Very disappointed with 612GW

qualeboy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased a few weeks ago from Amazon along with a Samsung Evo Plus 128GB U3 SD card. Upgraded to latest firmware R06.6 and formatted card through the device then installed in car. Everything was OK on the few short journeys I was making in my local town, apart from the screen wobble which I get on my diesel. I had to go on a longer journey, 4 hours each way. When I got home I discovered the camera had only recorded about an hour from each leg of the journey. I checked forums and decided something must be faulty, so sent the lot back to Amazon and reordered again.

Second camera and SD arrived. Went through the same process - upgraded to R06.6, formatted SD card, installed in car. This time after reading the forums I secured the holder with blu-tac, which has helped, but also damaged the holder which I am not too pleased about if I have issues returning. This time I also disabled G-shock in case that was causing it to lock up. Again, everything seemed OK on short journeys. Had another chance to go on a long journey again today. Didn't notice any issues on the way there, but on the way back, noticed the GPS symbol was orange and the time seemed to be 1/2 hr out. The screen was still displaying the road ahead, so assumed it was recording. When I got to the next services I checked and the camera had completely locked up. The touch screen would not register and holding down the power button didn't help. Strange thing was the screen was still displaying the road ahead, but the unit was locked up. Had to reset with the button on the bottom. When I got home, checked the SD card and out of the 4 hour journey this morning it had only recorded 2 minutes. On the way back it had stopped recording after 1 1/2 hrs and didn't come back on until I reset it. The weather today was overcast and raining, so should be no overheating issues.

Considering this is the second unit I have had and second SD card (sold directly by Amazon, not reseller), I am wondering if there is something inherently wrong with these cameras? I see similar reports on this forum.

Seems a shame that supposedly top of range model that wins awards can be so flakey. Are there any reliable dash cams out there with decent quality video?

OK, did a test this evening, connected to a USB power supply, inside the house. Started recording at 18:05 and camera locked up at 19:43, so managed 1 hour and 38 minutes. Same problem, camera locked up (time still, no buttons work), but moving image through lens still displayed on screen. This was indoors so no problems with overheating or power supply issues. Looks like this one will also have to go back and don't want to risk another Nextbase camera. Cannot believe these have won awards.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K 612GW 7