Vico MF3 Essential Updating Tip for the latest Ver. 4.4 out this month February 2018.

Submariner Gold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Vicovation MF3
New Version 4.4 is now out; it apparently improves reliability/ stability

Note you can NOT update using a 64GB sd card (which is formatted to exFAT)

Works perfectly with a 16 GB SDHC Sandisk ( yep Sandisk the problem cards for vicos :)
It needs to be Formatted as FAT32.

Both Cams on V 4.4 and all as good as gold!

Nice to see they are constantly enhancing it, rather than slamming out a new varient.:):)

I normally use old 4 or 8 Gb memory cards ( brand unknown ) for dashcam update, have been working fine since 2013.

If it is reliability/ stability updates, then that's highly important so no way around that.

Anyone have a link to the latest firmware?

Safari won't allow me to go to VicoVation site as it can't verify the Certificate and deems it risky.
Usually it would give me the option of going there anyway, which I do ... only not this time.

Removed link - firmware file appears corrupt.

Last edited:
Anyone have a link to the latest firmware?

Safari won't allow me to go to VicoVation site as it can't verify the Certificate and deems it risky.
Usually it would give me the option of going there anyway, which I do ... only not this time.
I took the risk
As did a couple of others.
As it seemed the only way ... really didnt like it.
But my iPad did not see a risk, so I chanced it. And no adverse reports from Norton as it downloaded.
Sadly my UK reseller didnt have a download for the MF3.

I took the risk
As did a couple of others.
As it seemed the only way ... really didnt like it.
But my iPad did not see a risk, so I chanced it. And no adverse reports from Norton as it downloaded.
Sadly my UK reseller didnt have a download for the MF3.

it's nothing serious, just their SSL certificate has expired so the browser assumes the worst

@VicoVation
@Chris Hunt

I tried the Update and now my MF3 is not working. I couldn't find a User manual with instructions so had to go with trial and error. All the manuals are the same and only explain the features with no instructions on what steps to take when updating. I've done it before only a little rusty.

I used a small micro card like last time to download the update ... and made sure only the bin file was on the card before putting in Cam.
It asked for update ... yep .. then it asked for reboot with no option ... so ok (I think that is what I pressed?)
The usual bright red light flashed for a few seconds and then went off ... and thought it was done. Pressed the power button lwr right and 2 small red lights on upper and lwr left side of screen came up and couldn't shift them. The only thing that turned them off was to poke the reset button.
As soon as I press the Power button ... the 2 red lights come on and a blank screen. What does this mean?

With no instruction manual with troubleshooting ... I have no idea what is going on. I took the micro card out and replaced with my usual one which didn't make any difference.

I've sent Chris Hunt from DashCam Central where I purchased it an sms and waiting on a reply. In the meantime ... any ideas?

ps. I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking - best to ignore updates ... and leave it be if it is working fine.
Fiddling can cause problems, especially where there are no specific instructions as to what you should ... and perhaps shouldn't do.

Last edited:
@VicoVation
@Chris Hunt

I tried the Update and now my MF3 is not working. I couldn't find a User manual with instructions so had to go with trial and error. All the manuals are the same and only explain the features with no instructions on what steps to take when updating. I've done it before only a little rusty.

I used a small micro card like last time to download the update ... and made sure only the bin file was on the card before putting in Cam.
It asked for update ... yep .. then it asked for reboot with no option ... so ok (I think that is what I pressed?)
The usual bright red light flashed for a few seconds and then went off ... and thought it was done. Pressed the power button lwr right and 2 small red lights on upper and lwr left side of screen came up and couldn't shift them. The only thing that turned them off was to poke the reset button.
As soon as I press the Power button ... the 2 red lights come on and a blank screen. What does this mean?

With no instruction manual with troubleshooting ... I have no idea what is going on. I took the micro card out and replaced with my usual one which didn't make any difference.

I've sent Chris Hunt from DashCam Central where I purchased it an sms and waiting on a reply. In the meantime ... any ideas?

ps. I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking - best to ignore updates ... and leave it be if it is working fine.
Fiddling can cause problems, especially where there are no specific instructions as to what you should ... and perhaps shouldn't do.

On the face of it...looks like you have followed the correct process BUT seems like your firmware has become corrupted in the process.

Best thing to do is go back to the start and do the process again.
Format your Micro SD and ensure it is formatted to "FAT32"..then make sure it is completely empty.
I suggest you download the file again from the Vico site and make sure you have "unpacked" it. IE unzipped it so it reads a the firmware.bin file.
Load only the .bin file only onto your Micro SD card (as you did before).
With your cam switched off put your card into the camera and then power on. Wait for the file to do it's thing and then follow the on screen instructions. If it then powers back on okay then reset to factory and put your settings back to where you want them.

If that fails we'll get onto Vico for advice. They may be a bit slow responding though due to Chinese New Year.

No go.

Tried the process from the start twice and no change - when power on ... top left and bottom right red lights come on ... no screen
Then tried the 4.2 Update to see if it would go back ... nope.
I'm using the same micro SD card you did the first upgrade on ... which I again used for the last 4.2 update.
What does it mean when the 2 red lights only come on and no screen when power comes on?

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, didn’t you have an issue when you tried to update after first buying the camera? Chris eventually sent you the .bin file, already unzipped, on a card? Update went fine with that right?

Your using a MAC correct?

Yes, I am using a Mac ... and Yes, I did have a problem with the first upgrade where Chris sent the file and it worked.
In that case the Mac had left some junk on the micro SD card that prevented it from being accepted by the Cam because it needed to only have the bin file on it.
The second update 4.2 ... I used the same card and made sure it only had the bin file on it and the process worked fine.
This time ... I'm using the same card again and have made sure there is only the bin file on it ... so it is the same as last time when it worked.

Due to my lack of experience with the workings of Dash Cams - I understand that there is a good chance that I am not doing something correctly ... and that there may be nothing wrong with the Camera. I would much prefer that in these instances, it is better to hand it over to someone like an Authorised service/repairer here in Australia who knows what they are doing, only unfortunately, manufacturers of Dash Cams don't feel that they are necessary ... yet don't provide any information in the User manual for troubleshooting when problems arise. Lucky we have this forum.

I will go to Officeworks and get a new micro SD card incase it is rejecting it this time.
8.5 months old ... so still under warranty

ps. It will feel strange driving around without a Dash Cam up front.
Ideally, it would be handy to have a 3rd Cam as a spare for when one develops a problem and out of action.

Last edited:
Do you have access to a PC, in case the MAC is still doing something funky to the card?

Have you tried transferring the file over via Mass Storage Mode?

Now you mention it ... last time I did go to the Library and used their PC to download the Update instead of my Mac... so good call, CYA (y)
It would have been you who picked up on it back then too ... cheers

Last edited:
Been to Library and used their PC

Emptied card of all files then downloaded Update from VicoVation Taiwan. Transferred file to micro card and deleted all but the bin file.
Put it in my MF3 and turned on power. 2 red lights only and no screen

Been to Library and used their PC

Emptied card of all files then downloaded Update from VicoVation Taiwan. Transferred file to micro card and deleted all but the bin file.
Put it in my MF3 and turned on power. 2 red lights only and no screen

what processor does the MF3 use?

Ambarella A12

Thanks jokiin ... way over my pay grade so I need to send it off to someone who knows what's going on and can fix it.

Hmm? Wonder who that might be? I guess that's where VicoVation comes into it.

Yeah ... he's the goto Guy (y) ... cheers

Last edited:
Back