Viewing/copying dashcam footage from/to your Android phone

JagMan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a Viofo A119S v2 with GPS module. I hate popping out the SD card or unmounting the dash cam in order to see footage. I really like this dashcam. Only thing missing is wifi file transfer capability.

I've used OTG cables before to connect my phone to my DSLR's to transfer photos directly from camera to phone. So out of curiosity, I attached my OTG cable to the USB cable that the dashcam came with to connect my android phone to the dashcam, and voila...I can view and copy directly from dashcam to phone. This opens up other possibilities:
1) Immediate access to footage
2) Upload to cloud
3) Backup/recovery
Etc...

Pretty confident that this will work for other dashcam makes/models as well.

For those curious, this is the OTG cable I'm using: https://www.ebay.com/itm/172842717829

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

I love this - one of the many reasons I switched to Android was USB OTG - a feature that's under-appreciated, IMHO. In fact, it's why I keep a spare USB cable and OTG adapter in my Jeep.

I'm still rocking a Samsung Note 3 - it works great with my Rexing V1.

Do I need to have a cable to watch or download videos from A119s to my Android phone. How this app actually works? So far I use apps with wifi dashcams.:(:cool:

Do I need to have a cable to watch or download videos from A119s to my Android phone. How this app actually works? So far I use apps with wifi dashcams.:(:cool:

memory card into an OTG card reader and you can watch the files using the app and get map info also if it's a GPS model

Last edited:
memory card into an OTG card reader and you can watch the files using the app and get map into also if it's a GPS model
Thank you @jokiin I must buy an OTG card reader in short notice.

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk

memory card into an OTG card reader and you can watch the files using the app and get map into also if it's a GPS model

"Memory card into an OTG card reader" I've been doing that with my Mobius on my Nexus 5 (Marshmellow) and LG G5 (Nougat) without apps. Why does the Viofo need an app?

I’m jealous, I have an IPhone.
This is what I use...it has an app
https://www.ebay.com/itm/272281443995
Used to the other day to see if I shut my garage door...love it.

I also recommend this other device:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01LR4HJHO
61llZYO4NML._SL1000_.jpg

handy thing to have, that's one of the reasons we include them with our cameras
Yes, I agree an otg card reader is useful and I always have one in the car. Though as the OP pointed out, frequently taking out and re-inserting the microSD card can be a pain, and risks launching or losing the card. So an otg cable connecting your phone to the PC end of the USB cable can be just as useful and keeps the tiny card safe in the camera.

So an otg cable connecting your phone to the PC end of the USB cable can be just as useful and keeps the tiny card safe in the camera.

works on some models, not on others, not something I'd generally suggest doing on cameras that don't have internal batteries as the power draw may exceed what the phone supports unless the manufacturer mentions it as a supported function

works on some models, not on others, not something I'd generally suggest doing on cameras that don't have internal batteries as the power draw may exceed what the phone supports unless the manufacturer mentions it as a supported function
Yes, that's a good point about power draw.

Back