Viofo A119 Car DVR factory sample tests

Mtz

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro TeleQuad
I have a pre-production beta-sample with an beta-firmware installed.

Viofo A119 specifications:
Chipset: NT96660
CMOS: OV4689
Lens: 160 degrees, all glass elements
GPS: yes, included in the mount
LCD: 2” good quality

First video recorded with A119:

Please consider that videos recorded on snow are not showing the reality, the image is much brighter compared to clean roads because the snow is reflecting the lights. Never judge a camera based only on low light video demonstrations recorded on snow.

Of course people are waiting for comparisons and the most wanted is vs. A118. I will do, also with Mini 0806 and GitUp.

Some wedge design cameras comparisons between A118 (SG96655GC) and Shadow 1S.
Viofo A119 front comparisons.jpg Viofo A119 side comparisons-.jpg Viofo A119 down comparisons.jpg Viofo A119 back comparisons-.jpg Viofo A119 windhsield comparison 1.jpg

For sure the A119 camera will be not available until chinese holiday will end, about March 1, 2016.

Night test comparison with XiaoMi Yi, more details on this post:

Day test comparison with XiaoMi Yi, more details in this post:

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
do you have LED driving lights on the car?

looks a lot better than A118 already, better hardware of course

LED lights would result in over exposed, burned out number plates, this looks good for normal lights.

But what about daylight?

Yes, my car have normal lights, I am a poor man. :confused:
Tomorrow I will record something. Today I was busy to mount some dashcams for future comparisons. That video was real the first one of this camera.

enjoy,
Mtz

Yes, I saw that flicker on LCD too even I set the A119 frequency to 50Hz. Strange.
To have for sure 50Hz I was forced to press 60Hz and then back 50Hz to have proper 50hz frequency.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
there's a lot of flicker which looks like LED lighting
Doesn't seem to like the frequency of the sodium lights in the car park, maybe needs flicker setting to 50Hz?

I will check the 60Hz tomorrow, maybe is inversed?

I will check the 60Hz tomorrow, maybe is inversed?
Maybe also try setting to PAL so the fps matches, although on the 0806 with the same sensor none of those settings seem to make any difference.

It does appear to only be the orange sodium lights causing the issue.

looks really good, especially at 60fps. just smooth like butter. :)

can't wait to see true night performance on unlit roads, just with headlights. and of course day performance.

I just made a night recording comparison between Viofo A119 and Viofo A118. First time I was shocked because the brightness difference was too much for my expectations and I started to worry that my A118 had problems or wrong settings. Checked everything and no problems!

Then I searched frame by frame all video test to see if in any situation I can find A118 with same image brightness as A119 and I found some :

Viofo A119 vs A118 (B40) night comparison dashcam test (1).jpg Viofo A119 vs A118 (B40) night comparison dashcam test (2).jpg Viofo A119 vs A118 (B40) night comparison dashcam test (3).jpg Viofo A119 vs A118 (B40) night comparison dashcam test (4).jpg Viofo A119 vs A118 (B40) night comparison dashcam test (5).jpg

So... the reason I post these pictures with both situations of brightness is tot not think that I did something wrong in this comparison.

But I consider for the moment A119 have too much brightness for night driving.

enjoy,
Mtz

in a well lit scene the A118 is ok, on low light stuff it really struggles, I'm sure the A119 will be able to be improved a lot further though as the hardware is a big step up from the A118

Can you post the picture of the actual dashcam. Does it look like a118c ?

I just made a night recording comparison between Viofo A119 and Viofo A118. First time I was shocked because the brightness difference was too much for my expectations and I started to worry that my A118 had problems or wrong settings. Checked everything and no problems!

Then I searched frame by frame all video test to see if in any situation I can find A118 with same image brightness as A119 and I found some :

View attachment 20562 View attachment 20563 View attachment 20564 View attachment 20565 View attachment 20566

So... the reason I post these pictures with both situations of brightness is tot not think that I did something wrong in this comparison.

But I consider for the moment A119 have too much brightness for night driving.

enjoy,
Mtz
why do you say it's too bright at night? looks GREAT to me!

Sometimes the street lights are like light explosions, no details even I know we are interested only about road and what is happening on it. Some othr people will say that is a wrong thing.

I will post some A119 pictures after taking out from windshield, now is fixed a little complicated because of too many dashcams.

And now a night test comparison with Mini 0806:
Viofo A119 vs Mini 0806 0805 night comparison dashcam test (1).jpg Viofo A119 vs Mini 0806 0805 night comparison dashcam test (2).jpg Viofo A119 vs Mini 0806 0805 night comparison dashcam test (3).jpg Viofo A119 vs Mini 0806 0805 night comparison dashcam test (4).jpg Viofo A119 vs Mini 0806 0805 night comparison dashcam test (5).jpg

And here is a night comparison of Viofo A119 with B40 (A118) and Mini 0805 at the same time:

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
Sorry for the off-topic, but just realized that viofo is behind Gitup and SJCAM (or used to be) and now they have dash-cameras. Damn.

Sorry if I misunderstood, but the gitup is an action cam, just that Mtz is using it as a dashcam.

All videos from this thread until now are from dashcams. In my latest post above there are 4 cameras just for comparison and one of them is the GitUp. This thread is about the new A119 and on pictures I wrote which camera is each.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back