Viofo 3 Wire ACC hk3 Hardwire Kit, USB cable is shieleded?

Vitamins

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Regarding the 3 Wire ACC hk3 Hardwire Kit, I would like to know if the USB part of the cable is shielded or not?

I don't know the answer, but since it is only carrying DC power, it should not matter if it is shielded or not. What matters most is that it has low resistance so that there is not too much voltage drop.

Regarding the 3 Wire ACC hk3 Hardwire Kit, I would like to know if the USB part of the cable is shielded or not?

The wires are 16 AWG. So don't use more than a 5 amp fuse. No clue if shielded. Not sure why they would need to be anyway? Are you expecting some sort of interference?

Yes, I know that theoretically it should be only DC in that cable. But, that 5V is produced by one DC/DC converter whose quality I don’t know. On the image of that type of converter I see only one electrolytic capacitor in the input circuit and one on the output circuit.

Are we sure that is enough for filtering all the signal of DC/DC chopper? I think is better to use a shielded cable in order to avoid any kind of DAB interference.

Yes, I know that theoretically it should be only DC in that cable. But, that 5V is produced by one DC/DC converter whose quality I don’t know. On the image of that type of converter I see only one electrolytic capacitor in the input circuit and one on the output circuit.

View attachment 45479

Are we sure that is enough for filtering all the signal of DC/DC chopper? I think is better to use a shielded cable in order to avoid any kind of DAB interference.

Are you experiencing interference? Not sure why the concern over shielded vs. unshielded. Is the hardwire kit causing other devices in your vehicle to receive noise?

I haven't installed anything yet. My question is for informational purposes.

View attachment 45479

That is a standard design, one good capacitor is better than 2 poor capacitors! It only needs one on each end, plus a good inductor, and it seems to have a decent one of each. I don't see any shielding on that cable, might expect the shield to be connected to ground so should be visible if it exists.

One thing that is useful is a filter the other end of the cable so that the cable can't work as an antenna broadcasting noise from the camera, and I believe it does have a ferrite core near the other end.

On most dual cameras, most of the DAB interference comes from the front to rear cable which is carrying the video signal, not the power cable. The shielding on the front to back cable is very important.

My car radio is quite sensitive to poorly converted 5V dc (I've binned what feels like dozens of USB phone chargers due to RFI).

I have no problem with interference from the hardwire kit on my A129. This is a subjective observation, I haven't performed any form of controlled testing.

Back