VIOFO А119V3 FIRMWARE

Here on DCT it's always interesting hearing about (and seeing) people's driving habits in different countries and cultures. I can't say I agree with your approach to driving in your city but if it works for you then that's what matters I suppose.

I grew up and learned to drive in New York City, so I know what it is like to drive in a busy, crowded city like you describe. The drivers there can be especially aggressive. I always found it best to pay attention in crowded traffic and at red lights too.! All kinds of crazy things happen when you least expect them to. The laws expect you to pay attention as well. Driving while using a cell phone, (even at a traffic light) is illegal in New York City just the same as it is in the rural area I live in now.

The fine for the first offense in NYC can be $150.00, second offense $250.00 and a third offense within 18 months will cost you as much as $450 - plus surcharges! - plus points on your license!

Edit: Many years ago, when I moved to the new rural location in the state I live in now I was required to take a driving test to get a new license. When I went to take the test I showed my old NYC driver's license to the guy at the DMV and when he saw that I was from New York City and heard that I'd been driving there for many years and that I had even learned to drive there he said, "You don't need a test" and he signed my paperwork and sent me on my way! :)
Very interesting, but with no offense I recommend a blog for sharing you experience. This thread is about firmware…

Very interesting, but with no offense I recommend a blog for sharing you experience. This thread is about firmware…

Thanks, but having been a member here for eight years now with thousands of posts under my belt I can tell you that it is fairly common for members to wander a bit off topic now and again and it is generally not a problem for most people unless it completely derails the thread. It is usually a fairly relaxed, informal sort of forum compared to some others I've been involved with. In this case, I was responding to a member who wanted a firmware feature to help him pay attention to traffic in a crowded city, something I didn't happen to agree with but I shared with him that I understand what driving in such a city is like. At one time I lived in Munich too, BTW. :)

Just got a V119 V3 that shipped with firmware version 2.2 (Build: 20201207). I have some questions on this version of the firmware and other versions.

First, I've been searching thru threads there, and I don't see any mention of a 2.2 firmware. Discussion of firmwares seems to have jumped from 2.1 to 2.3. I'm wondering what specifically is different about version 2.2 vs 2.1/2.3?

Second, I understand that version 2.4 is the latest official Viofo firmware (https://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000101427-viofo-a119-v3-dash-camera-firmware). But I'm not clear what's the difference between version 2.4 and 2.3. According to the Viofo page, the change for 2.4 is "Added 2560 x 1080P 60fps resolution". But at a Viofo retailer's site (https://www.captureyouraction.com/pages/viofo-a119-v3-firmware), the latest firmware listed is 2.3, which says "Added 2560 x 1080P 60fps resolution". So are versions 2.3 and 2.4 really the same, and if not, what are the differences between these?

It seems Viofo doesn't maintain a changelog page of all the different versions and doesn't make past firmware versions easy to find. Is there such a page maintained elsewhere?

Just got a V119 V3 that shipped with firmware version 2.2 (Build: 20201207). I have some questions on this version of the firmware and other versions.

First, I've been searching thru threads there, and I don't see any mention of a 2.2 firmware. Discussion of firmwares seems to have jumped from 2.1 to 2.3. I'm wondering what specifically is different about version 2.2 vs 2.1/2.3?

Second, I understand that version 2.4 is the latest official Viofo firmware (https://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000101427-viofo-a119-v3-dash-camera-firmware). But I'm not clear what's the difference between version 2.4 and 2.3. According to the Viofo page, the change for 2.4 is "Added 2560 x 1080P 60fps resolution". But at a Viofo retailer's site (https://www.captureyouraction.com/pages/viofo-a119-v3-firmware), the latest firmware listed is 2.3, which says "Added 2560 x 1080P 60fps resolution". So are versions 2.3 and 2.4 really the same, and if not, what are the differences between these?

It seems Viofo doesn't maintain a changelog page of all the different versions and doesn't make past firmware versions easy to find. Is there such a page maintained elsewhere?
I update my page as Viofo updates their page. I never updated it to V2.4 as I wanted to get clarification on why the change log didn't change between version, but never got around to it. I am assuming that they just forgot to change the change log.

I update my page as Viofo updates their page. I never updated it to V2.4 as I wanted to get clarification on why the change log didn't change between version, but never got around to it. I am assuming that they just forgot to change the change log.

I see. So one day before, the only thing Viofo changed on their page was to replace 2.3 with 2.4.

Does this mean that they also never publicly released version 2.2 since it's not listed on your page, even though it ships with some dashcams? I can confirm that 2.2 is not the same as 2.3 or 2.4 as my 2.2 dashcam doesn't have the 2560 x 1080P 60fps resolution option that comes with 2.3/2.4.

Does this mean that they also never publicly released version 2.2 since it's not listed on your page, even though it ships with some dashcams? I can confirm that 2.2 is not the same as 2.3 or 2.4 as my 2.2 dashcam doesn't have the 2560 x 1080P 60fps resolution option that comes with 2.3/2.4.
There were 2 revisions of firmware 2.2.
Firmware 2.2 from 17/12/2020 added 2560 x 1080P 30fps resolution.
The sound has been improved in firmware 2.2 dated 23/12/2020.
Firmware 2.3 from 25/01/2021 added 2560 x 1080P 60fps.

Last edited:
There were 2 revisions of firmware 2.2.
Firmware 2.2 from 17/12/2020 added 2560 x 1080P 30fps resolution.
The sound has been improved in firmware 2.2 dated 23/12/2020.
Firmware 2.3 from 25/01/2021 added 2560 x 1080P 60fps.

Thanks for that info. Is there a typo in one of your dates? The 2.2 version I have has a build of 20201207, which doesn't match any of the dates you mentioned.

I'm wondering though where you got the version 2.2 firmware info from. I couldn't find any mention of a version 2.2 firmware in the main A119 V3 thread (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a119-v3.39023/). In this current thread, I did find a couple posts by @Mtz that 2.2 was not official yet (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-А119v3-firmware.39515/post-533104) and that 2.2 had a menu settings issue (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-А119v3-firmware.39515/page-4#post-539187). I'm wondering now if 2.2 wasn't officially released (maybe it was only given to some beta testers) because of issues found with it so maybe Viofo decided to skip it and go directly to 2.3 from 2.1?

But some things still don't add up. First, if 2.2 was never officially released, why is it installed on the new dashcam I have that was just purchased from an authorized Viofo retailer?

Second, on my dashcam, there is no resolution option for 2560 x 1080P 30fps. So this doesn't line up with the info you provided. The other thing is that I don't have the menu settings issue mentioned by @Mtz from their prior post (on firmware 2.2 from 10.29). If I try to turn on HDR, then the 2560 x 1440 60fps option goes away. Even if I had the 2560 x 1440 60fps resolution previously selected, after turning on HDR, it gets changed to 2560 x 1080 30fps. So there is no way to set the dashcam to have 2560 x 1080 60fps with HDR turned on (which is good since this isn't a valid setting).

Asking all these questions because I was thinking I should have a way to restore the original firmware the dashcam came with in case I changed the firmware and wanted to go back to the original. So I started to hunt for the version 2.2 firmware and couldn't find it. It's a mystery that maybe I'm spending too much time on, but kind of nagging at me to find out the history on this.

Thanks for that info. Is there a typo in one of your dates? The 2.2 version I have has a build of 20201207, which doesn't match any of the dates you mentioned.
17/12/2020. It is this date that is indicated in the firmware that I have.
FWA119V3_V2.2_20201217

Attachments

• 2021-06-27 at 13.13.34.jpeg
    2021-06-27 at 13.13.34.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 2021-06-27 at 13.14.29.jpeg
    2021-06-27 at 13.14.29.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I see. So one day before, the only thing Viofo changed on their page was to replace 2.3 with 2.4.

Fairly common for Viofo to make a small change in the firmware, release it for new cameras, but not update the website to it. My guess is they wait for a few small change to add up or one bigger update, before they place it on their firmware download page. Otherwise, you could be updating firmware constantly.

or not, as in my case.

I upgraded each time from 1.3 to 2.0 after waiting for user reports and the changelog.

I started reading about sound and flickering issues after 2.0 so I held off. Given that 2.0 is working perfectly I'll avoid the temptation :)

Updates always bring improvements. Flickering appeared only after the implementation of HDR "at the request of users". Until Sony officially implements HDR for this sensor, flickering will not disappear if HDR is used. No software update from Viofo will be able to solve the problem, only Sony will eventually be able to. Do not use HDR and you will not have flickering.
And as a general rule, test the new firmware yourself. This is the only way you will be able to see if there are any improvements or not. But, they will definitely be, otherwise Viofo would not bother to offer them as an update.

HDR involve 60FPS
Did you know that?

17/12/2020. It is this date that is indicated in the firmware that I have.
FWA119V3_V2.2_20201217

Hmm, there must be at least a 3rd variant of the 2.2 firmware then because I don't have 2560 x 1080P 30fps on mine that has a Build of 20201207. See attached photos.

Attachments

• IMG_1002.JPG
    IMG_1002.JPG
    510.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1003.JPG
    IMG_1003.JPG
    395.4 KB · Views: 9
Fairly common for Viofo to make a small change in the firmware, release it for new cameras, but not update the website to it. My guess is they wait for a few small change to add up or one bigger update, before they place it on their firmware download page. Otherwise, you could be updating firmware constantly.

Ok, anyways, thanks for maintaining the firmware history pages for this and other Viofo dashcams. It's a great service to the community, but Viofo should really be doing this instead of only having the latest firmware version on their pages.

Yes, with almost the same bad results in low light conditions.
Instead, HDR guarantees poor results also in good light conditions.
30 FPS without HDR offers an excellent image in all conditions

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back