Vignetting on A119s with CPL filter

bornokjudak

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Has anyone had vignetting with A119s when used with CPL filter? It's my first time setup and used but when I reviewed the recordings, I noticed vignetting on upper left corner of the videos. Hoping someone already had experienced this and if there has been fixed? Or I just had a bad CPL filter that should be replaced/returned?

I have the same exactly problem, but at the right corner. I contacted VIOFO, they are sending me a new version of the CPL filter that was released this week.

Thank you all for your comments. I had a second look at the recorded videos, and mine has a little vignetting on the upper-right corner as well, but not as noticeable on upper-left corner. Well I may need to contact SPYTEC amazon as well.

I agree. Confusing and frustrating for those who bough the old filter for cameras with the new lens. V3 or not, let's leave it up to them, definitely should be mentioned though.

Last edited:
They must have change the lens as compared to other videos I'm looking at Youtube, mine has a very obvious fish eye effect. And I can't read license plate with 1-2 cars away even when parked. I needs to be right in front to be able to read. :(

I also noticed the fish eye effect...
When you watch the YouTube samples, don't forget that most of them were taken in Europe. The licence plates there had larger symbols then Canadian plates (at least then Ontario plates). The ability to read licence plates depends on many factors, like speed, light location and intensity, clear windshield, adjusted CPL filter. I found that using custom firmware with increased bitrate and reduced sharpness makes the video more clear.
Best results I got when there was no sun in the skies, rainy or shadows. I use default settings and filter.

yours are better. looking at your last video, where another crv go pass on your left, I can even read the license plate between 10s to 11s of the video. Mine, it needs to be in full stop and right in front of my bumper. And the colors of your recording is so much better than mine, I had rotated my CPL filter based on what I saw in youtube, but still the same result. I was waiting for the part where you are parking @ walmart to see/compare how clear it was for you, but it was cut right before you stopped ^_^.

Still noob with this dash cam thing. Where do we find custom firmware for a119s?

Another thing I have noticed, when I drive under trees (no difference if it's sunny or not) I get less readable plates.
On highways I get more readable plates.

Just an update, Flashed mine with 20 folder as suggested and it looks way better than stock 2.4 recorded yesterday. I can read street names now and able to read plates. Current settings ev=0 and wdr=on. Will try 15 tomorrow.

Turn off the WDR, it affects the details in a bad way.

I flashed the custom firmware (first using 15, then 20) and noticed that my cam now sometimes stops recording randomly. I have to manually turn the cam off and back on with the power button for it to resume recording.

Did anyone else have the same problem?

I was previously running the stock v2.4 firmware from Viofo with no problems at all.

I flashed the custom firmware (first using 15, then 20) and noticed that my cam now sometimes stops recording randomly. I have to manually turn the cam off and back on with the power button for it to resume recording.

Did anyone else have the same problem?

I was previously running the stock v2.4 firmware from Viofo with no problems at all.

I think the firmware doesn't work good when the parking mode turned on. The high bitrate causing some issues. I never used it, so can't tell more.

I think the firmware doesn't work good when the parking mode turned on. The high bitrate causing some issues. I never used it, so can't tell more.

Now that you mention it, I did notice that it stops recording most of the time when I open the door after being parking for over 15 minutes. Other times it just happens randomly even when driving down a smooth road.

Hopefully a more stable version is released as the fine tuning for the video helped make Ontario plates much more readable. Thanks for your insights.

Is there a list in English indicating the changes for each version?

I don't think so. As far as I remember, the changes were only in the bitrate.
Some of them allowed to change the bitrate by selecting different resolutions (it was still FHD, even if you select lower resolution in the menu, but different bitrates).

Now that you mention it, I did notice that it stops recording most of the time when I open the door after being parking for over 15 minutes. Other times it just happens randomly even when driving down a smooth road.

Same here. It happens only when parking mode is activated.

Back