Vico TF2+ Firmware Downgrade

NoDak

Reaction score
Country
United States
does anyone know where I can get an older TF2+ firmware, such as the 6.2 version? I upgraded to the 6.6 version and it completely ruins the night time recording.

does anyone know where I can get an older TF2+ firmware, such as the 6.2 version? I upgraded to the 6.6 version and it completely ruins the night time recording.
I thought so too at first. I don't think there is a safe way to downgrade and would not recommend trying so the camera is not damaged.

Have you tried cranking the EV up a little?

I did downgrade to 6.3R (which is a Russian language default, that was fun trying to change it back to English). the 6.3 did fix the blacks, but introduced purple streaking in dark unlit street light areas.

changing the ev from -1 to +1 did nothing. the problem is now that WDR is turn off and contrast is turned off, you cant adjust those setting which is causing the black areas to be washed out beige.

I would contact Vico service via email and mention it to them. I have emailed and mentioned it. Maybe if motr users do they will bring the features back

I thought Techoman was saying that this latest update was providing the best video quality at night with low light.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I thought Techoman was saying that this latest update was providing the best video quality at night with low light.
I believe that may have been for the WF1.
He mentioned that he liked not having to mess with the WDR and VS settings on the TF2. I however still miss that feature, and while it looks okay prior firmware looked better as NoDak shows.

I have mentioned this in an email to Vico support staff. I suggest other members do the same Vico is usually good at addressing user concerns.

Last edited by a moderator:
6.2 look mutch better in my eyes, 6.6 look like cheapo cam.

Clearly a step backward ( the part of vico that release new firmware must be influenced by Danish politicians )

Well as long as they leave higher bitrate alone I guess they could offer some return of older functions since it shows better video in comparison. I hope it wasn't just one camera that showed such a variance of video quality. Can someone please post some comparison shots from old firmware that they used to have and new firmware that they have now from the same camera?

I just upgraded the firmware, before seeing this thread. This is a bit worrying because I bought the camera mostly for night recording. Will test tonight and report if the quality had improved or gone worse.

Any update? I'll also do a recording tonight and test.

I tried the night time recording for 2 days now.

It is definitely worse, you can clearly see that while the Brightness and Contrast has increased, there is no signs of WDR. This means that bright spots are too bright and dark spots have a lot of noise and a "foggy" effect all over the image.

I honestly think they have disabled WDR function so the upcoming models can be seen as a great improvement over the old ones.

I note that on their website (http://www.vicovation.com/productpage.asp?IDno=14&cata=3&lang=en) they state that: 'WDR and Vico‐Schedule features are temporarily disabled in this version.' Not sure why they would do that, but can't imagine it would be because they would deliberately want to make their leading product look bad to make future products look better in comparison - that's not a sound sales strategy that any sensible company would adopt. In fact, not entirely sure what is meant by this statement, that is, is it temporarily turned off (doesn't make sense) or is it now automatic (so the option to adjust it is removed)?

I have spoken with Vico regarding this issue and even quoted this thread, their response is:

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your information.

For the latest SW for TF2+, the brightness is a lil bit darker than previous SW.

However, the sharpness is much better.

(you can notice that when the image is very bright, it can catch a lot noise which make low sharpness.)

Users can choose which type of video quality they wants.

Thank you for your support XXXXX, our team will see if we can improve to meet the demand of users.

And if there is any news, we will post on our official website and Facebook.

Again, we appreciate your support.

All the best.

I should have read more carefully - on the website it says: 'Improved performance of WDR is directly applied as default settings' - so this would suggest they have disabled the ability to adjust WDR, but it should still be functional.

I have spoken with Vico regarding this issue and even quoted this thread, their response is:
That answer would make perfect sense if the image on the right in NoDak's comparison video above was the new firmware... ;)

That answer would make perfect sense if the image on the right in NoDak's comparison video above was the new firmware... ;)

I replied with pretty much the same answer.

Good news people, because I received en email from vico support with an attached file:

Original message:

Hello I ordered a TF2+ and upgraded the firmware to 6.6CS+ but night recording is WORSE than before, I really need WDR back because night quality is very bad.

And this was vico support rather quick response:

Dear Sir,

Please download the English version SW for TF2+ which is V5.1i (equal to Chinese version V6.2).

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ncyql0

Thank you very much.

I responded them asking if the downgrade process is the same as upgrading, but I suppose it is the same method. I cannot install right now because my computer is at work, but tomorrow night will be time to test if downgrading would improve night recording.

Really hoping vico could release a new version with WDR and improved day recording as well, Just like 6.6Cs+. I suppose CS stands for costrast/saturation, because colors are very intense and picture is sharp.

I hope it helps.

Last edited:
Back