VIDEO CAPTURES CRUISER CRASHING INTO CYCLIST - San Francisco Cal

On 8th sec. there is a yellow traffic light, way before crossing, instead of use brakes to reduce speed and prepare for stopping he started pedalling ( increasing speed ) in order to jump trough red light, which leads to accident. Of course no excuse for police car as well, as he have to check mirrors. I see there are both to blame.

The police cruiser had its right signals on at the 3 second mark and the swerves to the left as the cyclist approached without checking.

Last edited:
I wonder if he will be fired, or it will be disciplinary case, or just will cover his back with some silly excuses as they do in many cases to protect "the protectors of the law" ?

I wonder if he will be fired, or it will be disciplinary case, or just will cover his back with some silly excuses as they do in many cases to protect "the protectors of the law" ?

Not sure how it is in San Fran, but here we have had a few off duty cops charged in other municipalities from where they serve. We have also had a few emergency vehicle drivers charged. Right now a police officer is court for hitting and killing a jaywalker where he was doing 100 in a 50 km zone.
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/05/13/accused-cop-cries-as-he-recalls-fatal-crash

As a defensive driving measure and also perhaps an effort to avoid being ticketed, I usually keep a fair bit of space between myself and a police car.

There is used to be an OPP officer that would stare to something on his seat, then speed up and tailgate the car in front of him. I also see a few of them preoccupied with something and not use signals. As such, I was well back of a Toronto police car and to the lanes to his left when this happened

In Ontario, cars must move to the lane to the side of them if space permits if an emergency vehicle or tow truck is doing his or her duties.

Even though I give marked police cars room when driving and drive with caution when they are in the vicinity, I am all for unmarked police cars as I feel they are more likely to catch cars texting and driving or in this case - driving on the shoulder

I understand some states in the US may have laws against unmarked cars in certain circumstances.

I do believe if any vehicle is going 30 kms above the posted speed while responding to a matter, they should have full sirens and lights on, to among other things, avoid hitting jayways at intersections.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/05/13/accused-cop-cries-as-he-recalls-fatal-crash

Last edited:
Even the police officers unions probably couldn't defend a cop doing double the limit here, but if any charges are made against the cop in this clip I'm certain the unions will get him off, even though they shouldn't.

I say the cop is at fault here. He has right signal on as if he's waiting to turn right, then jumps out to the left without any warning so there's no way the bike could have known that was going to happen.

And after a few re-watchings, it does look like the bike was planning to run the red. Doesn't excuse the cop from what he did though. However, it shouldn't split blame, as it's two completely different charges. Cop changed lanes without looking, and bike wasnt slowing down for the yellow like he should have. But even if he had slowed down, he still would have been hit by the cop.

Cyclist about to run yellow/red light, something the entitled cyclist does all day. Cop thinking traffic rules don't apply to lawmen.

karma+%281%29.jpg

During that same day in San Francisco, a cyclist and car was involved in a road rage. Bike loses that battle of course.

http://hoodline.com/2016/05/car-cyclist-collision-snarls-traffic-on-market-street

http://www.sfexaminer.com/alleged-hit-run-cyclist-market-street-foiled-passersby/
“It was like a movie,” she said. Someone grabbed the driver before she could get back to her car, and someone pulled her car door open, Ulf said.

That’s when a “good Samaritan” leapt into the car and grabbed the driver’s keys, Smith said, and the driver then “grabbed her pink Taser and tried to Tase [him].”

Last edited:
Hope the guy is alright.

He (Timothy Doyle) has been active in the youtube clips on this matter, and hoodline.com, replying to one of the links @flank provided on another car and bicycle incident. Tim doyle was taken to the hospital and had two broken ribs from the incident.

from http://hoodline.com/2016/05/car-cyclist-collision-snarls-traffic-on-market-street Quote from Mr Doyle
I got hit by a SFPD car at 5:45pm at 2nd and Mission. At Least I got hit by a cop who didn't try to flee. He called an ambulance for me. But I did see that a bit of a lie trying to be put into the report that the lights and siren were on. Not true. The cop car was in a parking space alongside 2nd street and without looking or seeing me just pulled out into my lane as I was doing 25mph and I t-boned the cop car. I flew 15 feet through the air and landed flat on my back. Spent 10 hours in the SFGH Emergency Department and was discharged with a few cracked bones and a gnarly right leg wound.

The officer didn't try to flee and he did offer assistance, but the officer make the false claim the sirens were on. A Witnesses dashcam illustrates the officer wasn't telling the truth on this matter.

Last edited:
pedalpusher got taken out :eek:
But i must say WTF to the bicycle lane in the middle of the street, and the cop lying about the siren beeing on is a equal big WTF.

On the other hand, it do look like the pedalpusher is about to run a red light right beside a cruiser.

Need to keep those pedalpushers along the curb that way there is 1 less side where harm can reach them, unless offcourse some dumbass in a parked car trow open his door without looking first.

I am glad frisco is frisco, that way i can say i am too old for cycling all those hills, and not the truth that i am scared to drive around in the middle of the street.

pedalpusher got taken out :eek:
But i must say WTF to the bicycle lane in the middle of the street, and the cop lying about the siren beeing on is a equal big WTF.

On the other hand, it do look like the pedalpusher is about to run a red light right beside a cruiser.

Need to keep those pedalpushers along the curb that way there is 1 less side where harm can reach them, unless offcourse some dumbass in a parked car trow open his door without looking first.

I am glad frisco is frisco, that way i can say i am too old for cycling all those hills, and not the truth that i am scared to drive around in the middle of the street.

SAY FRISCO ONE MORE TIME (and I will do bad things to you, channeling Hanc0ck from the movie)
Asshole
:D

The lane is there because the right lane is a turn lane, the bike lane is in the proper spot.

Just call the city "San Fran" instead.

The police would get part of the blame for not checking shoulder or mirror before changing lanes. And for lying about the lights and sirens.

Anyhow sometimes police may need to make an emergency without using siren such as responding to robbery in progress to avoid spooking criminals. Accident will happen like this one that happened in my old home town:

Car making left turn in front of the police didn't see the police car coming and no siren to warn the driver. Siren wouldn't matter if the driver has genuine hearing loss (like me) and can't hear oncoming police. Blind spot, blind turns, etc beware.

He (Timothy Doyle) has been active in the youtube clips on this matter, and hoodline.com, replying to one of the links @flank provided on another car and bicycle incident. Tim doyle was taken to the hospital and had two broken ribs from the incident.

from http://hoodline.com/2016/05/car-cyclist-collision-snarls-traffic-on-market-street Quote from Mr Doyle
I got hit by a SFPD car at 5:45pm at 2nd and Mission. At Least I got hit by a cop who didn't try to flee. He called an ambulance for me. But I did see that a bit of a lie trying to be put into the report that the lights and siren were on. Not true. The cop car was in a parking space alongside 2nd street and without looking or seeing me just pulled out into my lane as I was doing 25mph and I t-boned the cop car. I flew 15 feet through the air and landed flat on my back. Spent 10 hours in the SFGH Emergency Department and was discharged with a few cracked bones and a gnarly right leg wound.

The officer didn't try to flee and he did offer assistance, but the officer make the false claim the sirens were on. A Witnesses dashcam illustrates the officer wasn't telling the truth on this matter.

That's good that he didn't get life threatening injuries or wasn't thrown in the path of oncoming traffic. Good thing there was a dash cam filming.

On 8th sec. there is a yellow traffic light, way before crossing, instead of use brakes to reduce speed and prepare for stopping he started pedalling ( increasing speed ) in order to jump trough red light, which leads to accident. Of course no excuse for police car as well, as he have to check mirrors. I see there are both to blame.

Exactly. What are the justifications given by cyclists for going through red lights?
"I knew it was safe." "I have good observation skills and reactions." "Bikes can brake quicker than other vehicles."

BS on all counts, as shown here.
More BS: Mr Doyle claims above that "I got hit by a SFPD car". No. Mr Doyle hit the car.

I think the police car was completely in the wrong too. But I'm just so sick that cyclists are so in denial of the risks they take. Everything else aside, every overtake is a manoeuvre. There is risk involved. Always. You need to anticipate changes and be prepared to react. And if it isn't safe, slow down or don't do it. Everyone is supposed to maintain a margin for error, but to most cyclists this is an alien concept.

Last edited:
The police would get part of the blame for not checking shoulder or mirror before changing lanes. And for lying about the lights and sirens.

Anyhow sometimes police may need to make an emergency without using siren such as responding to robbery in progress to avoid spooking criminals. Accident will happen like this one that happened in my old home town:

Car making left turn in front of the police didn't see the police car coming and no siren to warn the driver. Siren wouldn't matter if the driver has genuine hearing loss (like me) and can't hear oncoming police. Blind spot, blind turns, etc beware.
looked to me like the cop had a green light. so there's no excuse for that car turning across in front of the police.

Last edited:
The bicycle was on bright green bicycle lane where he was hit.
An accident that is entirely cop's fault.
As for disciplinary action against the cop, foooorget it. Probably very minor verbal warning.
99% of cops get paid vacation in killing of innocents and this is a genuine accident.

Also, people think from their stinking ass when they say those who try to get past yellow light deserve getting hit.
Not ideal but doesn't deserve getting hurt or killed.

Back