Videos : Mobius C2 Lens vs D Lens (Rear)

Harsh

Reaction score
Country
India
Top - Mobius (C2 Lens) - (F.W V. 2.41) - 1080p @ 30 FPS, WDR - On, Lens profile - C

Bottom - Mobius (D Lens) - (F.W V. 2.41) - 1080p @ 30 FPS, WDR - On, Lens profile - C

Night.

Market

Intermittent streetlights

Varying lighting

Other than the FOV, not much difference. Flaring from tailing headlights also looks identical.

If anyone's thinking of replacing their A2 camera's lens module with the C2 lens module, don't bother, it doesn't fit.

A2 lens camera - C2 lens module doesn't fit, D lens module fits.
C2 lens camera - D lens module fits.

So currently my A2 camera houses the D lens module and the C2 lens module is back in its original housing.

The D lens module sticks out a lot less when fitted in the A2's housing.

IMAG0442.jpg

Individual C2 lens videos (rear) - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-actioncam-rear-dashcam.21778/#post-317519

Individual D lens videos (rear) - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/videos-mobius-d-lens-rear.28394/

Here are some from the A2 lens (front) - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/videos-mobius-a2-lens.28408/

Last edited:
Other than the FOV, not much difference. Flaring from tailing headlights also looks identical.

You're right about the FOV in the D lens, it's a slightly longer lens that looks perhaps 5-6% narrower in angle of view.

The main thing I see in the D lens is that it is seems much better corrected for barrel distortion.

It would be hard to notice in a setting like this but the defroster elements embedded in your rear window are a very helpful tool here.

Notice how the green line I drew across this screen grab compares to the apparent curve in the same heater element in your images from each lens. The D lens is almost perfectly straight in comparison with the C2.

The greater barrel distortion correction is similar to the difference between the A lens and the A2 lens which I think is the whole point of these new lenses.

D_lens.jpg

Last edited:
The difference in the defogger lines is the first thing I'd noticed. There's indeed quite a difference, the D lens's FOV looks very much like what I'd seen from the A119S.

In the absence streetlights, the D lens's f/2.66 looks a little better, but at the expense of additional noise.

I guess since you hadn't mentioned the distortion correction and said there wasn't much difference other than the FOV I wasn't sure if you had noticed it. It seems to be the main feature.

What is it that doesn't fit the case with the different modules? Is it lens barrel diameter or length?...or does the module base not quite fit the slot?

My comment was in regard to only the video quality. Frankly, though right in front, didn't occur to mention about the distortion correction.

The C2 lens module is thicker, doesn't fit into the slot that holds the module inside the A2's housing.

Last edited:
My comment was in regard to only the video quality. Frankly, though right in front, didn't occur to mention about the distortion correction.

The D lens module is thicker, doesn't fit into the slot that holds the module inside the A2's housing.

Thanks for the explanation.

I think the fact that some of these lenses don't fit in certain housing versions is going to create problems and confusion for some customers, especially if they find out only after purchasing. I have to say that I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with the fact that Mobius often provides so little information to a loyal fan base and leaves everything up to us to figure out regarding what works and what doesn't. I haven't made much progress asking direct, specific questions either, sometimes repeatedly. I'm trying to be patient.

Was a little frustrating to find out that the C2 lens module couldn't be seated in the A2's housing. If I didn't have the original C2 housing to go back to, I would've been stuck till I could've gotten my hands on a compatible housing. Mobius should include a compatible housing with each lens module shipped, they're hardly a buck or two.

I hope you get a reply, otherwise what's the point..

As there was a slight variation in the mounting angle because of two different mounts being used, redid the mounting. Both cameras now are mounted using identical 15° FPV tilt mounts and are mounted right next each other.

Evening

As the C2's mounting angle was flawed in the videos from last night, will redo and post them in a day or two.

@Dashmellow The defogger lines look quite similar after the remounting.

Last edited:
I see a slight improvement in the D lens ability to "see" darker objects in the less-lit areas. It's not a lot but it's there ;) Look at people on the sidewalks- when they disappear with the "C2" kens you can still see them for a little bit longer with the "D" lens :)

Very good to know the housing differences- it would be aggravating to find a new lens doesn't fit.
Very bad that Mobius seems to no longer want high-grade user-input anymore.

Phil

Late afternoon

Evening

Tailing headlights

Intermittent lighting and bit of the market

Thanks @harsh :)
I'm still seeing the "D" lens as noticeably better. I don't feel a loss in not having it right now, but it will be in my future.

Phil

And even with the re-aiming, while not perfect, the D lens still seems better corrected to me for barrel distortion.

D_lens.jpg

And even with the re-aiming, while not perfect, the D lens still seems better corrected to me for barrel distortion.

View attachment 30436

Yup, it's far from perfect. Have been meaning to redo the old mount holding the C2 for a while but it got put off for the longest time as my phone was unable to connect to the Android app due to the lint blobs around the phone's micro USB port. Not to mention the task of getting the old VHB tape off a panel that doesn't have clear coat, with vigorous scrubbing using a microfibre and WD-40, it easily takes 15-20 minutes. Have it already planned on the weekend.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the lower level of distortion the end result of just using a narrower FOV lens?

Please do correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the lower level of distortion the end result of just using a narrower FOV lens?

Yeah, perhaps, but all in all, the D lens does seem better corrected. To be honest I'm not sure what the whole exercise is all about but I guess it is a testament to the dedication of the Mobius developer compared to other developers who would have simply abandoned the Mobius 1 by now. Despite my misgivings about the M2 I'm still a big fan of what the Mobius guys are up to.

Yeah, perhaps, but all in all, the D lens does seem better corrected. To be honest I'm not sure what the whole exercise is all about but I guess it is a testament to the dedication of the Mobius developer compared to other developers who would have simply abandoned the Mobius 1 by now. Despite my misgivings about the M2 I'm still a big fan of what the Mobius guys are up to.

it's quite possible the lenses are being evaluated for use in another model, getting them out in your current user base is a lot quicker way to get feedback about which is the more suitable choice, and it's good for existing model customers that are looking for improvements

Back