Very poor GPS alignment on my 412GW

mikec1956

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 412GW takes an age to pick up the GPS, and when it does, it's frequently off by 100-200 yards. It can look really silly on the playback, it looks like my car is travelling on a completely different road to the one I actually travelled on. Is anybody else finding this? One thing I have noticed is that, at the start of journeys, the GPS shows as not locking until the moment it starts recording a new file (5 minutes) on the memory card. It's almost as if it decides it's unable to add the GPS information to a file if it syncs after starting to record it!!

symptoms of poor signal, does your car have a heated windscreen, tinted, athermic treatment etc? these will inhibit the signal and cause problems

None of the above. My previous NextBase dashcam (402G) worked perfectly well where this one sits.

Hmmm. That's kinda what I feared. I may swap it with the 312GW I have on my back window. Cos the warranty expired a few months ago, so it may be best to put the better behaving one up front, and the 412GW at the back, where it isn't QUITE so important. Thanks for replies.

ok, thought it was a recent purchase, if it's out of warranty you'd have to talk about repair options I guess

To test whether it's the car or the unit I would plug it into an indoor supply, mobile phone USB charger plug will do just fine, near a window, or even outside on an extension lead, and see how quick and how accurate the signal is.

This wouldn't be the first time I've read about something new or repositioned in a car affecting GPS.

Back