Viofo A118c corrupt files

pluggit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a couple of these for my vehicles and am having the same probs on both.

I invested in good quality sd cards after reading about problems with the cheaper ones but I cant seem to get these things to record and playback properly. Loop is on 5mins and all extra functions are turned off. The card fills up with files and when played back, the last handful are unreadable. It may well be loop recording but you cant tell as the last few files are repeatedly corrupted. Im not trying any further sd cards in it as its just more money thrown away.

Is this a common problem.

No. I read it last time and there were 7 or 8 of the tail-end files that couldnt be read.

that's more likely a memory card issue, what cards are you using and where have you been buying them from?

are they the final 7 or 8 files on the card in order, or is it the last file of 7 or 8 individual journeys?

Though I haven't seen it lately, in the past we'd get an occasional user-report of a random cam which didn't record reliably with one file size yet worked correctly with another. Try going to smaller and larger file lengths and see what happens. Also what format is your card? FAT32 is what you want and cards avove 32GB have to be changed to that from EXFAT. Format in-cam after that.

Phil

Its always the last files, never ones at random. The cards are kingston 64 class 10. Im pretty sure its Fat32 but havent noticed any other option in the[camera] menu other than that. Threw the Sandisk 32,s I had away as thay were even worse - wouldnt even fill the memory up - just wouldnt record consistently. I honestly wouldnt have bothered with these damned things if I had realised how awkward they would prove to get working.

Its always the last files, never ones at random. .

if it's always the last file that is normally a sign of capacitor issues, check how the LED's behave when you disconnect power, do they go off immediately, do they stay on for about 3 to 4 seconds and then shutoff or do they slowly fade off after about 10 to 15 seconds, how they behave is going to determine where you need to look for the problem

Leds stay on for a good few seconds after switch off. Its not just the final file, it seems to record to a certain point on the card then the files come up with a read error and continue that way. The files are being created and contain data but they cant be read anymore. It says there is a...codex(think I got that right).

Leds stay on for a good few seconds after switch off. Its not just the final file, it seems to record to a certain point on the card then the files come up with a read error and continue that way. The files are being created and contain data but they cant be read anymore. It says there is a...codex(think I got that right).

sounds very much like a memory card issue

format your card in your PC and test with h2testw and see what the results are

OK will do. Whats h2testw ? Not familiar..

OK will do. Whats h2testw ? Not familiar..

program for testing memory cards, you can Google it for the link to download

asked previously but you never responded, what cards are you using and where did you buy them from?

Yep, sorry, Ebay: Kingston uhs-1 class10 64g

it seems to record to a certain point on the card then the files come up with a read error and continue that way. The files are being created and contain data but they cant be read anymore.

That's how fake memory cards behave.

Completed that h2 test, shows 14g ok and 48g bad. Looks very much like its a fake sd card. Ridiculous at £16sterling a throw. Trouble is, where is a good place to buy them from. They can be literally anywhere!!

Completed that h2 test, shows 14g ok and 48g bad. Looks very much like its a fake sd card. Ridiculous at £16sterling a throw. Trouble is, where is a good place to buy them from. They can be literally anywhere!!

Amazon, make sure it's "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon".

Untitled.png

It's a shame you got a fake card, it's a massive problem when buying online, you should have some protection for ebay at least

It really isn't worth bargain hunting for memory cards online, but the Kingston 64gb is only £20 on MyMemory's site

16GB card dressed up as a 64GB card, generally with eBay if you tell the seller you got a fake card they'll refund without question, they know full well they're fake but they expect that most buyers will use them in things like mobile phones and the majority only find out months later that they got ripped off once it's too late to do anything about it

Back