Vico Marcus 1 / 3 / 4 / 5 - direct comparison (day & night)

Which Vico Marcus performs best? (Please give one vote each for day and night.)

• Day: Vico Marcus 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Day: Vico Marcus 3

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Day: Vico Marcus 4

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Day: Vico Marcus 5

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Night: Vico Marcus 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Night: Vico Marcus 3

• Night: Vico Marcus 4

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Night: Vico Marcus 5

• Total voters

Dashcam Wiki

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dash Cam
too much devices to list here
How does the different technical properties of all Vicovation Marcus carcams, influence video-quality?
We made a testdrive at day and night with all Vico Marcus 1 / 3 / 4 / 5 installed side by side.

These testdrives includes scenes in a city, ordinary road and highway. CPL-Filter was not used and all recordings were made in FullHD 30fps (Marcus 3 - 60fps)

Very interesting is the second part of the daylight comparison. Even with rainy and stormy wheather the picture is crystal clear and you can identify license plates of oncomming cars with a speed about 45mph.

We are astonished about the night performance of the new Vico Marcus 4. This device uses a "real" HDR (high dynamic range) video-sensor, which performs much better than almost WDR (wide dynamic range) chipsets.

Hint: These testdrives are made on July 29, 2014. The firmware used in this video is outdatet today. New firmware is with more enhanceed quality is available on vicovation.com

Hint: We will put the full quality movies (without YouTube re-compression) on dashcam-wiki.info for download next days.

Last edited:
It's the same as the G90 and the OV4689 I think mate?

Vico Marcus 1: unknown sensor (with A2S CPU)
Vico Marcus 3: Aptina AR0330 sensor (with Ambarella A7LA70D CPU)
Vico Marcus 4: Omnivision OV4689 HDR sensor (with Ambarella A7 CPU)
Vico MArcus 5: unknown (with Ambarella A7 CPU)

In next days we will disassemble the Vico Marcus to look for exact sensor model identifications.

Last edited:
It's the same as the G90 and the OV4689 I think mate?

Yeah I don't think it's anything that's not already out there in other products right now

Firmware is likely better sorted than many though and good chance they're using a decent lens which makes a world of difference

We've tested DOD LS430W too. This device has a F1.6 lens. Compared to Vico Marcus 4 lens with F2.0 it's maybe better - but only on paper! We can confirm that the Vico Marcus F2.0 lens with 160° viewing angle is very good. At night it performs really better than DOD LS430W. We will put some comparison movies online next time.

DOD like to promote numbers and buzzwords, means little at the end of the day, a well sorted product will always outdo a mediocre one

The biggest problem is the price - the G90 uses the same base hardware and you could buy three for the price of the Marcus 4 and that's after the price drop to under £200.

If the Marcus 4 doesn't suffer the focus creep then that would be an advantage for sure.

You'd definitely hope so! I do like the way the stand lets you drop a CPL straight in there - I think that's been made an optional extra on the 4 though?

Could you post some pictures of interior hardware of G90 and Marcus 4 to confirm that please ?
There are two versions of the G90 - one based off the A7LA30 and a higher end one based off the A7LA70. The price of the higher end unit including GPS is £79. I think the M4 is the A7LA55 from memory?

I'm sure the overall build quality of the Vico product is reflected in the price
This. My Marcus 3 seems to be built pretty well. Not only that, but the size and things like the way the menu is laid out as well as button size and placement.

Vico Marcus 1: unknown sensor (with A5 CPU)

Vico Marcus 1 has A2S not A5. :)

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-sdr-ldws-fcws-gps-cpl.3675/page-2#post-53353

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/attachments/b9-jpg.4133/

5RsbrAv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Marcus 2 wasn't released in 2014 when they did the comparisons.

what the heck... so the marcus 2 is the newest among the four? that is just confusing to people who will think that the marcus 5 is the newest.

Fair comment...but that is the case.

Back