Video file size and video frame hiccups?

gryu

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I got the B1W and 3-minute videos take on average 280mb per video. Is that normal?

Also on the videos, it seems like moving objects on opposing directions or light poles you see noticeable frame skips. Is that normal?
(see the video in below comments):

The app shows DVR version c04_v1.06.180528s

SD card in use (brand new) Samsung 64GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSDXC EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME64GA/AM)

Last edited:
So I got the B1W and 3-minute videos take on average 280mb per video. Is that normal?
Yes, it should be normal! A file with a 1 min duration takes up about 90 MB
Also on the videos, it seems like moving objects on opposing directions or light poles you see noticeable frame skips. Is that normal?
It is better to update raw video footage for further inspection, thanks for your help!

see video:
It is quite common for it to drop to 24fps in low light, which when played at 30fps does cause what appears to be frame skipping. That is normal for the B1W, it is a cheap dashcam not a movie camera. In bright sunlight there should be genuine 30fps.

You seem to have good image quality... you might want to tilt it down a little so that the horizon is in the centre of the image.

It should be normal form this video footage demo!

b1w.jpg

That's a video player issue, I just watched your file on chrome and saw a few hiccups but after downloading and playing it multiple times with VLC there was not a single issue.

That's a video player issue, I just watched your file on chrome and saw a few hiccups but after downloading and playing it multiple times with VLC there was not a single issue.
The OP should be able to check this by stepping through the video 1 frame at a time and watching how far the van moves each time, if the video is smooth then the steps will be equal, if there are real gaps then the steps will be obviously different sizes.

OP - what refresh rate is your monitor? trying to play 30fps video on a 24fps/50fps/75fps monitor can cause a lack of smoothness...

easiest test to check for dropped frames is go to an open car park somewhere where there's a bit of room and drive slowly round in circles, (just at idle is all you need, slow works best for this), if it skips frames or repeats frames it becomes very noticeable when playing back

Back