VIOFO A119 Cannot switch it on

Kitbags

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I purchased a new A119 in December 2016. I also purchased a Transcend 64 GB micro SD XC class 10 card labeled 1080P full HD recording. I formatted this card on my computer.
I inquired if software had to be installed to be told it was already installed and all I had to do was insert the SD card, mount the dash cam to the windscreen, connect the supplied USB cable plug it into the supplied cigarette plug then start the motor.
I am unable to get it to power up.
Could some one help please? You will require patience as I am 76 years old and my computer skills are limited.

the card should be formatted in the camera rather than your computer, not related to your current issue but something to be aware of

do you have another USB power supply you can connect the camera to so you can see if the camera has an issue or it's the power supply you have, a USB phone charger would be a suitable power source for testing if you have one available

I purchased a new A119 in December 2016. I also purchased a Transcend 64 GB micro SD XC class 10 card labeled 1080P full HD recording. I formatted this card on my computer.
I inquired if software had to be installed to be told it was already installed and all I had to do was insert the SD card, mount the dash cam to the windscreen, connect the supplied usb cable plug it into the supplied cigarette plug then start the motor.
I am unable to get it to power up.
Could some one help please? You will require patience as I am 76 years old and my computer skills are limited.

First step: try plugging the USB cable directly into the camera instead of through the gps mount. Does it work? If not, then the mount is not the issue. If yes, it does work, then the GPS mount is the issue.

If the cam still doesn't work: Do you know if your cars cigarette/12V is working? It may be the plug outlet itself. I'd suggest trying to test it with another device if you have one. if not try to plug your cell phone into the cameras supplied 12v usb adapter and see if it charges to test the adapter. If the phone doesn't charge it's likely the adapter.

Do you have another 12V to USB adapter to try? If not...

Does the camera work outside of the car, when plugged into your cell phone charger and a wall outlet?

If the camera works when plugged into your phone charger chances are something is wrong with your 12V or the supplied adapter. If the camera does not work plugged into your phone charger, then chances are it's the camera.

the card should be formatted in the camera rather than your computer, not related to your current issue but something to be aware of

do you have another USB power supply you can connect the camera to so you can see if the camera has an issue or it's the power supply you have, a USB phone charger would be a suitable power source for testing if you have one available

Yes I have a few USB power supply cables and cigarette plugs. None of them including the VIOFO cable work when they are plugged into the GPS mounting. So changing the cable and cigarette plug they still do not switch on the A119 when I switch on or start the engine.
I removed the dash cam from the GPS mount and plugged the VIOFO cable and cigarette plug directly into the dash cam and it works as do all combinations of cable and plugs.
Results:-
The VIOFO supplied USB cable and VIOFO cigarette plug combination work when plugged directly into the A119 dash cam. They do not work when plugged into the GPS module. All my other USB cables and cigarette plugs gave an identical result.
My conclusion:-
There is a poor connection between the A119 and the GPS
The GPS is Faulty
A software glitch is the problem
A combination

When the A119 starts it displays a blue screen with the message "Format the card" and this could be the problem.
I misread these instructions.
https://mail.google.com/mail/ca/u/0/#inbox/15925e2bb61f9a1e
My interpretation was format on my computer
How do I format the card in the camera?

Yes I have a few USB power supply cables and cigarette plugs. None of them including the VIOFO cable work when they are plugged into the GPS mounting. So changing the cable and cigarette plug they still do not switch on the A119 when I switch on or start the engine.
I removed the dash cam from the GPS mount and plugged the VIOFO cable and cigarette plug directly into the dash cam and it works as do all combinations of cable and plugs.
Results:-
The VIOFO supplied USB cable and VIOFO cigarette plug combination work when plugged directly into the A119 dash cam. They do not work when plugged into the GPS module. All my other USB cables and cigarette plugs gave an identical result.
My conclusion:-
There is a poor connection between the A119 and the GPS
The GPS is Faulty
A software glitch is the problem
A combination

When the A119 starts it displays a blue screen with the message "Format the card" and this could be the problem.
I misread these instructions.
https://mail.google.com/mail/ca/u/0/#inbox/15925e2bb61f9a1e
My interpretation was format on my computer
How do I format the card in the camera?
Go into the menu, there is an option to format the card.
If your camera works when plugged into the actual camera USB port, then is either the GPS module itself or the ribbon cable inside the camera that supplies power from the GPS mount to the camera. The ribbon cable might be the more obvious culprit, since a few others have had this issue.

OK Thanks for your help.
I have by trial and error opened the menu and found "Format" and formatted the card from the A119. I went through the menu and set those items I could understand. Those that were double Dutch to me I left alone for another day. My A119 also has to be upgraded to the current firmware. This I am leaving as I need to get the A119 and the GPS unit replaced under warranty by the seller Gearbest.
I could not find a connection to a human being on the warranty and support section of the Gearbest website so I filled out their warranty request form and emailed it to them. Their response is a standard generic email referring me to their Dead on Arrival clause on their website. Not good as Gearbest only allow 3 days from date of purchase for dead on arrival claims. Looks like I could be in for a fight. They also asked for a video of the problem. My sense of humour kicked in as I immediately visualised a video depicting the power cable plugged into the GPS with absolutely nothing happening for the length of the video. I might further punish the Gearbest tech with a second video showing me stumbling through the menu settings of the poor A119.
I will do my claim and a video Monday and wait and see how I go.
I purchased using PayPal so I have them as backup.

I might add that you can plug your car cable directly into the side of the A119 and bypass the GPS module. As long as the A119 is mounted on its GPS module it will still pick up information from that module. The only downside is that your power cable hangs down a little bit.

Back