VicoVation Vico-MF3 is coming soon!

Which VicoVation dash cam model is your favorite?

• Total voters

VicoVation

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
Taiwan, Province Of China
Dash Cam
Vico-Opia2
Dear members of DashCamTalk,

We are excited to announce that we are going to release our new model Vico-MF3 soon! For more infomation on this model, please go to http://www.vicovation.com/product.asp?IDno=70&lang=eng.

Sample video:

Vico_2016718231236.jpg

Vico_2016718225537.jpg

Vico_20167195157.jpg
Vico_2016718225324.jpg
Vico_2016718225340.jpg

Vico_2016718225355.jpg

Vico_201671822549.jpg

Vico_2016718225424.jpg

Vico_2016718225439.jpg

Vico_2016718225452.jpg

Vico_201671822557.jpg

Vico_2016718225521.jpg

Vico_201671822567.jpg

This is unbelievable. I just bought a MF2 last weekend and now you just came up with MF3.
Anyway how does the parking guard function work with this new model ? Does it comes with the GPS or it has to be bought separately ?

Hi @Utsav
MF2 and MF3 are very different models. MF2 records at 1296p max while MF3 records at 1440p max. Nither models have Automatic Smart Parking Mode. However, we've made a quick switch button on MF3 for that. MF2's package comes with a GPS module while MF3's doesn't. Optional GPS mouse can be purchased separately.

@VicoVation
I have noticed that you have gone back to using a Lithium Battery instead of super capacitors in comparison to MF2. Is there a reason why ?
Also a suggestion in future firmware of MF2 - can you please modify the firmware to allocate an existing switch button to enable the smart parking mode feature?
Currently I have to go into the menu every time I wish to enable or disable the smart parking mode feature.
This would make it lot easier by just pressing the switch to enable and disable.
Thanks !!

@Utsav
Yes, but notice this, the Lithium Battery that is inside the MF3 is not the traditional Lithium Batteries that everybody uses. The kind we are using was newly introduced to the dash cam market called Lithium Cobalt Oxide Batteries. Lithium cobalt oxide batteries are safer than traditional lithium batteries. It's physical characteristics are very close to supercapacitors. The working temperature can go as low as -30°C and as high as 75°C. It is not to be used as a battery to keep on recording after the power recourse has been disconnected. It is to be used only for saving last files so the power will only be sufficient to last for a few seconds.
Regarding your suggestions on hot key for MF2, the team will discuss about it and see if that is doable for us. Thank you for the feedback.

@Utsav
Yes, but notice this, the Lithium Battery that is inside the MF3 is not the traditional Lithium Batteries that everybody uses. The kind we are using was newly introduced to the dash cam market called Lithium Cobalt Oxide Batteries. Lithium cobalt oxide batteries are safer than traditional lithium batteries. It's physical characteristics are very close to supercapacitors. The working temperature can go as low as -30°C and as high as 75°C. It is not to be used as a battery to keep on recording after the power recourse has been disconnected. It is to be used only for saving last files so the power will only be sufficient to last for a few seconds.
Regarding your suggestions on hot key for MF2, the team will discuss about it and see if that is doable for us. Thank you for the feedback.

HOW ABOUT SAFETY ?

Lithium cobalt oxide
(LiCoO2 is a chemical compound commonly used in the positive electrodes oflithium-ion batteries.
Batteries produced with LiCoO2 cathodes, while providing higher capacity, are more reactive and have poorer thermal stability than chemistries such as the newer lithium-nickel-cobalt-aluminum-oxide types. This makes LiCoO2 batteries susceptible to thermal runaway in cases of abuse such as high temperature operation (>130 °C) or overcharging. At elevated temperatures, LiCoO2 decomposition generates oxygen, which then reacts with the organic electrolyte of the cell. This is a safety concern due to the magnitude of this highly exothermic reaction, which can spread to adjacent cells or ignite nearby combustible material.

We can't comment on what the Wikipedia says because everyone can go on it and edit the page. However, we have done our tests regarding the safety usages of the batteries and we can ensure you that it is perfectly safe to use MF3 from 0 °C (32 °F) ~ 75 °C (167°F). If you are very concerned about it, you may choose to use our supercapacitor built models such as the Marcus series, MF2, or Opia2.

Last edited:
if you have a picture or video about testing in hight templature chamber to prove ability of new batterry, that will be great. :)
We can't common on what the Wikipedia says because everyone can go on it and edit the page. However, we have done our tests regarding the safety usages of the batteries and we can ensure you that it is perfectly safe to use MF3 from 0 °C (32 °F) ~ 75 °C (167°F). If you are very concerned about it, you may choose to use our supercapacitor built models such as the Marcus series, MF2, or Opia2.
Sorry for offtopic, but i thought: Taiwan is a country ? when does taiwan become a province of china ?

Sorry for offtopic, but i thought: Taiwan is a country ? when does taiwan become a province of china ?

Taiwan is an island which has for all practical purposes been independent since 1950, but which China regards as a rebel region that must be reunited with the mainland - by force if necessary.
China has claimed sovereignty over Taiwan since the end of the Chinese civil war in 1949, when the defeated Nationalist government fled to the island as the Communists, under Mao Zedong, swept to power.
China insists that nations cannot have official relations with both China and Taiwan, with the result that Taiwan has formal diplomatic ties with only a few countries. The US is Taiwan's most important friend and protector.
Despite its diplomatic isolation, Taiwan has become one of Asia's big traders. It is considered to have achieved an economic miracle, becoming one of the world's top producers of computer technology.

Taiwan has its own president - Tsai Ing-wen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16164639

So why is country of nick vicovation: Taiwan, Province Of China ?

So why is country of nick vicovation: Taiwan, Province Of China ?

Because that is how it is set up in the country file list here.

There is no Taiwan on its own.

Probably one for raising with the admins if it causes issues - they can edit the file

/off topic

Back to the new release :)

Last edited:
In regard to litium batteries there have been a lot going on since the first almost explosive versions to the new stuff, and R&D is ongoing on that field with really interesting stuff coming up, much more capacity and much safer too.

But in general only the first lipos was really dangerous, newer types are much safer.

As long as a dashcam battery can stand the heat of a car, and the housing is made of fireproof plastics or metal i don't see it as a major problem.

As i lipo user in other regards i do look forward to batteries with more capasity, and batteries with same capasity as the ones i use now but much smaller.
In general i can make do with the 5000 MAH batteries i have now, cant see how i should ever use 10.000 MAH batteries for my use.

Do hope Vicovation release a few cameras to testers that have hardware to match them to.

What's the sensor?
How's night quality?

I am guessing its the tried 4 mpix OV sensor

So it compares with Sony imx?

I have one sample here. After i test side by side between opia 2 and M6 plus, then i will have another test with MF3.
Because i dont own a car. I have to install them on my brother' car. But he is too lazy to clean the windsheild. Another way, dust in air, air polution... make windsheild seems always dirty unless after raining. After 2 days, and i don't have satisfied footage.
In this morning, I will clean the windsheild myself. At least, I have a good daylight footage. Will post it tonight.
PS: until now, all product of vico are using ov4689 sensor as i was told.

Last edited:
I bought my Vicovation MF3 dashcam in 2016. It stayed on the shelf and I started to use it just 6-7 month ago. It worked fine for 4 months and now all setting are reset to default very often, nearly every morning. I guess the reason of this is defective battery. The battery that is used in MF3 is Huahui HCC0840. I found the only option online, but they delivery exclusively to China only. Where can I get the replacement battery to be delivered to the Netherlands.

Back