Vegas shooting - Taxi Cab View

Often when I wind up in an "argument" with someone on the topic of mass surveillance and privacy someone will say, "But I have nothing to hide!" Recently this discussion arose while I was out with my Sunday hiking group which is open to the public. A fellow made that remark and I asked him to let me see his wallet. When asked why I want to see his wallet, I told him I just want to look through it. "No WAY" he replied. Then I said, "But you just said you have nothing to hide, that doesn't seem to be quite the case now, does it?" With a shocked look on his face he uttered, "Oh".
With your permission I will be using this as a direct quote soon in a filing. Using your forum name, of course. :)

Not everyone who driving a particular vehicle will receive the email or even be the owner. Law enforcement needs a simple visual indicator of the status of the vehicle rather than having to spend time looking up your vehicle. And what happens if the system is off line? Such rational as you promote are ridiculous unless, of course you wish to be subjected to a willing police state.

Stickers are easily replaced at negligible cost. Happens all the time such as when a windshield needs replacing. And no, they are not easily faked nor are testing mechanics willing to risk their state licenses over something as small and petty as an inspection sticker.
Doesn't matter if we receive the email or not, if we are driving the vehicle then we need to ensure that it is tested, insured and taxed. We can't tax it without a successful test or insurance, when we pay the tax the system will check the others without needing any documentation, all done on the car licence plate number.

Law enforcement does not need a test certificate, the information is publically available on the internet, I can check any car I like for tax and insurance on my phone. I believe the police carry a local copy for in case there is no phone/police radio reception, although that occasionally causes a problem when you buy a new car, insure it over the phone and then drive off all on the same day!

Doesn't matter if we receive the email or not, if we are driving the vehicle then we need to ensure that it is tested, insured and taxed. We can't tax it without a successful test or insurance, when we pay the tax the system will check the others without needing any documentation, all done on the car licence plate number.

Law enforcement does not need a test certificate, the information is publically available on the internet, I can check any car I like for tax and insurance on my phone. I believe the police carry a local copy for in case there is no phone/police radio reception, although that occasionally causes a problem when you buy a new car, insure it over the phone and then drive off all on the same day!

Here you are claiming absurdities such as the notion that an email costs nothing yet you completely ignore the enormous costs of building such a surveillance system while at the same time compromising the privacy an autonomy of your entire society. You sound delusional.

Scanning plates is done here as well by some PD's but not for gas.
The scanner only alarms if plates match reported vehicles.

For gas, it's very easy. Just pay inside or at the pump. Done deal. That way not a single gas station will lose money by runaway drivers.
Just like fast food drive through, you pay and then get food.

I used to work in a small gas station in Arlington/Mansfield, TX when I went to college.
One young guy used to come for cigarettes. One day, he came for gas. He waved me and I turned it on.
I got busy with other customers inside and what I saw from corner of my was that he went off like a bullet after the tank was full.
He never showed up after that.
There are low lives like that who sell their soul for $35.

It's been years that I've seen any gas station here in Denver where they turn it on without paying first excluding your corner shop that you go every day and the attendant inside knows you well.

Here you are claiming absurdities such as the notion that an email costs nothing yet you completely ignore the enormous costs of building such a surveillance system while at the same time compromising the privacy an autonomy of your entire society. You sound delusional.
And you ignore the fact that paperwork is expensive, not having it is simpler and cheaper, not needing systems to replace lost and damaged documents makes it cheaper still, making it impossible to have fake insurance and test certificates reduces crime and saves even more money, being able to tie the various systems like ANPR, insurance database, gas station cameras together reduces crime even further saving even more money, having the police able to receive an ANPR report of an uninsured vehicle from a gas station and then drive gently around to your house and wait on your drive until you get home reduces the cost of policing and removes the need for police car chases thus saving money and improving safety for us all, etc. etc.

It is only the criminals that don't like the system!

And you ignore the fact that paperwork is expensive, not having it is simpler and cheaper, not needing systems to replace lost and damaged documents makes it cheaper still, making it impossible to have fake insurance and test certificates reduces crime and saves even more money, being able to tie the various systems like ANPR, insurance database, gas station cameras together reduces crime even further saving even more money, having the police able to receive an ANPR report of an uninsured vehicle from a gas station and then drive gently around to your house and wait on your drive until you get home reduces the cost of policing and removes the need for police car chases thus saving money and improving safety for us all, etc. etc.

It is only the criminals that don't like the system!

You certainly do appear to be a cheerleader for the ubiquitous and ever expanding surveillance state in the UK, but I still say you are in a state of delusion. You really think the system prevents crimes? Well, no, the new thing is called "Car Cloning".

"The success of ANPR in detecting vehicles of interest to police has led to a new kind of crime - car cloning. Criminals target vehicles of the same make and model to copy these number plates so that ANPR systems will record a read on the make and model relating to a fake number plate. Any legal transgressions could then lead to the legitimate owner receiving notification of enforcement action instead of the criminal."

Last edited:
I would agree.

Our ANPR system seems to be about the same as yours. Here though, it is also used in part to scan for stolen vehicles, suspects and generalized police work but I did hear a story of some married guy who somehow got caught parked at a motel while having an affair. I think it had something to do with a private investigator having access to the data.
He is probably inundated with mailings from all of the Motel chains by now :p

Corporate surveillance state?

View attachment 33686
Absolutely, and that is not the only way that this information will be used. Insurance companies already use your credit information before accepting your application, and before renewing your policy, and it is not your credit worthiness that they are particularly looking for in their queries.

I am not a card carrying member of the American ACLU and rarely agree with them, but I do associate myself with the following: "In our society, it is a core principle that the government does not invade people’s privacy and collect information about citizens’ innocent activities just in case they do something wrong. Clear regulations must be put in place to keep the government from tracking our movements on a massive scale" ...ACLU

You certainly do appear to be a cheerleader for the ubiquitous and ever expanding surveillance state in the UK, but I still say you are in a state of delusion. You really think the system prevents crimes? Well, no, the new thing is called "Car Cloning".

"The success of ANPR in detecting vehicles of interest to police has led to a new kind of crime - car cloning. Criminals target vehicles of the same make and model to copy these number plates so that ANPR systems will record a read on the make and model relating to a fake number plate. Any legal transgressions could then lead to the legitimate owner receiving notification of enforcement action instead of the criminal."

a low tech solution to beat a high tech system

a low tech solution to beat a high tech system

That's so often the case, isn't it? The iPhone fingerprint reader security system was hacked with a piece of Scotch tape and a lifted print. There are dozens of stories of people spoofing the most high tech systems.

Back