Viewing ts. files

chuckh007

Reaction score
Country
United States
Simple question......can the police or law enforcement able to read or view the ts, files the B4K produce ? Wife says YES and I say they need an App like VLC etc. Actually I am finding it hard to convert the ts. files to mp4 files and I know there are apps out there that say they can. My VLC app will convert but I only get 3 sec for a 3 min ts file, What am I doing wrong ?

Recommend you this FFmpeg tool, it should work!

I've read that files for evidence cannot be altered in any way so converting them may render them useless for prosecution.

I've read that files for evidence cannot be altered in any way so converting them may render them useless for prosecution.
It's going to depend on which country/state you are in, but for UK, the police definitely want unaltered files, doesn't mean that altered ones are useless, but unaltered is what you want. For USA, seems to depend on where you are.

The .TS files contain standard H264 video, so it is not difficult to play, and any police force should have the ability to play it, many common video players will play it without issue.

It can also be converted into .mp4 without altering the video data in any way, it is just a different file extension and "header", so the police requirement for original files is arguably not an issue.

ffmpeg is a good way to convert it, I think Blueskysea explain how to do that on their website, alternatively you can use a tool that uses ffmpeg and makes the job simple, such as HandBrake.

It's going to depend on which country/state you are in, but for UK, the police definitely want unaltered files, doesn't mean that altered ones are useless, but unaltered is what you want. For USA, seems to depend on where you are.

That's not quite how it works. In the U.S. it would depend more on the nature of the case at hand. For example, if you are involved in a major car accident where there are serious injuries, a fatality or perhaps significant property damage, the footage would require forensic analyses and legal scrutiny and thus the court would require original unaltered files. If you are involved in a minor fender bender where the cause of the accident is obvious, a file submitted to an insurance company that was converted from one format to another to facilitate viewing would probably be deemed acceptable. Then again, if the same fender bender resulted in a lawsuit, the lawyers for the individual parties involved may well demand the original unaltered footage.
The original, unconverted file should always remain available if needed.

Having a camera that can provide high quality original files that are easy for anyone to view without alteration or conversion is always the preferred approach.

I prefer and use the .MP4 'closed container' files than the .TS but each to their own.

I've never had a single problem so far.

I prefer and use the .MP4 'closed container' files than the .TS but each to their own.

I've never had a single problem so far.
But that is not a choice given by the camera.

Back