Viofo 3-Wire Hardwire Kit Settings?

RavenManiac

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo, mini 0806 (RIP)
I just installed a new A129 Duo a few weeks ago using this Viofo-branded hardwire kit. I know this is currently being discussed in another thread, but out of respect, I didn't want to hijack that thread. When I installed this in my 2012 Honda CR-V with a 3-year old battery I left the settings on 11.8V. Is that correct? Why would one change these settings?

Attachments

• 61mLqWYZ80L._SL1000_.jpg
    61mLqWYZ80L._SL1000_.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 25
Shouldn't be an issue at 11.8V, but would recommend you bring that up to 12.0V during colder temperatures.

This is all to save your vehicle's battery from dying with the voltage cutoff kicking in to leave enough power for the battery to jump.

Shouldn't be an issue at 11.8V, but would recommend you bring that up to 12.0V during colder temperatures.

This is all to save your vehicle's battery from dying with the voltage cutoff kicking in to leave enough power for the battery to jump.

Okay, that makes sense. I was getting a bit confused trying to keep up with the My dashcam drained my battery... thread. Thanks for your response.

Agree with @BlackboxMyCar .

I set my hardwire kit in Honda CR-V on 11.8V, but 12V is safer option.

To extend battery lifespan, I'm switching off the camera while car is parked in garage.
Viofo A129 can be switched off by pressing 1st button for few seconds. Camera will restart while engine will be started again.

To extend battery lifespan, I'm switching off the camera while car is parked in garage.
Viofo A129 can be switched off by pressing 1st button for few seconds. Camera will restart while engine will be started again.

That's good to know. Thanks!

I just installed a new A129 Duo a few weeks ago using this Viofo-branded hardwire kit. I know this is currently being discussed in another thread, but out of respect, I didn't want to hijack that thread. When I installed this in my 2012 Honda CR-V with a 3-year old battery I left the settings on 11.8V. Is that correct? Why would one change these settings?

Hi, I would recommend to set your kill switch at 12,4V. That would mean your car battery is still 80% charged when it cuts the power. 12,6-12,7 is 100% for an average healthy battery.

Yes, when you drive a petrol car, your car might still start when setting it to 11,8V (+\- 20% charge remaining) but I would not recommend it, for several reasons;

1. Depleting your battery to 20% or less seriously shortens the lifespan of the battery. These batteries were not designed to lose this much power in such a short time.
2. Electrical equipment in some car might get damaged because the starter becomes vampiric and sucks power to start the car.
3. Possibly having to use battery starter-cables to start your car, could have bad consequences for car systems, in some cases blowing fuses or frying systems.

My diesel and petrol cars could both start at 11,8V but especially the diesel was struggling a lot and fried a few systems, which resulted in expensive replacements (Airbag computer, emergency city stop systems)

The petrol only suffered minor issues with power folding mirrors, but still, very annoying (when locking or unlocking the car, only the driver mirror would fold and unfold, the passenger side only sometimes worked.

Well, I'd woud rather be safe than sorry, so perhaps I'll switch the setting from 12V to 12.4V. Thanks!

Back