Video lengths, 1/3/5 minutes?

34Ford

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 988 in my Polaris side by side and we ride in excess of 10 hours a day and in that time I end up with around 1000 files to deal with if set to 1 minute.

Should I go to 3 or 5 minutes? What is the disadvantage?

Why the 1 minute anyway?

The fragmentation in dashcams are a means to fight footage loss if something go bad, so in that case you just loose 1 - 3 - 5 minutes VS if it did the max file size which is often 15 minutes or so you would loose so much more.
Personally i have always used 3 minute files, but yeah it still take 20 of those to make up 1 hour of driving, but editing are easy for me using power director, i just impurt the XX files, highlight them all and then drop them onto the time line, and they all end up there in the order of recording, so in that case if i want nothing else i can go strait to choose how i would like to have the movie made up of XX files exported as one big file.

Yea, its like deal with the 10 hours of files or run the risk of losing some. Power director? Have to google that.

Also part of my frustration is dealing with the mov files I have to convert and merge all of these files together. I use Vegas Pro.

Last edited:
Power director is up to version 19 now, mine is the #17 version, there also is a expanded 365 version which have even more options but then if a monthly fee
The regular have all the stuff i would ever need, and then some, so i went with that.

I think all edit softwares have the smarts build in that if the user drop XX files to the time line, then he probably like them arranged according to the name / time /date of the files.

If you like i can easy do a video of the workflow i have splicing many files together to one.

I am trying Bandicut for converting and merging right now before loading the mp4's into Vegas.

Yea, its like deal with the 10 hours of files or run the risk of losing some. Power director? Have to google that.

Also part of my frustration is dealing with the mov files I have to convert and merge all of these files together. I use Vegas Pro.
FWIW, I have been happy with Shotcut for file editing. Personally, I prefer longer video files: 5-10 minutes. Once you start dealing with longer files, it does tax both the hardware and software resources of the computer. For me, the bother of splitting/trimming a few files is better that the bother of splicing many files.

If the files from the camera have a overlap, then yes thats a pain as you will have to deal with that manual.
Good old registrator viewer could do this automatic with no interaction after initial setup, but i think today most cameras do not have the file overlap ( generally 1 second / 30 frames )
I am not even sure if current dashcam software's have this feature.

But the need for this, at least for me personally is long gone, so if i had to deal with something like that it would be CUZ i have some action right around a file handover, but otherwise i have no need to bunch together several videos.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H DV988 1
F DV988 4
Back