Video is fine but NO audio being recorded on B1W dashcam

Mark S-H

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Dash Cam
K6000, G1WH, G1WC, B1W, B4K
I wanted to have a look at a video file on my B1W dashcam today.
When I looked at the files I have noticed there is NO audio on any of the files but the video is fine.
I'm not sure how long this has been going on but does anyone know what has caused this, and how to rectify this?

Check in the settings, maybe the microphone is Off for some reason? Previously, there was no information from users about the loss of audio recording

I have checked the settings and noticed that the speaker sign on the video screen had a line across it..
but the sound recording switch within the setup was ON. As below..

IMG_20210531_202813.jpg
So I switched it OFF as below but this still has not changed anything. There is still no audio.

IMG_20210531_202838.jpg
IMG_20210531_202912.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210531_202912.jpg
    IMG_20210531_202912.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
have you really turned up the sound on your playing device?
The B1W has a super quiet mic. Try yelling when the dashcam is on.

The B1W has a super quiet mic. Try yelling when the dashcam is on.
Not the case lol...
Download its video clip to your phone local memory, it should have sound then or playback directly on your computer.

Not the case lol...
Download its video clip to your phone local memory, it should have sound then or playback directly on your computer.
For some reason I am having problems downloading a 3 minute file to my telephone but I recorded a 20 second file and downloaded it to my telephone but still no sound.
Playing the videos back on my computer there is no sound. Past videos (several months ago) there is no problem.
It just seems like the microphone in the camera has suddenly stopped working.
Any other ideas?

It is a faulty camera, send it back for the warranty, please!
Hi Vicky, I have been testing the camera this morning and I have reinstalled the firmware v1.06.180528s as below -
Now I have discovered the microphone is recording but it is VERY quiet.
Maybe the microphone is dirty? Can I open the camera and possibly clean the microphone?
I'm not sure if the camera is still under warranty or that you will repair/replace the camera as you sent it to me back in November 2017
- See here: Review November 2017 :) ....or maybe you will? ;)

1622537673470.jpg

Lol, it is time to update a new camera from us?

Lol, it is time to update a new camera from us?
LOL, maybe but why get a new camera when my B1W camera works ok...(apart from the audio).
I really like my B1W. We have become inseparable :)
The photos below is from a recording of 31st May 2021. It was raining hence the smearing on the photos.

Vicky, are you going to send me another...maybe a B4K? :)

1622544406070.png
1622544651404.png

Has the audio been OK before now? The electret mics in dashcams don't often go bad unless they get wet. Also there's only a small hole in the case to admit sound- be sure it's clear. Do not poke anything into that hole if it's blocked, but take the case apart to clear it if it's blocked, as the mic can be easily ruined by poking at it.

Phil

Has the audio been OK before now? The electret mics in dashcams don't often go bad unless they get wet. Also there's only a small hole in the case to admit sound- be sure it's clear. Do not poke anything into that hole if it's blocked, but take the case apart to clear it if it's blocked, as the mic can be easily ruined by poking at it.

Phil
Yes, the audio has been fine up until what could be just recently.
The camera itself has lasted 3.5 years....so it's not too bad.
Funny you say what you have just said....
I did take it all apart but I only drill out and made the microphone hole a little bigger.

1622550780678.jpeg

If the mic is bad, enlarging the hole won't help much or at all. If you have an old cam laying around you can try swapping the mic. There are basically 4 types of electret mics in common use, and 2 types cover about 70% of the devices so chances are good a 'blind' swap will work. Sizes do vary as well, but as long as you can fit it and the type is correct it will work. Do be aware that the front face of these mics (the clear plastic bubble) must not touch anything or audio will drop badly. Ditto for damaging that bubble in any way. Other than that electret mics are extremely rugged as long as they don't get wet.

There was a short period of time where people were having mic problems with the B1W but I think it was resolved- I never heard any official response over that, but the problem reports stopped coming in so I guess it was fixed. No fun to have any cam malfunction, but I think getting 3.5 years from a budget-friendly cam like this isn't too bad. Were it an expensive high-priced cam I'd expect at least 5 years service. Given what these do and the conditions they are used in, I think they do OK overall. And by 5 years there will be better sensors, higher resolution, and higher bitrates making a new cam worth thinking about. The B1W is still OK for a budget cam, but better can be had now for not too much more cost.

Phil

The audio seems better but not perfect. I was wondering if getting a new microphone from AliExpress or somewhere and swapping the old microphone for a new one. Possibly one of these microphones: AliExpress microphones
I wonder about putting new capacitors in the camera. Anyone know what the specs are for the capacitors?
If it all goes pear-shaped I will get a new B1W as I like this camera very much.

FYI - After stripping down my B1W dashcam and putting it all back together, I am pleased to say the video and audio is good as new.
Not bad for a dashcam which is 3½ years old!!
Happy again. I may not need to buy a new dashcam for another few years :)
Today 8th June 2021

1623153822864.png1623153956429.png

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A B1W 8
V B1W 18
G B1W 17
S B1W 1
P B1W 59
Back