VIOFO А119V3 FIRMWARE

Here's v2.6T with the .bin extension from the PDA site with photos

Thanks.

Just took it 2.6T for a quick test around the suburb.

I like the speed sign voice notification, I notice it doesn't repeat the same speed if the speed sign is the same, it only notifies you when there is a change up or down, nice.

There are no stop lights in my area so I was unable to test the "stop/start" light notification.

My initial setting where using HDR "on", but I noticed that there was noticeable blurring of licence plates, so I've changed to HDR "off" and will test again tomorrow.

Did a very quick test, still not happy with sharpness of licence plates using 30fps 1440p, so going to test 60fps 1440p tomorrow.

There are no stop lights in my area so I was unable to test the "stop/start" light notification.
It is not about stop lights, it is about the movement from the cars from the front of your car. When the stopped cars from the front of your car will start to move, the camera will beep twice.

enjoy,
Mtz

It is not about stop lights, it is about the movement from the cars from the front of your car. When the stopped cars from the front of your car will start to move, the camera will beep twice.

enjoy,
Mtz
Oh, okay, thanks.

It's a shame there are no release notes. Cheers

The black bars are not added.
The image is cropped.
If black bars were added the the AR should remain 16:9 and not 21:9. If you will analyze the original video from the Youtube description you will see that I am right.
So your theory about black bars influencing the exposure is not right. Also the exposure should not be affected (in theory) because the cropping is made at the same level from the top and from the bottom. But maybe in reality, cropping a 16:9 image to 21:9 is affecting also the exposure table. This needs more testing and reports. Personally I didn't observed any major difference from 16:9 to 21:9 exposure, but I will look closely.

enjoy,
Mtz

I think what they are saying is that the auto-exposure is based on the full-frame image before the cropping is done. I'm not sure exactly how the camera interfaces with the CMOS sensor, but I would hope that the sensor has a function that allows only a subset of the pixels to be read out.

Spot on. I didn't word my findings very well.

There seems to be a point whereby, if you point too high into the sky, the footage dims, quite a lot.

Under letterbox mode that area of excess sky was within the top black bar so hidden.

The difference between my old car windscreen top angle and my new car was sufficient to put too much sky into the equation.

The obvious solution is to click down to the next ratchet position, but when I did that I was showing no sky and it looked wrong. When I switched back to 4:3 the amount of sky was right, but at the expense of more dashboard.

I would try setting it for the best view and then make a correction to the exposure so that the footage is at the preferred level of brightness.

Would it work to change the firmware so that you get a higher bit rate such as 40mb/s instead of 30 mb/s. So basically an additional bit rate option "very high" for fast memory cards?

No problem from any card from the market with any Bitrate from any dashcam.
So a fast card is not needed for any dashcam.

enjoy,
Mtz

Would it work to change the firmware so that you get a higher bit rate such as 40mb/s instead of 30 mb/s. So basically an additional bit rate option "very high" for fast memory cards?
I can bet a fair amount of money that you wouldn't be able to tell the visual difference between 30 and 40 Mbps for the real road footage, including the number plate readability. I have used quite a few mods where the bitrate was set to 50, and the improvement was imaginary. But what's real is the 25% faster card wearout due to the larger filesize. Also, in those mods I tried, the higher bitrate screwed up the correct operation of the dashcam in parking mode, for some reason. Could be just a bug in those particular mods, but could be something more fundamental (at least for this particular camera model).

I can bet a fair amount of money that you wouldn't be able to tell the visual difference between 30 and 40 Mbps for the real road footage, including the number plate readability. I have used quite a few mods where the bitrate was set to 50, and the improvement was imaginary. But what's real is the 25% faster card wearout due to the larger filesize. Also, in those mods I tried, the higher bitrate screwed up the correct operation of the dashcam in parking mode, for some reason. Could be just a bug in those particular mods, but could be something more fundamental (at least for this particular camera model).

You make a good point about the diminishing returns for increasing the bit rate from 30 to 40 Mbps for this camera as well as the unnecessary increase in files size.

I've got mine setup for the best daytime footage which is mostly the default settings.

I think that stock version 1.03 was the best but the vvs mod based on 2.05 is better, especially colour rendition and the freeze frame / screen grab with little motion blur.

At night I'm finding the footage perfectly acceptable for seeing what's going on but there are going to be some compromises. This is a tiny windscreen mounted box, not a full blown Stephen Spielberg shoulder mounted broadcast quality device.

In case anyone was wondering, the 2.6T firmware's speed sign reading feature doesn't seem to work with North American speed limit signs. Tested both the 20211019 build and the one before that.

How did 1.03 cope with signs ?

How did 1.03 cope with signs
Had no problems whatsoever :), cuz it was never meant to read the speed signs ("read" here means OCR them, get the value and act on it - that's what 2.6T is supposed to do).

In case anyone was wondering, the 2.6T firmware's speed sign reading feature doesn't seem to work with North American speed limit signs. Tested both the 20211019 build and the one before that.
I think the speed sign reading feature is not working in any country and it should be removed.

Reactions: gse
I think the speed sign reading feature is not working in any country and it should be removed.
It works reasonably fine where I live, reading over 50% of signs. The ones it doesn't read is when I'm driving toward the sun (over saturation) or at night. I'm in Australia.

Hmmm

I'm wondering whether each firmware version is adding more complexity. There is another manufacturer who introduced bells and whistles and this forum is full of failures, lockups, especially the higher end models with them all included.

My opinion is that the 1.03 was the best, simplest, stock firmware. But, vvs has tweaked version 2.05 to great effect.

I've done my first journey with HDR On and as I expected it seems to be causing a slight motion blur :

C87eaCp.jpg

= HDR Off for next test.

Back