Vico Marcus 4. 2560p/Extreme HD, 1296p/30Fps, A7, HDR, Parking Mode, 7-l. optics

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
At Computex 2014 Vico presented new Marcus 4.

• Ambarella A7 CPU
  • 2560p/Extreme HD, 1296p/30Fps,
  • 7-layer lens
  • CMOS: Omnivision 4Mpix
  • Parking Mode
  • HDR ( High Dynamic Range )

It will be ready for retail: July - August 2014

Marcus 4.jpg

Marcus 4 Specs.jpg

Last edited:
Now we're talking - this is going to need some monster storage for some of those sizes though!

This will probably be the hit of 2014. Any new info on it would be appreciated. You seem to be the go-to-guy for that Niko :)

That is true - it's quite in your face with that yellow colour too!

They seem to be recycling this chassis for each Marcus model too - I'm still guessing we'll see similar hardware in that GS6000 A7 shell soon too if it's in the Street Storm.

Hopefully the first batch of firmwares should be in a better state than the Marcus 3 as the guys over in Russia are getting some nice results with the platform - the night videos with HDR seem to have a strange lack of noise it's quite weird - guessing it's what they call the 3D noise removal at work?

Yeah not a big fan of the form factor either, tho i dont think it is not much larger than my lukas the Square shape make it more notisable.

But i like the use of the 4 mpix OV cmos :)

Wonder if it will be out the same time as the M5 witch where pushed back from the 1-6 to 15-6-2014 release ( the the German seller )

@reverend " as the guys over in Russia are getting some nice results with the platform - the night videos with HDR"

Any links to videos yet ?

I found this, 4 hours ago, from VIcovation:

From 2m38s, we can see Marcus 4.

In the video description, we also have 2560x1080 @ 30fps (21:9 Movie Mode). So it's NOT 2560p, as the number there represents the horizontal lines, not the vertical ones.

@Tommy - between myself and @FourEyes we have plenty of videos in this thread here from the Street Storm CVR-A7810-G which is the same platform as the Marcus 4:

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/street-storm-cvr-a7810-g-and-a7-ov4689-clones.5541/

The videos look excellent IMHO and the lack of noise in the night videos (assuming it's the 3D noise reduction at work) is impressive!

I like the look of that 21:9 footage though, it looks good like that in your video and that night time video looks excellent on the Marcus 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the difference between the Marcus 3/4 then?!

The Marcus 3 was the Ambarella A7LA70D with Aptina AR0330 sensor I think (confirmed in Pizdys teardown) whereas the 4 is the same Ambarella chip but with an Omnivision OV4689 4 Megapixel sensor so it's mainly firmware differences and the Aptina vs Omnivision sensor from the looks of things.

The Aptina sensor has better dynamic range on paper and larger pixels whereas the Omnivision sensor supports HDR. It will be interesting to see how they compare a few more months into the firmware, but the initial videos from the Omnivision sensor are really promising at night time.

I'm really looking forward to Niko's verdict on these :)

Last edited:
Off the top of my semiempty head.

Parking mode on M4
The CMOS
The huge mounting bracket that hold the CPL filter is optional with the M4
The lens
The prize too i assume
Glue on Mount is allso optional with M4 ( think it comes with the M3 )

Why release a new model when people have just purchased 3.

Leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

Are Vicovation con-men?

The 3 was announced back in January:

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...2304-x-1296р-3dnr-wdr-ldws-fcws-gps-cpl.3674/

The problem with this market is that you have to move fast to keep up with the latest tech - like I bought the iPad 3 in March when it came out and then they released a new one six months later!

There is a lot of good noise around the Omnivision sensors at the moment with HDR - it will be interesting to see how things settle down.

I've got a lower end A7 device with the same sensor on the way and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it compares with what I have now.

I have seen only positive feedback from OV4689 with combibation with A7 dashcams in relation of video quality. Of course long term reliability and FW has to be testes after M4 will be released. I have added release date as well into my first post.

So, I'm guessing the vid quality on the M4 will be similar to how the M3 should be with a bloody decent firmware update?!?!

I guess vico just went ahead and released the M3 with the "old" hardware, and then desided to make the M4 on short notise as hardware became available.
I assume it dont take a complete recode of the hardware becuz you change CMOS ?

But you are right there is a "Apple feel" to it with the new model not having mentionable improvements compared to the old model.
To be honest i expect that they fase out the M3, especially if its close to the M4 in prize, the performance i expect to be more or less the same when both models are up and running on all cylinders.

The marcus 4 should have been named the marcus 3S or markus 3C :D

Маркус 3 был Ambarella A7LA70D с Aptina AR0331
This is where it is written?

Aptina AR0330

Yeah not a big fan of the form factor either, tho i dont think it is not much larger than my lukas the Square shape make it more notisable.

But i like the use of the 4 mpix OV cmos :)

Wonder if it will be out the same time as the M5 witch where pushed back from the 1-6 to 15-6-2014 release ( the the German seller )

Taiwan manufacturers like form factors, square.
Korean guys like cylinder.
People like smaller and hiding one. ;)

The complicated ID and structure design looks high technical and expensive, could sell more money.

Back