VIOFO A119 Mini 2 - Test and Review RCG

Everyone chooses what they like best.
Someone needs the maximum resolution, but I set the resolution to 21:9 on all models where possible.
Also, someone can't live without 60 fps. For me, 30 fps is enough since they appeared. Before, even that wasn't possible.

Everyone chooses what they like best...
+1. I don't understand why some people can't accept this. For my use case 1080p at 30 fps is more than adequate - anything more just fills the memory card faster, decreases the life span of the card, increases the cost of the camera, and generates more heat.

Last edited:
I don't understand why some people can't accept this.

Yeah, there are so many examples of this kind of mentality on the forum. I recall one member (who I won't name for now) who repeatedly berated and insulted another member who stated that he wasn't interested in using GPS on his camera, implying there was something wrong with him for not wanting to use an available feature. Another member (who didn't last long on the forum) began insulting me when I said I found 2K cameras to be preferable over 4K cameras for a number of reasons (mostly heat issues, but others as well).

How one uses a camera is merely a matter of preference.

Hi, just curious, why are you and other people only using 2560x1440 and 2560x1080 and not the higher resolutions like 2592x1944 or 2560x1600?

Wouldn't the latter two have even more pixels/data/information?
Generally, on a 2K camera, if you select a resolution that is 2560 wide, then you get the full detail available from the sensor. The difference is only a difference in height, which means that on the lesser heights, part of the sky and part of the dash is cropped off the image.

Most people use 16:9 aspect ratio, the shape of standard TV screens, but the sensor is taller than that, so most people are using a cropped resolution, some people prefer a more cropped resolution of 21:9 (Cinema screen aspect ratio), and a few people like to use the full sensor height, giving a 4:3 tall aspect ratio similar to old SD resolution CRT TV screens or digital photo cameras.

How tall you need your image depends a bit on your vehicle, how high you mount your camera, and how high your road signs and traffic lights are. With a tall vehicle, like a bus, you quite likely want to point the camera down a bit to record the road just in front of the vehicle, and then you need the extra height of 4:3. With a low vehicle, or with the dashcam mounted on the dash, 21:9 aspect ratio will likely record everything you want. If your location has overhead traffic lights, as in parts of the USA, then you likely want a higher aspect ratio than in countries that have all the traffic lights at low level.

The advantages of using a lower height are that you either save on storage requirements, so can store more video on your memory card, or, if you use the same bitrate for the lower height as for the higher height, then you will get higher image quality due to less compression.

You did mention 2592x1944, which is actually a slightly wider image, the standard 2560 has a few pixels cropped off the edges. There is no loss in detail of the lower width resolutions, just that the image is not quite as wide. The difference is so small that it is not really significant though, we very rarely need the last few pixels of width since they tend to be the most motion blurred, so the least useful pixels. I'm not sure why Viofo doesn't offer a 2592x1080 resolution to make best use of the sensor, but that is not a standard monitor resolution, while 2560x1080 is.

The advantages of using a lower height are that you either save on storage requirements, so can store more video on your memory card, or, if you use the same bitrate for the lower height as for the higher height, then you will get higher image quality due to less compression.

I noticed that 2560 x 1440 30fps and 2560 x 1080 30fps produce the same file size, typically ~458 MB for a 2 minute daytime file. I guess this is what you're saying above?

Firmware V1.0_20231116
Bitrate: High
HDR: off

This is different from the A119 V3, which produces smaller files at 2560 x 1080.

Back