Video Quality Issues

andysmith

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I received the A800S almost a month ago, and it has one of the worst video quality I have seen on a dashcam. I have the 70Mai pro in my other car and the video quality of that one is amazing. I sent to 70Mai support and they are refusing to acknowledge the issue. I am sharing images from the A800S

Attachments

• A800S 3.jpg
    A800S 3.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 99
  • A800S 2.jpg
    A800S 2.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 91
  • A800S 1.jpg
    A800S 1.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 87
Here are images from the 70Mai Pro for comparison

Attachments

• 70Mai Pro  4.jpg
    70Mai Pro 4.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 70Mai Pro  3.jpg
    70Mai Pro 3.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 70Mai Pro  2.jpg
    70Mai Pro 2.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 70Mai Pro  1.jpg
    70Mai Pro 1.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 70
There might be something there, you Canadians will do better copying European plate design than American.

looks like the lens is slightly off focus
yes, but the seller is refusing to return/ replace the camera saying they don't see any issues with the video ! The camera was purchased from 70Mai Aliexpress store front

yes, but the seller is refusing to return/ replace the camera saying they don't see any issues with the video ! The camera was purchased from 70Mai Aliexpress store front
would be passable in their opinion, warranty support from Aliexpress is a challenge even for things that don't even power up, risk of buying there

Here are images from the 70Mai Pro for comparison
Have you compared the bitrate difference from both cameras? My suspicion is that the A800s is running at a much lower bitrate.
If you have, can you share those numbers with us?
I also have one of those A800s and while it is a decent camera for it's price, I feel it could do much better with some firmware modification/ improvement.
EDIT: bitrate from the footage

Last edited:
Here is the bitrate from both cameras

Attachments

• bitrate A800S.jpg
    bitrate A800S.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 19
  • Bitrate 70Mai Pro.jpg
    Bitrate 70Mai Pro.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: EGS
I can see that bitrate is higher on the A800s than the pro but the picture quality of the A800s is lesser than the pro based on your pictures and that's odd. So it is possible the lens is not sharply in focus. Also it's possible image is affected by low quality lenses in these units.

I can see that bitrate is higher on the A800s than the pro but the picture quality of the A800s is lesser than the pro based on your pictures and that's odd.
4K res would need a lot higher bitrate than that, the other one is still a bit low but only 2k

Reactions: EGS
I just submitted an email to 70MAI tech support annd I added two sample videos, one in 4K and the other one in 1080p. I just noticed that the 4K one has a bit rate of 5244.4 kbps (640.2 kbyte/s) and it's 120MB in size, and the 1080p one is 320MB in size and has a bit rate of 14328.9 kbps (1749.1 kbyte/s). So basically 3 times higher. I also have 1080p files of 400MB in size and a bit rate of 18508.5 kbps (2259.3 kbyte/s)
However I experience video interruptions at the same rate no matter the selected resolution, no matter if the GPS info is on or off. When the GPS info is on I occasionally experience GPS info issues, like the car speed is 100+Kmph and the GPS would display 20-50Kmph for 10-30 seconds in a row.

At this point I wish I could set the camera at max 2k but have it working properly, like my old setup did.

I sent to 70Mai in their forum and they acknowledged the issue and claimed it will be fixed in the next firmware! I personally doubt that it is a firmware issue, seems like a hardware issue. Still they won't accept the return. Aliexpress policies protect sellers more than buyers.
here is a link to the thread in which the say a fix is coming in the next update:

I have purchased a Viofo A129 Pro 4K, and the difference is day and night. The A800S is just garbage, atleast the one that I have

I sent to 70Mai in their forum and they acknowledged the issue and claimed it will be fixed in the next firmware! I personally doubt that it is a firmware issue, seems like a hardware issue. Still they won't accept the return. Aliexpress policies protect sellers more than buyers.
here is a link to the thread in which the say a fix is coming in the next update:

I have purchased a Viofo A129 Pro 4K, and the difference is day and night. The A800S is just garbage, atleast the one that I have
I have compared both closely and I agree that there is a tremendous difference between the A129 Pro and the A800s. Actually even the A129 Plus is capable of giving more detail than the A800s. I have pointed that out numerous times to the A800s team since I was participating in one of their pre release beta testers but I quickly learned nothing won't change their way. Perhaps they felt the hardware could not handle higher bitrates.
They also know there is a severe lens distortion (fish eye effect) and they know some of it could be corrected bia firmware but they won't do it. It is a cheap camera and they don't want to add more costs on top of it i think. Maybe for the price point is just barely enough :rolleyes:

I had high hopes after trying the Pro model. I am disappointed to have made the decision to buy the A800S. I am stuck with a $100 paper weight

I have purchased a Viofo A129 Pro 4K, and the difference is day and night. The A800S is just garbage, atleast the one that I have.
I did the same, but I bought the cheapest Viofo a119v3 - but still significantly better than my 70mai a800s.

However I experience video interruptions at the same rate no matter the selected resolution, no matter if the GPS info is on or off.
I had the camera replaced and I have the same issues. I don't know what to think at this point.
So I'm experiencing the same the same problem with two cameras, 5 SD cards (4 U1 and one U3), in the car and then off the car using 4 different ways of providing power (car batteries, UPS battery, smartphone charger, in the actual car both from the cigarette charger or hardwired with the hardwire kit for all the power supplies used less the smartphone charger.

This is how it looks like with the new camera:

Anybody has any opinion? Do you guys think I'm maybe using something that triggers the cameras do that and they are actually good?
I don't think it's overheating because these things happen as soon as I power the camera.

Hi,

I bought A800S too. I had a big expectations for this camera. Because of reviews on YouTube. Now i know, they was paid.
I created a dispute on Aliexpress with 70mai and i send them 4k non edited video. Quality is super bad and their answer:

Quality is ok, we don't see any problems here.

70mai A800S Video Sample (A800S quality, A800S review, A800S 4k video):

Please, stay away from 70mai company. They are scammers, banning ppl from forum when you write the truth about quality issues.
For this price you can buy better dashboard cameras, not this piece of crap from scammers company.

They are already ignoring A800S support section on their official forum.

Have a nice day & i hope i saved you some money.

Hi,

I bought A800S too. I had a big expectations for this camera. Because of reviews on YouTube. Now i know, they was paid.
I created a dispute on Aliexpress with 70mai and i send them 4k non edited video. Quality is super bad and their answer:

Quality is ok, we don't see any problems here.

70mai A800S Video Sample (A800S quality, A800S review, A800S 4k video):

Please, stay away from 70mai company. They are scammers, banning ppl from forum when you write the truth about quality issues.
For this price you can buy better dashboard cameras, not this piece of crap from scammers company.

They are already ignoring A800S support section on their official forum.

Have a nice day & i hope i saved you some money.
What do you think about the rear view camera picture quality?

Here is a sample of my rear camera view and I think looks a bit worse than yours.
It not only looks fussy but also looks vintage.

Back