Video files won't play on phone app.

Easy

Reaction score
Country
United States
The phone is an Android 8.1.0.
When I try to play a video file with the app, the screen just goes black with the play triangle in the middle.
The files play find on the computer but I'd like to be able to play them 'on site' should the need ever arise.
Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum Easy.

Are you opening them within the viofo app, or do you do it with another player ?
Now i am a pretty big noob on this as i almost never DL footage to the phone i have a intense dislike for, but i have tried it with other Viofo cameras and other brands and it always worked fine for me ( 2 -3 year old android phone )

It could be a missing codec, at least on the computer people some times hit that problem.

Hi kamkar,

I'm attempting to open them within the viafo app. I assume they would play fine if I downloaded them then played them in another app but that would sure be taking the long way around.
Nevertheless, I'll give that a try and let you know how it went.

Try turning off your phones data.

Also, be sure your running the latest app version.

Well, I installed VLC on the phone. (That company just keeps getting better).
It played the file without a problem. It even found the file for me. Good thing, I wouldn't know where to look.

As far as turning off the data, I'm reasonably sure the phone takes care of that by itself. As soon as it links to the camera's wi-fi, it pops up with a message that the internet is no longer available. I'll look into it a bit more just to be sure.

I really don't envision having much need for the viofo app but it would be very nice to be able pull out my phone and settle any disagreements on the spot.
If the situation doesn't need immediate attention, I would actually much rather view the footage on my computer.
That was one of the criteria that led me to buying this particular camera. It's really easy to just pop it out and plug in into my computer. Or even my TV if I want to view it on a really big screen.

Try turning off your phones data.

Also, be sure your running the latest app version.
Turns out there is a toggle for data. Didn't help.
I assume it's the latest app. I just installed it a couple of days ago from the Google store.

Back