Viofo A119 In A Lotus Exige Review

zhuk

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another update this time with some dusk and night time footage. Running the latest firmware (A119_FW_0805_Beta.zip). I believe the newest firmware did help a bit with the video quality at night so we are heading in the right direction.

Just an update. Here is a video showing what happens when driving towards the sun and how there are issues in certain situations.

I have updated and am running the latest firmware available. (A119_FW_0805_Beta.zip)

Original post below:

This replaced a GoPro I used as a dash cam and overall has done so wonderfully. Since there are so many great things about this dash cam I would like to go ahead and get the bad out of the way.

#1: The adhesive pad that is used to mount the unit to the windshield is grey. If it was black it would be more difficult to see from a distance.
#2: I have tested this unit in 2 completely different vehicles now and I can safely say that they really need to include a polarizing filter with this unit. Driving towards the sun you can forget about having good video.
#3: The night time video while everything being visible it feels smeared and blurry. I will test again on a 100% spotless window and see if that helps.
#4: The sound quality seems to deteriorate a little over an extended period of time. I will test this more.

I will keep monitoring progress of this unit with firmware updates and such and revise this if anything changes.

Now onto the good. This part is easy since I enjoy this unit overall.

#1: This camera has a wonderful build quality. Everything feel well put together and an overall solid feel.
#2: Excellent daytime image quality as long as your not driving directly into the sun.
#3: Great low profile unit makes for a stealthy dash cam.
#4: Extremely easy setup. I didn't even need to look at the manual at all.
#5: Comes with all mounting hardware required, the the power cable is extremely long and should work with any vehicle, and the actual power unit is a dual slot unit so you can also plug your phone in.

The only neutral thing I can think of is that 1440p @ 30fps seems to have a sharper / clearer image than 1080p @ 60fps. It isn't a big deal since 1440p feels so smooth even at fast speeds and is able to catch license plates no problem.

I will keep updating this review as I use the unit, but so far I highly recommend it. Night time video coming soon.

LVSkEE7.jpg

1uTUaUI.jpg

jiv4O2E.jpg

ZKCp10a.jpg

Last edited:
great review, like the details

Just an update. Here is a video showing what happens when driving towards the sun and how there are issues in certain situations.

I have updated and am running the latest firmware available. (A119_FW_0805_Beta.zip)

Last edited:
Thanks for the video review! What's important to note down is that you can still make out the plates on the cars even when you are driving against the brightly lit clouds where everything else is darker in contrast. Honestly, that was the most important factor for me in choosing this over other cameras was the detail it was able to capture not only during the daytime but in the night at well.

We will test a black version 3M tape, and the CPL will be possilble avalialbe at the end of this month.

That is very good news o the CPL filter.

I need one bad.

RodeoGeorge

Thanks for the video review! What's important to note down is that you can still make out the plates on the cars even when you are driving against the brightly lit clouds where everything else is darker in contrast. Honestly, that was the most important factor for me in choosing this over other cameras was the detail it was able to capture not only during the daytime but in the night at well.

Yes I agree it is a very good thing that you can still see the objects and plates. To me a dash camera is more than just a way to protect from accidents, but also a way to capture footage of nice drives, ect so overall image quality is important to me as well.

We will test a black version 3M tape, and the CPL will be possilble avalialbe at the end of this month.

Great news. I look forward to getting my hands on a CPL!

That is very good news o the CPL filter.

I need one bad.

RodeoGeorge

You and me both.

Another update this time with some dusk and night time footage. Running the latest firmware (A119_FW_0805_Beta.zip). I believe the newest firmware did help a bit with the video quality at night so we are heading in the right direction.

Last edited:
When you say latest FW can you be specific with which one it is as it seems they are issuing new ones quite quickly.

When you say latest FW can you be specific with which one it is as it seems they are issuing new ones quite quickly.
Not a problem I have updated my posts. Latest is always the newest firmware available at the time of my posting. Last 2 video's was on A119_FW_0805_Beta.zip

Thanks, just wanted to be sure.

Zhuk, thanks for the review. Now regarding the cloud and bright sky effects, have you tried lowering the aim by about 20 degrees?
Seems to me that most of the camera field of view is sky and therefore the sky related effects are maximized.

Zhuk, thanks for the review. Now regarding the cloud and bright sky effects, have you tried lowering the aim by about 20 degrees?
Seems to me that most of the camera field of view is sky and therefore the sky related effects are maximized.

I have set the lens one click down and will see how it turns out. The angle of the front window in the car is different than your standard car so each click shows a lot more of the car and a lot less of the sky. I will get a new video up in a few days.

Back