Video corruption?

DaveJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you help please.

I can open my videos OK on my iMac (M1 Monterey) but some of them (a small percentage) will not open when the rest of the same batch do. Sometimes the corrupt files are zero bytes sometimes have a normal looking value in the info menu.
This happens in Mac preview (Quick Time) which says "This file isn't compatible with QT Player"

If I try to open them in Nextbase Player nothing happens and same result with Elmedia Player nothing happens. The bad ones clearly have nothing in them only MP4 seen in their icons.

Why would some MP4 open but some not if it were a computer or player problem? I am guessing it is corruption in camera?

My Dashcam is great otherwise, 322GW DUAL with default left to record FH & FL also rear cam.

New to forum have not read very post yet so apologies if it has been asked before.

Thanks for looking.

Is there anything significant about these files. Are they the last file before turning off the car ignition ?

Or a regular pattern like stop/start ?

With your suggestions I will have to look properly, never thought about stop/start.

Thanks

Stop/start can be a nightmare if the dashcam is wired to a circuit that briefly gets cut when the starter cranks each time.

In the meantime, power the dashcam indoors via a mobile phone charger and see how long it stays powered when unplugged. Nextbase dashcams have a rechargeable battery to 'close' the current file when ignition power is lost but these series 2 batteries don't seem to last very long from posts here.

I try to remember to turn Stop/start off but a pain doing that for every journey unless a long one.

Can you help please.

I can open my videos OK on my iMac (M1 Monterey) but some of them (a small percentage) will not open when the rest of the same batch do. Sometimes the corrupt files are zero bytes sometimes have a normal looking value in the info menu.
This happens in Mac preview (Quick Time) which says "This file isn't compatible with QT Player"

If I try to open them in Nextbase Player nothing happens and same result with Elmedia Player nothing happens. The bad ones clearly have nothing in them only MP4 seen in their icons.

Why would some MP4 open but some not if it were a computer or player problem? I am guessing it is corruption in camera?

My Dashcam is great otherwise, 322GW DUAL with default left to record FH & FL also rear cam.

New to forum have not read very post yet so apologies if it has been asked before.

Thanks for looking.
Hi Dave,

This sounds like an SD card failure. SD cards only have limited lifespans. In our manuals we recommend formatting every 2-3 weeks to prolong the life of the card. Without this regular formatting, or if the card is non-compatible or damaged, the card could corrupt which would cause a failure of data writing.
Symptoms of SD card failure are: an audible 'alarm' tone, non-functional buttons, freezing, corrupted files on playback, image missing from files, lack of file recording etc.

Please can you let me know the following:
What brand, size, model and class of SD card are you using please?
When and where was the SD card purchased please?
How often is the card usually formatted please?
Do you also have a rear camera please?

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Thanks for your help, looks like time for a new card then.
Ive had this one since 2020 so well used.
Samsung EVO U3 128GB came from Pic Stop has been fine until recently. I do format periodically in the Nextbase and I do have the rear camera fitted..
regards.
Do you recommend a different type of SD?
Dave.

Hi Dave,

For a 322GW I'd recommend a Dash Cam compatible 8GB -128GB U3 Micro SD card, specifically designed for Dash Cam or CCTV usage. Using a dash cam compatible SD card instead should then allow your Dash Cam to function as designed. The card needs to have a minimum continuous write speed of 48MB/s.

For guaranteed functionality and warranty of the SD card itself, I'd suggest a Nextbase Micro SD card.
https://nextbase.co.uk/accessories/

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J 322GW 5
Back