Video too bright due to sunlight. How to fix?

dashcam1

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is the following bad video due to sun light or the quality gone bad after sometime? The video is from Anker Roav dashcam . I have set the video quality setting to 1080P & usually the video quality is very good day and night but when there is too much sunlight outside it is not good as you can see in the YouTube video I just created. I had to create YouTube link because it says file is too large. Sorry for the loud foreign music you will hear. Can you guys tell me how to fix this problem with too much sunlight? I am very basic and very new to to dashcam. Thank you

Last edited:
That certainly doesn't look right. Does the camera have exposure setting options? Look for something in the menu that says, "EV" (Exposure Value). If it does, check to see if it is at zero. If so try - EV options. (minus)

It is also possible that you have a defective camera but we need to know a bit more about what is going on.

I was gonna suggest pointing the camera down a little so it shows less sky but its clear the position isn't the problem. If you can't adjust the exposure I'd return the camera

Is there an option in the settings for exposure compensation?
I'm wondering if it is set to a + value now by mistake.
Try setting it to 0, or if it is already 0, try -1 or -2 EV.

I quite like Anker products, I'd be surprised if a genuine Anker would overexpose this much at default settings.

I don't see anything that says exposure in the menu. There is something that says frequency and option is 50 or 60HZ. Is that the one? BTW here is the link to Roav cam. https://www.amazon.com/gp/B06XNSDRW8
No, changing the frequency shouldn't help with this.
Maybe exposure is called something else ("brightness"?)
I see it has something called Nighthawk Vision. Is that something that can be enabled/disabled? The last thing you need is to be boosting brightness in bright sunlight.

Edit> I downloaded a manual, and there seem to be very few settings, and nothing for exposure.
But it has WiFi and there's an app for it. Maybe the app can change the exposure? I'm grasping at straws here, but it's worth checking.

A last resort solution may be to run it through VLC or similar, to lower the brightness, maybe it can be restored to something more usable.

Last edited:
Do the camera have a option in the menus to reset it to default settings, maybe also a little reset button you could try ?

Yes, try the reset option. If that doesn't work, the app allows you to update the device. Maybe there is newer firmware that works better.
(I don't see any exposure setting via the app. :()

Yes, try the reset option. If that doesn't work, the app allows you to update the device. Maybe there is newer firmware that works better.
(I don't see any exposure setting via the app. :()
This dashcam is a new release maybe just 2 months old and they released new firmware which I updated but no where in the menu I see exposure settings.

No, changing the frequency shouldn't help with this.
Maybe exposure is called something else ("brightness"?)
I see it has something called Nighthawk Vision. Is that something that can be enabled/disabled? The last thing you need is to be boosting brightness in bright sunlight.

Edit> I downloaded a manual, and there seem to be very few settings, and nothing for exposure.
But it has WiFi and there's an app for it. Maybe the app can change the exposure? I'm grasping at straws here, but it's worth checking.

A last resort solution may be to run it through VLC or similar, to lower the brightness, maybe it can be restored to something more usable.
Nothing about nighthawks in the menu or in the app. When you watch the video, you think it is due to sun light? Or just poor video quality? Just making sure

Last edited:
When you watch the video, you think it is due to sun light? Or just poor video quality? Just making sure
Youtube is only letting me see it in 240P - very low resolution, so can't really judge the overall quality. All I can tell is it's horribly overexposed.
I was hoping newer firmware might do a better job without having to change settings. If you've updated it, try another test shoot and see how it goes.

I don't see why any modern dash cam would have a problem in strong daylight. Reflections or glare, yes. But not overexposure of the whole image.

Youtube is only letting me see it in 240P - very low resolution, so can't really judge the overall quality. All I can tell is it's horribly overexposed.
I was hoping newer firmware might do a better job without having to change settings. If you've updated it, try another test shoot and see how it goes.

I don't see why any modern dash cam would have a problem in strong daylight. Reflections or glare, yes. But not overexposure of the whole image.
I contacted them and they asked me to set it to default and then see! Won't going back to default means losing th new firmware I updated recently?

I contacted them and they asked me to set it to default and then see! Won't going back to default means losing th new firmware I updated recently?
No, just go into System Setup, Default (Reset all options to the default settings.)
The manual mentions a reset slot below the USB charging port. Use that too. You might need a pin or tiny screwdriver to push the button.
After that do some tests and see how it goes.

its seems to be best if you upgrade to a new firmware to rest the settings to defaults due to firmware changes and settings. resetting firmware does not downgrade firmware. it just resets the settings.

@USDashCamera has reviewed this cam, Maybe he knows how to sort it?

I don't think you can learn much from reviews because most reviews are all mostly about how they performed on day one. Even I posted 5 star revie after one week because I liked the look , design and video quality of it. I didn't have the over exposure issue until few weeks .

Perhaps it has overheated and damaged the sensor :-(
Does it work okay when there is no direct sun?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Yours is not working right. Here is mine from my new anker roav.

Yours is not working right. Here is mine from my new anker roav.

You meant to show your's is recording fine? How long have you been using the Anker Rroav cam? Mine was working fine like yours for few weeks, then quality went bad, overexposed in day light. I went to default in the menu and hit Okay and then the recording was back to normal like before. By the way, you guys in Texas can carry fire arms almost anywhere right? have to hide to not be seen by others?

They have 2 ways, not sure how it is in the 1 star state, but here are:

Open carry ( what i like ) Man i would like to carry a 6 shooter on my hip,,,,, i have tried once in my wild youth ( not in public off course as that would just freak out Danes ) and i looked damn good like that :)
Concealed carry ( what i also like )

what i cant do,,,,,, just about most things i would like to do,,,,,, so born in the wrong place :rolleyes: and if you ask my friend i am born in the wrong time too.

I would not disagree as i often say i am born at least 200 years too late and at least 1000 Km too far north due to me liking hot wether.

Back