VIOFO A118C Firmware

ok then it's likely the knockoff version, they are not the same internally, there are functions in this firmware that the hardware you have can't support
OK thanks, then I will stay at the 2016 march release which is working fine for me.

Released beta firmware:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22493212/A118C/VIOFO_A118C_FW_0727_Beta.zip
Change log:
1. Added: Motion detection sensitivity
2. Added: Turkey Language
3. Added: Loop Recording Icon on screen
4. Added: Time-lapse option
5. Improved: Show "MASS Storage" directly while connected with computer
6. Improved: Press once SOS button to lock the file while in screen save mode
7. Improved: Format warning while the card is not FAT32 format
8. Improved: GPS data not accurate issue while the GPS signal is not good
9. Improved: Support 11 digits Car license number
10. Improved: Delete firmware after Upgrade
11. Changed: Change "CARDV" directory name to "DCIM"

Look forward to see the comments and advice.
Dear Viofo,
I recently installed a Viofo 118C with GPS, 64GB SDHC and so far experiencing some minor software issues. I'm not sure I'd be happy installing a Beta release, but your advice will be welcome. My firmware is A118C.20160316. My issues are:
1. PLAYBACK: Date display format is yyy/mm/dd, yet Video and Still settings are dd/mm/yyy; GPS data not present during playback.
2. RECORDING: Files split into 3 minute segments as expected, except for one file of about 1 minute. Could this have been because of a G-sensor trigger? Setting was at Medium, patches of roads here have some large potholes and undulations (have changed setting to Low but not tested)
3. STILL SETTINGS: 'Sequence' set to On, but reverts to Off after power resumes.

Last edited:
ok, that possibly relates to the timelapse function, not something we offer in ours so I can't advise on that one

date display settings are for OSD, it doesn't alter the format used for file naming, not sure if that's what you're referring to

the one minute file need more detail

GPS detail is available using Registrator Viewer, is that what you're using for playback?

the beta will be quite safe, the bulk of these changes are all copied from our firmware and it's stuff we debugged a long time ago

ok, that possibly relates to the timelapse function, not something we offer in ours so I can't advise on that one.
As I'm new on this Forum and to owning a Dashcam, I'm only just beginning to discover strange things going on with A118C firmware versions being inconsistent between different suppliers. My confusion is that my camera boots up with a red Viofo logo. Does that not indicate it's a 'genuine' camera? Have I been had?

date display settings are for OSD, it doesn't alter the format used for file naming, not sure if that's what you're referring to
My reference is to playback of the video content, whether played on camera or through an Android video player. In either case, the date displays as yyyymmdd. No big deal, I just thought it would/should be consistent to the selected settings.

the one minute file need more detail.
Im not sure about this myself, will file away for future reference if need be. Not bothered by it, just curious why an inconsistent length file in the middle of a bunch of others all the same size.

GPS detail is available using Registrator Viewer, is that what you're using for playback?
Same playback as the above point, on camera or Android player - haven't got around to Registrator yet. The GPS speed data appears on the recording screen but not on playback.

the beta will be quite safe, the bulk of these changes are all copied from our firmware and it's stuff we debugged a long time ago
Will await your further response before jumping into the new firmware.

Thanks for your prompt attention.

if you're looking at the files in a file browser the file names will be sorted by date order yyyymmddhhmm etc, that never changes, the date embedded in the video and on the LCD is altered depending on the settings selected

the GPS info needs playback software to decode, you won't see any of that when played back on the camera or Android, that's normal

the Viofo logo is correct

if you're looking at the files in a file browser the file names will be sorted by date order yyyymmddhhmm etc, that never changes, the date embedded in the video and on the LCD is altered depending on the settings selected
I may have confused you. The date display I was referring to is the date displayed on screen when playing back a video, not when looking at file names in a browser. If I'm not mistaken, the date displayed is in yyyymmdd form, as opposed to the settings form ddmmyyy. Maybe it's actually the file name being displayed, not just the date of creation. I'll check next time I use the camera and come back if that's not the case. Sorry for any confusion.

the GPS info needs playback software to decode, you won't see any of that when played back on the camera or Android, that's normal
OK, got it. Thanks

the Viofo logo is correct
I hope that means my camera is a genuine article, as far as firmware goes.

That just leaves the question about the Sequence setting being reset to Off when powered down. If my camera is the real thing, is this a firmware glitch, or an undocumented feature?

Thanks again and Cheers

I hope that means my camera is a genuine article, as far as firmware goes.

That just leaves the question about the Sequence setting being reset to Off when powered down. If my camera is the real thing, is this a firmware glitch, or an undocumented feature?

Thanks again and Cheers

if it came Viofo branded then it should be the right one, I'm not clear on what you mean about the sequence setting (not something I've used) but if it's a timelapse option or similar then I'd reasonably expect if restarted it should revert to normal dashcam functionality since that is the primary function of the product

Fair point, noted
if it came Viofo branded then it should be the right one, I'm not clear on what you mean about the sequence setting (not something I've used) but if it's a timelapse option or similar then I'd reasonably expect if restarted it should revert to normal dashcam functionality since that is the primary function of the product
Thanks

just to be clear (in case you weren't aware) you can always roll back to older firmware without issue also

just to be clear (in case you weren't aware) you can always roll back to older firmware without issue also
Hi Jokin, I've downloaded the Beta firmware and preparing to update the camera, which I understand is done by copying the bin file to the memory card and booting the camera, then deleting the bin file. I can't see (on the SDHC card) where the current installed firmware is held, in case I need to roll things back. Any clues please?

it's not stored, you can install prior versions though anytime if you want to go back to an earlier version, not sure why you would want to go back but the option is there

Silly question - I've got a recently purchased B40 camera with B40.20160311.001 firmware version. I have heard somewhere that A118 and B40 firmwares are interchangeable - is that true and I could upgrade my SW with this new one from VIOFO?

I am asking because I've noticed that my new dash cam tends to sometimes lock up in multiple reboot sequences after being on for a while - I'd hate if that kept on happening and eventually resulted in missing some important event on the road.

if it's not the Viofo version it might not be compatible, although the other version that is getting around has the same PCB the components are not the same and it may have issues running the Viofo version firmware

lockups shouldn't be happening though, could be a memory card issue

Wow, that was a quick reply - thank you jokiin.

If it is not compatible, do you know where I can check for the newest B40 firmware version then? My dash cam arrived in a cardboard box which fails to mention the name of the manufacturer...

Wow, that was a quick reply - thank you jokiin.

If it is not compatible, do you know where I can check for the newest B40 firmware version then? My dash cam arrived in a cardboard box which fails to mention the name of the manufacturer...
It is better to check the sellers, but we don't think other manufacturer like us keep improving the product and releasing new firmware, as B40/A118C is an almost 3 years old camera.

Back