VicoVation TF2+ VS Blackvue DR500HD (Low lux video)

Milamber

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
A129 Pro Duo
A good comparison video of night quality, sadly this was one of the reasons I ditched this trash camera, quality and bit rate in both day and night. It was actually better to use my Galaxy Nexus smartphone to record than to use a dedicated dashcam from Blackvue.

Video speaks for itself, enjoy the green tinge! (both cameras are 2013)

Average price without discounts:

Blackvue DR500HD $454 USD (Smartcam Direct)
VicoVation TF2+ $254 USD (Quality dashcams)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the vid.

You would have to be blind to not notice the difference and it seems like the choice is obvious to people shopping.

Here's my two cents. It took me about a year to buy my first camera because at the time there was nothing, but these cheap $50-$80 cameras sold on amazon and surveilance camera websites. Then I stumbled on to the blackvue 350 and right around the same time the 400 was released. This also led me to find more brands with comparable camera's, but I found that blackvue had a larger following/community. What sold me on the 400 after comparing videos and specs, was the design, it was perfect and discrete compared to the boxier cameras. I was impressed with the camera and although many issues were reported I never experienced these problems. Last November I bought a DR400-II, put my original 400 in my LandCruiser, and as soon as the DR500 was released I upgraded and put the DR400-II in my gf's car.
Personally, they've been great products for me and although your video clearly shows the difference, based on where I live, the hours I mostly drive, are unimportant to me. However, when I am ready to purchase my next one I will put this towards the top of the list.

In short, the 3 BV cameras I have (DR400, DR400II, DR500) are in use everyday and have been great products for me. Based on this experience I will continue to heavily lean on buying a BV even though I watched the video above. As other brands continue to improve and gain a following to where I can read more reviews as well as a supporting community then I will consider switching brands unless BV steps it up now.

The night time video is quite impressive for a dashcam. I'm still shopping for the perfect DashCam in my Smart Car. I
was sold on the best bang for the buck DVR-207GS, but then got hooked on the DR500. (compact stealthy size I can slip right behind my mirror, and wifi features)

VicoVation TF2 might be better for night, but daytime is my priority. VicoVation TF2 is just too big, it would draw too much attention and would most likely result in a smash and grab window break in (parking in the city)

JazJon said:
it would draw too much attention and would most likely result in a smash and grab window break in (parking in the city)

+1

JazJon said:
The night time video is quite impressive for a dashcam. I'm still shopping for the perfect DashCam in my Smart Car. I
was sold on the best bang for the buck DVR-207GS, but then got hooked on the DR500. (compact stealthy size I can slip right behind my mirror, and wifi features)

VicoVation TF2 might be better for night, but daytime is my priority. VicoVation TF2 is just too big, it would draw too much attention and would most likely result in a smash and grab window break in (parking in the city)

tried with DOD LS300W ? - it more compact than TF2

I want to see comparison LS300W<>VICOVATION TF+

anyone can upload a HD video from another camera and claim its from theirs, look at pittasoft with the DR500. until someone gets one and sees and tells we wont know.

Back