Video footage looks grainy/snowy on 2560x1080

Daniel Tate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Received from gearbest, no blur or focus issues but video quality looks all fuzzy, grainy and weird. I'll have to try lower resolutions when I next go out. Could it be do to using s.fine quality?
Otherwise if the lower resolutions make no difference, something is wrong with it, I did a side by side comparison with my G1W-C and although the Mini provides sharper cleaner image whereas the G1W almost tries to blur it out to make it looks more appealing, eitherway the G1W-C looks massively better for now.

Right, so iv'e tried normal/fine/super fine and resolutions of 2560 x 1080 + 2304 x 1296 and 1920 x 1080 HDR and all look grainy and unbearable. This is unacceptable. it's almost like it's recorded perfect footage, then it's added a snowy/grainy glistening effect all over it.

Right, so iv'e tried normal/fine/super fine and resolutions of 2560 x 1080 + 2304 x 1296 and 1920 x 1080 HDR and all look grainy and unbearable. This is unacceptable. it's almost like it's recorded perfect footage, then it's added a snowy/grainy glistening effect all over it.
Try resetting it to default settings...

I found the 0826 had some strange overlay or something when viewing the footage during the day, not quite artifacts but it was like there wasn't enough bandwidth or something and it was using some form of dithering effect. Running at full resolution then resizing to 1080p helped reduce the effect.. Not sure if this is the same thing you are experiencing but the Street Guardian I have is very clean in comparison.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying guys, Yes recording during the day.....

Ok so iv'e clicked default settings, powers off and I have to power it back on. Default resolution is the 2560 x 1080, and i think is "normal" quality. I forgot to check once again. But when I first changed to my own settings yesterday it was on normal, so i'm guessing so....

Here is a 1 minute video with CPL filter in rubbish clouds ready to rain. It kind of looks like some of the grainy effect has gone, but that could be due to the fact it isn't sunny, where it was yesterday when testing. I'll test in morning as i'm a bit busy now.
Please download and give it a play. Is this what the quality was like at default settings for you?

https://www.mediafire.com/?iddc533a99dq6d2

oSY15HH.jpg

For those of you that have this (from gearbest) what are the video settings you feel are best? Thanks

Last edited:
I found the 0826 had some strange overlay or something when viewing the footage during the day, not quite artifacts but it was like there wasn't enough bandwidth or something and it was using some form of dithering effect. Running at full resolution then resizing to 1080p helped reduce the effect.. Not sure if this is the same thing you are experiencing but the Street Guardian I have is very clean in comparison.
Yeah, that's probably it, to me it just looked snowy, grainy, fuzzy looking all over the screen. I'm using a 64gb sandisk which writes (confirmed) over 40mbp/s.
On the tests I did yesterday where it was grainy to high heaven, it was clear to the point pressing pause you could easily read reg plates on car coming in the opposite direction etc. Hopefully reelecting default settings and then changing to super fine fixes it.

Is this the dithering effect you meant?
4LgARfN.jpg

Last edited:
Default settings are 2560x1080 and super fine....

Here is an example of quality per main resolutions using CPL filter in cloudy/rain sitting still.
As you can see, 1080p and 1296p look very colorful, almost as though some form of Hi def filter has been put over the top. Under 1080p you can barely make out the street name, it's very jiggered. Default resolution is more washed out, less colorful but far more clearer at reading the street plaque name. Hopefully the rain does one so I can do a test in much brighter conditions.

1080p HDR
WVuyVZt.jpg

1296p resolution
OLxKMab.jpg

Default settings
zGaBwKA.jpg

Slightly tilted upwards (default settings)
0a5crx2.jpg

Last edited:
Check without CPL.

Nope, still looks grainy with or without the CPL filter, almost makes no difference at all the filter either. Is this a camera problem or potentially a firmware issue? Also when recording, the cameras records a strange beep noise when playing the footage, very low sounding, but it's there.

did you adjust the filter so it was aligned correctly?
Hi, I've did that during video recording but makes no difference. Where should the .DOT. Of the CPL filter face? Like top center or bottom center etc...?

CPL filter makes no difference to the problem with the huge grain effect. I do see that the CPL filter removes the glare at a certain position depending on where the dashcam is installed and the suns location of beam. But this grain effect is unbearable.

Hi again. I need some help about the best quality video for the mini 826 gps dash cam. Which is the best option for getting a clean and high quality video? Thanks

Thanks for replying guys, Yes recording during the day.....

Ok so iv'e clicked default settings, powers off and I have to power it back on. Default resolution is the 2560 x 1080, and i think is "normal" quality. I forgot to check once again. But when I first changed to my own settings yesterday it was on normal, so i'm guessing so....

Here is a 1 minute video with CPL filter in rubbish clouds ready to rain. It kind of looks like some of the grainy effect has gone, but that could be due to the fact it isn't sunny, where it was yesterday when testing. I'll test in morning as i'm a bit busy now.
Please download and give it a play. Is this what the quality was like at default settings for you?

https://www.mediafire.com/?iddc533a99dq6d2

oSY15HH.jpg

For those of you that have this (from gearbest) what are the video settings you feel are best? Thanks
I donwloaded and saw your clip. Here is my thought:
You may try clean your windshield and test it again :)

Lol, it's always clean, as is the lens and filter :D ..... it's just the cameras I guess.

Hi again. I need some help about the best quality video for the mini 826 gps dash cam. Which is the best option for getting a clean and high quality video? Thanks
Hi, Resolution 2560*1080 is the best for high quality video of Mini0826

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
garrycol Mini 0826 8
C Mini 0826 3
Back