Very small form rear camera wanted for soft top.

Aph

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
G/SGZC12SG & Mini 0906
18 months ago I asked a similar question on here except it was a DC setup I wanted.

I'm looking for the best very-small-form waterproof camera to use for the rear of a soft-topped car. I already have the G/SGZC12SG for the front.

The accompanying photo shows where I want to install it, between the body and the first layer of material which is the soft top (the one above it is the soft top cover). The first layer will stretch enough (wince) to allow something about 25cms high under it and never moves whether the top be up or down.

My first thought due to its flat form would be a Mobius action camera which I believe has a waterproof enclosure as an accessory.

The second is the Joovuu X but after some research the owner seems to have left his website forum members without answers to its existing bugs, so am very reluctant to go down that route.

Can anyone suggest a camera (it doesn't have to be flat, it could be small and round similar to a reversing cam) InkedDCT2_L2.jpg which would suit my requirements and the best supplier to get it from as I'm in the UK.

Last edited:
true enthusiast, even got your DashCamTalk license plates :p

the waterproof external cam we used to do for the SGZC12RC would have been ideal, not sure if there are any still left out there though, we will have something similar again at a later date but still some way away at this stage unfortunately

You could take a look at the Mini 0906, the rear camera that I have with it would be very suitable. However I don't know if the production rear camera is waterproof and it would leave you with an extra front camera. Worth considering.

It is still hard to beat the original Mobius with waterproof case for this!

Reactions: Aph
18 months ago I asked a similar question on here except it was a DC setup I wanted.

looking for the best very-small-form waterproof camera to use for the rear of a soft-topped car. I already have the G/SGZC12SG for the front.

The accompanying photo shows where I want to install it, between the body and the first layer of material which is the soft top (the one above it is the soft top cover). The first layer will stretch enough (wince) to allow something about 25cms high under it and never moves whether the top be up or down.

My first thought due to its flat form would be a Mobius action camera which I believe has a waterproof enclosure as an accessory.

The second is the Joovuu X but after some research the owner seems to have left his website forum members without answers to its existing bugs, so am very reluctant to go down that route.

Can anyone suggest a camera (it doesn't have to be flat, it could be small and round similar to a reversing cam) View attachment 32189 which would suit my requirements and the best supplier to get it from as I'm in the UK.
This one is new. Designed for motorcycle, Waterproof, might do the job. Seems to fit your needs.

http://www.innovv.com/innovv-c5

4a7279_794448d4b1534b83914667daafe1313d~mv2_d_2500_1620_s_2.webp

the waterproof external cam we used to do for the SGZC12RC would have been ideal, not sure if there are any still left out there though, we will have something similar again at a later date but still some way away at this stage unfortunately

That's a shame because I've had the Jag over 1o years and feel like it's living on borrowed time. A few weeks ago it got hit in the rear by a new BMW as I was stopped at traffic lights, fortunately square onto both bumpers, and the noise that it made was horrific. Fearing the worst I got out to look at the damage to my car first (because I'm caring like that) and couldn't see any. Confused I looked at his BMW and there were two holes in the shape of my rear bumpers perfectly punched through the front. Shame I hadn't had a rear cam to have it recorded.

Last edited:
You could take a look at the Mini 0906, the rear camera that I have with it would be very suitable. However I don't know if the production rear camera is waterproof and it would leave you with an extra front camera. Worth considering.

It is still hard to beat the original Mobius with waterproof case for this!

Thanks for that, but I doubt the Mini 0906 rear is waterproof as I'd expect that to have been trumpeted at full volume in the sales pitch if it was.

So I'm down to finding a new Mobius and waterproof case from a decent supplier or Chris Hunt's recent suggestion of the Innovv C5 which I'm now going to research the arse off.

That's a shame because I've had the Jag over 1o years and feel like it's living on borrowed time. A few weeks ago it got hit in the rear by a new BMW as I was stopped at traffic lights, fortunately square onto both bumpers, and the noise that made was horrific. Fearing the worst I got out to look at the damage to my car first (because I'm caring like that) and couldn't see any. Confused I looked at his BMW and there were two holes in the shape of my rear bumpers perfectly punched through the front. Shame I hadn't had a rear cam to have it recorded.
Justice :)

I have in stock only few SGZC12RC + waterproof external camera left. Check if it suits your needs:

Thanks Niko, unfortunately on this occasion the form factor isn't quite what I'm looking for.

true enthusiast, even got your DashCamTalk license plates :p

Yes, it's my motorised revolving number plate holder á la James Bond. It needs a bit of adjustment as one can see it's not stopping in the correct place. I'll get round to it over the weekend, just don't tell anyone. It'll be just between you and me :whistle:

have you thought about using an action camera as a DVR? when I first got hold of my SJ4000, as the manual said it could also be used as a DVR I gave it a go

it operates (coming on and switching off) just like a DVR and I was very pleased with the captured results, there is a slight mod that will need doing

make a small hole in the water proof case to get the USB power cord through, then a dab of silicon over the hole to seal the hole and you're ready to go. I got hold of my SJ for around £55 a couple of years back

Yes, it's my motorised revolving number plate holder á la James Bond. It needs a bit of adjustment as one can see it's not stopping in the correct place. I'll get round to it over the weekend, just don't tell anyone. It'll be just between you and me :whistle:
:p

have you thought about using an action camera as a DVR? when I first got hold of my SJ4000, as the manual said it could also be used as a DVR I gave it a go

Thanks for your suggestion. I had a look at the SJ4000 and my main aim is for the camera to hide under the soft-top pointing backwards with as little surface area as possible so it could just blend in with the dark material. Unfortunately it's 59.2mm long and 41mm high so a bit big for my application.

Almost no waterproof cams with a good reputation save for the boxy "GoPro" form-factor. It would be a intensive DIY project, but if you made a waterproof housing for the lens board of Mobius, the ribbon cable connecting it might be easy to route past trim to the cam body in housed the boot. Just a thought, but it would probably result in the smallest visible cam possible based on an existing known good cam system :)

The new Innov cam has promise but the older ones are duds. Company restructured: old cams out, new cams being developed, and a cam enthusiast at the helm now :D

Jags are to be loved. Those cars had soul until Ford took over and made that part number redundant across the whole line :mad:

Phil

Almost no waterproof cams with a good reputation save for the boxy "GoPro" form-factor. It would be a intensive DIY project, but if you made a waterproof housing for the lens board of Mobius, the ribbon cable connecting it might be easy to route past trim to the cam body in housed the boot. Just a thought, but it would probably result in the smallest visible cam possible based on an existing known good cam system :) Phil

The DIY idea sounds excellent but doing a proper job is beyond me.

Didn't the Mobius have a waterproof housing? I can only see one supplier of it at the moment but I can't find any references to whether it was a good fit or not. Perhaps the lack of advertising answers my question.

The new Innov cam has promise but the older ones are duds. Company restructured: old cams out, new cams being developed, and a cam enthusiast at the helm now :D

I read about the old ones and therefore wasn't tempted, but I'm hoping that the C5 is the way to go.

Jags are to be loved. Those cars had soul until Ford took over and made that part number redundant across the whole line :mad:
Mine's not an original. I wanted a car that had classic looks, didn't rust like a Jag, didn't hang about on the roads and one that I could drive regularly, come rain or shine. The original XK's tend to only get used when the sun's out. (This is the UK, so not that often).
I slung in a 4.5 litre high compression Jag engine and with its rustproof body, it does exactly what I want and as a bonus I get some weird pleasure from being sneered at by some of the Jag purists.

IIRC JooVuu offers a waterproof Mobius case, however it is fiddly to use and many have reported failures. I don't know of any others but they may exist ;)

I'm not a 'concours purist' but I do like to see original character left intact with a restoration being possible later on. And I'm as excited over an XK replica as a real one. Once upon a chance adventure I saw an original Shelby Cobra in the garage of the man who had raced it. He had raced a replica until he could finish his original, then sold the replica. He said that his last 2 years on the track were in the car he had now. "I figured that I was done with crashing by then" was his answer to my asking if he had been worried about losing an original on the track. Best answer I've ever heard :D and a perfect reason to drive a replica.

I'm getting old so my performance days are passed, but my dream car is a series 2 XJ6, rewired, tuned suspension, aluminum 400CID Chevy motor and a 5 speed stick. Classiness, power, handling, and luxury in a beautiful package :cool:

Phil

Back