needed.

The app software is very well put together. Settings are very easy to adjust and are simple to understand. The only thing I did not enjoy and probably would change is the way the videos are categorized. There are three categories: (1) Snapshots, (2) Loops, and (3) Emergency. If you have the emergency sensor set up, the emergency videos are separated from the regular loops. While this seems convenient, it makes it hard to find a specific video slightly difficult because they are separated into two tabs. I would have preferred all videos to be together and emergency videos to have a lock symbol for the emergency videos.

When it comes to the quality of the video, I was very impressed. The videos are very clear and flow very smoothly. My favorite thing about the VAVA camera is that it has a wide angel and covers all lanes while driving. Audio is also clear on the videos. Compared to other dash cams I have had in the past, the VAVA has had the widest angle view covering many lanes of traffic. To me, this is one of the most important functions of a dash cam. I want my dash cam to cover as much as I can see with my own eyes, and VAVA does a great job at accomplishing that. Overall, I would recommend the VAVA dash cam to anyone interested in purchasing it.

Photo Disclaimer: Screenshots were taken when windows were dirty and when it was overcast. Picture/Video Quality is much better than shown in the screesnhots.

Pros:
  • Great video quality
  • Wide angle view
  • Magnetic mount that swivels in all diretions

Cons (May differ depending on user preference):
  • App functionality depends on phone operating system (room for improvement on Android)
  • Snapshot button sold separately
looks like a cool dash cam, never saw anything that round disc shape before... are you happy with it? how is the quality of the videos? do you have any videos to post? does it capture license plates on cars? thanks for the review

Last edited:
Ya this is the first round shaped dash cam i've seen/had before. I am very happy with it. The quality of the videos are great! If you do end up getting it, make sure to download the videos if you want the highest quality (this is explained in the instruction manual as well). I currently am on mobile but i can try post some videos later this week. Overall, I definitely recommend it.

Wide angle helps with getting the big picture at the cost of losing what may be important details like plate numbers. A narrower angle will get better details but may miss action to the sides which may be important such as cars at intersections. With only one cam something is going to be compromised by necessity. IIRC (which I may not!) there were previous reports of this cam mount not being solid enough. Comments?
(PS- agreed on Android being buggy with dashcams apps; not something a cam maker can do much about but that should be noted by them in their advertising)

Phil

Hi, just picked up this Camera. The quality of the images are great, but I have constant Wifi Android app connectivity problems. I want to return the camera because of this problem.

Back