Vintage 1956 "dash cam" footage of Hollywood, Los Angeles, California

Watch for the Brown Derby at the very beginning and Musso & Frank at :52. You can also see James Dean on the marquee at :49.
This footage was shot 65 years ago!

IQ is a bit off, image lacks contrast and colors are not realistic. Picture quality is a bit soft. License plates are not readable.

Good part is that, it doesn't seem to have double or dropped frame issues, no dashboard reflections at all and people seem to look friendlier and prettier ;)

Quite a few "sleds" in that clip i could see myself drive, some end of 40ties cars are actually pretty nice too.

Here is a lengthier, more complete version of the above footage. Lots more interesting cars and sights to see along Hollywood Boulevard. This one claims to be from 1957 on the YouTube title but 1953 in the title plate on the film itself, and the above version claims to be from 1956. The correct answer seems to be 1957 as there is what appears to be a 1957 Cadillac Eldorado captured in the footage.

caddy.jpg

Last edited:
A few scary moments with pedestrians. Looks like folks needed a dashcam even back in those days.

Was the camera hanging out the driver's side window?

A few scary moments with pedestrians. Looks like folks needed a dashcam even back in those days.

Was the camera hanging out the driver's side window?

I don't know how or where the camera was mounted but it more or less seems pretty centered in the frame.

I like the dust-up with the baby blue Thunderbird that cut in front of the camera near the end of the clip (3:40) . It seems like a classic piece of selfish bad driver footage a modern dash cam user would post.

thunderbird.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know how or where the camera was mounted but it more or less seems pretty centered in the frame.
It seemed far over to the left at about 2:25. But yes, fairly central for the rest of it. Great to watch (y)

Sweet T- bird :cool: though i would probably slap another color on mine. ( with respect to the heritage of course, no fancy stuff )

Sweet T- bird :cool: though i would probably slap another color on mine. ( with respect to the heritage of course, no fancy stuff )
That was a popular color in those days that is now considered classic to the original T-bird. It is called Starmist Blue. The one in the video appears to be an original 1955 model which was when the T-bird was first introduced.

Within two years it evolved into the iconic 1957 model with the more aggressive grill, larger front bumper, the larger tail fins and the classic rear wheel skirts as seen below.

1957tbird.jpg

Another very popular color was Spring Mist Green.

thunderbird1957willowgreen.jpg

They also offered Willow Green.
willow.jpg

You can catch a glimpse of a white 1956 T-Bird coming down Hollywood Boulevard in the second video at 1:27.

whitetb.jpg

The T-Bird sports car was truly a breakthrough in American post war automotive design and engineering that captured the spirit and optimism of the day; one that corresponded to the building of the U.S. interstate highway system under the Eisenhower administration with the passing of the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956. One of the very first highways to be built under the act was the legendary Route 66. (also known as the Will Rogers Memorial Highway)

Love the white on white paint job, white side wall tires and the red interior. :love:
classicwhitetbird.jpg

Interestingly, in 2001 Ford revived the concept in an eleventh generation T-bird designed to evoke the spirit of the original first generation from 1955/1957.
It too was a convertible with a removable fiberglass hard shell top. It was sold between 2001 and 2005.

tbird01.jpeg

They even gave a nod to the original colors.

2001.jpg

Last edited:
This one claims to be from 1957 on the YouTube title but 1953 in the title plate on the film itself, and the above version claims to be from 1956. The correct answer seems to be 1957 as there is what appears to be a 1957 Cadillac Eldorado captured in the footage.
I would tend to agree on 1957, or at least very late 1956. In addition to the Cadillac there are a number of 1957 Chevys recorded as well. Very easy to identify as there's quite a bit of difference from the '56.

I would tend to agree on 1957, or at least very late 1956. In addition to the Cadillac there are a number of 1957 Chevys recorded as well. Very easy to identify as there's quite a bit of difference from the '56.

Yes, there are quite a few examples. There are also some great examples of earlier cars and trucks going back to the forties. The whole video is a veritable feast of vintage cars, long lost architectural examples, clothing styles, signage, etc. Something about the video almost feels like time traveling. :)

Last edited:
Some of these colours are reappearing these days. Mostly battleship grey or variations of. But I have seen the odd expensive car or pauper car, not many keeping up with the Jones cars, hard to tell the difference! With questionable flat dead colour.

Some of these colours are reappearing these days. Mostly battleship grey or variations of. But I have seen the odd expensive car or pauper car, not many keeping up with the Jones cars, hard to tell the difference! With questionable flat dead colour.

Yeah, I've noticed that too, especially on Subarus and certain Toyota trucks. Some of the Subaru flat colors are quite intense actually, like oranges and intense light blue and such but some of the flat Toyota colors are very drab, like faded olive brown military khaki.

Edit: Apparently, this color is called "lunar rock".
2021-Toyota-Tacoma-Lunar-Rock_o.jpg

Last edited:
well the 57 Bel air is nice, but as i like to be different i will have to look elsewhere, and really this period not hard to find some cool US steel to wheel.

BTW just a FYI i just learned too. Copenhagen was once named the Detroit of Scandinavia / the north, due to cars getting exported to here was in crates and so was assembled here.

Yeah, you're right about the 1950s as a classic period of American car design and engineering. There are almost too many to name but the one that really resonates for me was the original 1953 Chevy Corvette.

53corvette_a.jpg

1953-Chevrolet-Corvette-Rear.jpg

Speaking of Corvettes, what Chevy did with it 10 years later in 1963 created yet another classic. Also one of my favorite car designs of all time, especially the split window coupe with the 327 inch V-8 Overhead Valve engine. That was a huge, powerful engine for a small lightweight sports car with a fiberglass body. You could get a 360 HP fuel injected version of the engine for that thing! It came with a warning buzzer for the tachometer!

1963corvette_a.jpg

63.jpg

63_b.jpg

Last edited:
I am big on C1 and C3 vettes, the C2 i have to work on though still tipping my hat to the 63 stingray CUZ otherwise i would of course not be able to call my self a gear head.
The newer ones i cant figure out, but i do know they are in a whole other handling class VS the old ones, so maybe have a C3 body on a C8 frame.

Not that i am going to race a vintage vette, god forbid i killed it, that would be blasphemy.

I do so very much appreciate that Buick later on adopted that sexy boat tail on the later Rivieras, making them some of my favorite 2 door almost boat sized US cars.

Here's some fascinating "Rear Facing Dash Cam" footage of 1940's California (60fps remastered - coloroized)

More amazing vintage cars back when they were brand new!

More "rear dash cam" footage from the 1940's (remastered, stabilized, colorized, 60 fps, sound added)

Last edited:
"the 1908 Model T was the first of Ford's cars to feature a left-side driving position."
You would think that by the 1940s, drivers would have learned to drive on the right side of the road!

You would think by now, Nigel, you would have learned to stop your petty trolling, especially with such a tired old trope like this one that you dwell on repeatedly here on DCT. Why is it that you find everything that is different than your own provincial experience in the UK to be loathsome and terrifying?

Back