Video cable

Would you buy video cable for A119?

• Total voters

Erik077

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know we talked about getting video cable for this unit but no real info on what we can use - so I will ask:

Can you either give us good info on what can we use it or make us a video cable/cord and sell it to us for some decent price? I have 10" screen stereo which I would like to connect my camera to it and mirror both, live recording and playback on big screen

How many of us are willing to pay some decent price for video cable ?

You can probably use any standard 3.5mm to RCA adapter/cable, just might not match the colors. I do have a battery powered LCD screen I use for flying FPV with my quadcopters, so I could test, but honestly I don't see the need. If you need to play back footage on the scene of an accident, the police officer won't get into your car. Better to just take out the sd card and plug it into a OTG adapter and play it on your smart phone or tablet... Or laptop if you have one with you.

Some one asked this before, so I attached details:
41hxDD5KZOL.jpg

Check from left:

1 for audio left channel
2 for audio right channel
3 for video
4 for ground.

Some one asked this before, so I attached details:
View attachment 25936

Check from left:

1 for audio left channel
2 for audio right channel
3 for video
4 for ground.
left and right audio? from a single microphone? ;)

too bad it couldn't be 1 video, 2 audio, 3/4 ground... so we could just use regular "type-B" 3.5mm cables, shown above, so we wouldn't need to find a 4-conductor 3.5mm cable. but thanks for the pinout info - will definitely be useful!

left and right audio? from a single microphone? ;)

too bad it couldn't be 1 video, 2 audio, 3/4 ground... so we could just use regular "type-B" 3.5mm cables, shown above, so we wouldn't need to find a 4-conductor 3.5mm cable. but thanks for the pinout info - will definitely be useful!
Yeah, I checked the audio a while back and it is on both channels, but it's mono.

Fine, but how do you plug it into a standard car screen, or even into a Windows/Mac laptop?

RCA to Mac doesn't seem to exist. I gave up trying to find one as they all want JUST a monitor to plug into. Why there isn't AV to USB I can't understand?

And you tell me how to attach it to my Porsche PCM without spending $500+!

Hi

I guess this is the kind of cable that I need in order to connect the A119 to my car Head Unit (Panasonic Avh-270BT)

Could you place sent us a link where we can purchase this cable?

I was looking in Amazon with no luck

Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Fine, but how do you plug it into a standard car screen, or even into a Windows/Mac laptop?

RCA to Mac doesn't seem to exist. I gave up trying to find one as they all want JUST a monitor to plug into. Why there isn't AV to USB I can't understand?

And you tell me how to attach it to my Porsche PCM without spending $500+!

Wrote this reply prior to seeing the reply from @Gibson99 . Wow! His solution sounds too good to be true, but a personal experience and low cost trumps all. For what it’s worth, I was going to say:

Hi @DavidUK,

Mostly don’t know. Will poke around a bit and see what I can find out.
  1. I don’t know what the standard car screen inputs are.

2. Had plenty of PCs, but none would demodulate a TV video signal. Seem to recall that some optional PC video(?) cards could demodulate a TV signal.

3. RCA to Mac/USB: Have seen cable adapter and signal converter claims (search av to XXX) but skeptical and have no personal experience. Probably would need active signal conversion and special software.

4. Easiest solution I know – find a 12VDC (if your car has no inverter) TV with composite video and audio inputs. Check specs for inputs: look for key words composite (not component), AV, NTSC, or PAL, that imply the analog composite video capability. Newer displays are less likely to have this old school technology.

5. Users @lacibaci and @walexw have small displays I think. Might ask them.

6. Know what you will be displaying: A standard definition image that looks just like the image on the A119 LCD except for size which is display dependent. When connected, the remote display replaces the A119 LCD in all modes, the LCD goes blank, and the screensaver is deactivated.

Last edited:
There is, and it's dirt cheap. This is what I used to capture video from the camera on my quad copter.

Thanks for that. It's exactly what I had in mind, realising there had to be a "little box" somewhere between the AV out and the USB in.

Now, for the other side, the AV out to RCA (I only need the video) what would you suggest? This one?:
Actually, by putting the first item title "USB 2.0 Video TV DVD VHS Audio Capture Adapter" into eBayUK and then "3.5 video to RCA" both items are available within the UK for around £7 shipped. This avoids possible Post Office "handling" charge of £8 for imports, whether above or below the duty and VAT threshold...

E.g:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301876320640
&

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351200756483
I suspect the same applies to your local eBay worldwide too. Go have a look.

The linked product won't work - "OS: Windows 2000, XP, Vista, WINDOWS 7 32 Bit, but not Win 7 64 bit"

Even if you are able to find one that communicates properly with the Mac, there's no guarantee that you'll get a live feed that legible for your purpose. I remember using one of these with a Windows PC a long time ago, the preview while capturing drops a lot of frames and the quality isn't great either from what I remember. If you can find a solution from the likes of Pinnacle (again only Windows), that may work well but is anyway overkill for the application in question.

Thanks for that. It's exactly what I had in mind, realising there had to be a "little box" somewhere between the AV out and the USB in.

Now, for the other side, the AV out to RCA (I only need the video) what would you suggest? This one?:
Actually, by putting the first item title "USB 2.0 Video TV DVD VHS Audio Capture Adapter" into eBayUK and then "3.5 video to RCA" both items are available within the UK for around £7 shipped. This avoids possible Post Office "handling" charge of £8 for imports, whether above or below the duty and VAT threshold...

E.g:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301876320640
&

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351200756483
I suspect the same applies to your local eBay worldwide too. Go have a look.

Not sure I'm following what your doing but you should know that you have to be careful choosing your AV out to RCA plugs cable. There is no standard wiring configuration for these cables. The item linked ending in "6483" will not work with the A119 because the 3.5mm plug pin 4 (next to back-shell) is not ground and is not connected to the RCA plug shields.

I just happen to be working on a post to explain all this so here's an excerpt.

The Pinouts and Cable Wiring: AV output cables using a 4-pin 3.5mm plug, most commonly break out into three coaxial cables, each terminating in a color coded RCA phono plug. Listed below is the verified wiring for the 3.5mm plug pins which are numbered consecutively from 1 (plug tip) to 4 (next to the back-shell) and are consistent with Viofo post this thread 7 Oct 2016. The wiring to the three color coded (by convention) RCA phono plugs on the other end of the cable is also described.

Pin 1: Left Audio………to the White RCA phono plug center pin.

Pin 2: Right Audio……to the Red RCA phono plug center pin.

Pin 3: Video……………..to the Yellow RCA phono plug center pin.

Pin 4: Ground…………..to all 3 RCA phono plugs’ outer coaxial shield.

If you want to see six different wiring configurations, go to the website http://pinoutguide.com/Home/av_jack_pinout.shtml. Ours is on the right side of the table. Some of the other configurations will work as long as the 3.5mm Pin 4 (next to back-shell) - ground - is connected to all three RCA Plug coaxial shields, but the RCA plug color codes won't be by convention and you will need to re-label them properly.

I bought the Apple iBook AV cable P/N M8434G/A and signal-wise it was fine. But mechanically, the back-shell diameter was too large for the depression around the A119 jack and had to be filed down for the 3.5mm plug to seat properly. Watch that. The RCA jacks were all color coded properly.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Since both the A119 and my car Head Unit uses an 3.5 mm a/v port, I don't need RCA plugs. Where can I find online a good quality 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm a/v cable?

It would be great if one tip is right angled

regards,

Since both the A119 and my car Head Unit uses an 3.5 mm a/v port, I don't need RCA plugs. Where can I find online a good quality 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm a/v cable?

regards,

they may both use a 3.5mm connector for reasons of practicality but you may find it difficult to avoid interference if using something other than a 75ohm video cable an an interconnect between each end

regards,
What @jokiin said, plus there's no guarantee that the pinout on the camera is the same as your head unit. There's no standard like there is for headphones or USB for example.

regards,

Hi @elvyng ,
Panasonic AVH-270BT or Pioneer AVH-270BT? Only found Pioneer. Full disclosure, I knew nothing about Head units until today, but here goes. Maybe somebody with an experience will pipe up. Looked at specs for your unit on Crutchfield site, and it looks doable to me. You can find 3.5mm plug to 3.5mm plug cables (search "3.5 mm 4 pole male to male cable") but I wouldn't recommend it due to potential wiring problems. I found the following cable on the Crutchfield site: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12035AV6/Metra-AIP-35AV6.html. What's nice about this type of cable is that the color coded RCA phono connectors are jacks (female) which mate nicely with the RCA phono plugs (male) found on the typical AV output cables (and not just the A119), and it also gives easy access to plug in other driver distracting AV outputs (hope not). Here's where the composite video and audio color coding convention (Yellow-Video, White-L Audio, Red-R Audio) becomes important. If you confirm that the Metra AIP-35AV6 (or similar) cable is the correct cable for your unit (Crutchfield , Metra, or Pioneer might confirm), then you don't have to worry about the pinout. The problem is confirmation, you need confirmation - of what the pinout is or that the cable you intend to use works with your unit. You can cross check some things if in doubt about the wiring to your unit, for example and most importantly, grounds (I would think that the RCA jack shields should show continuity through the cable to your unit's metal chassis). If your A119 cable conforms to the wiring listed in https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/video-cable.21275/#post-298099 and the RCA phono plugs are conventionally color coded, just match the colors of the two cables and connect. Thought I saw somewhere that for the AV video to play the parking brake had to be on. Looked again but couldn't find it --found it - was for the MVH-AV290BT.

Hope this helps.

Back