VIOFO 119s

DJH

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Have a VIOFO 119s in the wife's car. Recently when I drove her car the D/Cam was beeping and on screen message was "insert SD card" The card was in the D/Cam and apparently popped out and is now missing. Replacement card will not insert /click into place. have tried numerous times but to no avail.
Any clues as to (1) why the original card would have popped out? and (2) why the replacement card will not click into place/lock in.
D/Cam was working and recording and this only occurred after I reset the unit to daylight saving time.

UPDATE. Contacted VIFO Aust, about this problem, They have authorized a replacement unit from my original supplier, DCC, and it is currently in the postal system. Many thanks to all involved.

Last edited:
DST settings are unrelated, sounds like the card reader mechanism has failed or the latch is out of whack, you could open it up and have look

I also would say the card reader has a problem.
Either it has moved in the case or the mechanism to lock the card is broken.

Have a VIOFO 119s in the wife's car. Recently when I drove her car the D/Cam was beeping and on screen message was "insert SD card" The card was in the D/Cam and apparently popped out and is now missing. Replacement card will not insert /click into place. have tried numerous times but to no avail.
Any clues as to (1) why the original card would have popped out? and (2) why the replacement card will not click into place/lock in.
D/Cam was working and recording and this only occurred after I reset the unit to daylight saving time
Insert another memory card and note if there is spring resistance or not. Gently angle card slightly up and down as it slides into slot to determine if spring arm is present.
If the spring arm is bent, cracked, broken or missing no simple repair is possible. See if the connectors at back of slot are fine and slot is clear.
If the spring arm is felt or seen under strong light there is a trick I use to 'unstick' the spring arm.

Happens especially when inserting thin microSD-cards. The bent spring can get stuck if the top metal cover is pressed down from inside Dashcam. VIOFO likes to place the internal speaker on the micro-SD card reader and may have pressed down with too much force bending the top socket cover down causing spring to stick at back of slot.

DIY Socket Surgery - use at your own risk, delicate work ahead.
Method 1
Try inserting and removing card 10x until it clicks. Also easy to miss the card slot and push memory card inside DVR over top the reader slot due to large gap.
Verify nothing got inside slot, then use small flat tip screwdriver, insert just past plastic case but not deep into metal slot, gently twist/pry top of metal slot up to enlarge the slot a tiny amount to free the spring at back, works sometimes, unless spring is broken or stuck. To free it use a needle to gently probe under strong light. The spring is delicate, easily twisted, bent or broken.
Method 2
Some card reader slots may, instead of enlarging, require narrowing so card isn't too loose inside slot.
For that open the A119S and gently pull off the speaker, now with finger or blunt pencil end gently push center of metal microSD card reader top down so its slightly bent inward to restrict card movement in slot, trick is to know how much pressure and how much of inward bend to make, so start with very little and test with card. Once card clicks in place position Speaker back on reader cover and reassemble dashcam cover.

If you can return A119S contact Vendor or possible Warranty claim, If you have no further options and cannot use the Dashcam my "socket surgery" could save another DVR from the bin. good luck !

Last edited:
I recently discovered that my oldest card would not latch in with another cam that I wanted to use it in. Similar happened when I tried it with other cams and devices. Shortly after this, the card failed electronically. Cards, being made of plastic, probably do exhibit wear in the latching area over time and the heat of a dashcam may soften the plastic worsening the issue. This card was 4+ years old and had seen much heat, had been working well far past it's advertised usage limits, and had been used in several different cams so I have no complaint.

I have a cheap cam which does not latch the cards in securely every time unless after latching, you press it in with slight pressure- not enough to actually move the card- to see if it will stay in place. Sometimes it backs out, sometimes not, but if it passes this 'test' it will then stay in place reliably. I've begun to do this with all my cams and on rare occasion I'll see the same bahavior with all of them though none have ever lost card latching in use. These are just tiny fiddly buggars so you have to be gentle and cafeful with them. Personally I wish they'd use full-sized SD cards (or something better) but I can live with these- they do the job and help keep our cameras as small as possible.

Phil

Back