sludgeguts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius x3, G1W held as spare.
Techmoan's latest review

And he reckons it's really good.

Now, look at the size of that rear cam - AND on the end of a 6m lead.
So, if they can record off this at 1080p, why, oh why, can't we have the front lens like this & link both to a hidden DVR?
Can somebody please explain why a manufacturer would try to squeeze all the gubbins into a window-mounted box with a lens on the front when they can make a remote lens like this?
It just seems carazy to me.

I have been trying to bring this idea to manufacturers for over 3 years ( remote lens FullHD + FullHD ). For first 2.5y nobody reacted positively on my "requests". Lately even created THIS thread to bring more attention from manufacturers. But about half year ago few models with remote lens 2ch FullHD were presented and now they are undergoing a beta-testing. To be honest, one of models I have is not up to desired standard at this stage yet. Other model is more promising, but still have to go trough some firmware polishing. Both of them are from China manufacturers and I would position them into mid-class dashcams.
Unfortunately there are no high-end Korean or Taiwanese made remote lens ( all FullHD ) systems out there yet, but some talks are out there already. For sure in near future ( next year ) we will see first high-end remote lens system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the rear camera is a good size, there is only 2 minusses to it, and thats the location of the lead, witch i think should be on the back of it.
And then the logo on the front of the cameras, but thats a easy fix for ppl who dont mind dooing a little DIY on ther new expensive "toy"

I have to agree. Very nice camera but all those spaghetti wires on the front windshield too distracting and too conspicuous. I'll wait until they finally get the idea of the remote central console.

I have to agree. Very nice camera but all those spaghetti wires on the front windshield too distracting and too conspicuous. I'll wait until they finally get the idea of the remote central console.
I've never really considered the cables - even with my F70, the two cables (power & rear cam) are both fairly well hidden. My main gripe is with the big lump of plastic hanging off the windscreen - even moreso with this one if you use the suction cup.
It might not be too bad if they mounted the lens on the end of the cam, on a swivel mount (like the F70) so that the body of the cam could be mounted flush with the headlining
images
(this was a temporary wiring, it's all hidden behind the trim now) - this presents minimal aspect to the outside world.

Very poorly thought out design to have cables all over the place, the manufacturer that does these get their hardware sorted but their designs are not the best, a shame as they really could be much better products overall if they got the tooling right

Hahahaha at these names!
what does vico marcus 5 mean???!?!?! :rolleyes:

Very poorly thought out design to have cables all over the place, the manufacturer that does these get their hardware sorted but their designs are not the best, a shame as they really could be much better products overall if they got the tooling right
The dashcam most of us seem to be looking for doesn't rely on looks. As I have said on other threads, the drv could be housed in a cheap, plastic sandwich box, an old margarine tub or whatever - THAT part will be hidden out of sight.
The important parts will be the two small lenses and their mounts.
As an example, the external lens currently being offered on the innovv c3 looks promising
smallMain_0_125.jpg
A bullet-shaped camera with a lead coming straight out of the back. The body, therefore, is as big as it needs to be.
The other thing is, the cost would need to come down quite a lot, I really cannot see the point in paying out more than double the cost. I'd far sooner go with 2x mobius (for example) where both cams can record to a 64gig card than pay for the equivalent of 4x mobius and only have the equivalent recording capability of 2 x 16gig cards.

Two of these mounted in a hobby box with a Y cable to power both would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree w/ mat (techmoan) in that they really ought to make it with 2 of those tiny remote cameras and a main box which you can put anywhere else. granted, i do like to look at my cam every time i start the car to make sure it's recording (esp after the "card full" issues i kept having on my wife's a118), but having a big bulky thing on the windshield with wires all over the place is certainly annoying. and mounting it elsewhere such as under a seat, in the glovebox, center armrest console, etc... would also keep it out of direct sunlight and thus hopefully make it last longer, too.

one other thing they seem to have forgotten in terms of design is that assuming you have gps, all 3 wires are the same type of plug, so unless you label them, you might have an issue remembering which one goes where when using the quick-release. i would probably use a paint pen to put dots on each cable and matching dots on the body of the camera to make sure they went into the right spots.

Back