VIOFO A119 Mini 2 - Test and Review RCG

Nice comparison, one mistake I saw... Wm1 gps logger isnt part of windshield mount its part of the camera that attaches to the plastic mount on windshield.
The GPS logger for the WM1 is still part of the windshield mount for the WM1. It just so happens the GPS module is screwed onto the body of the WM1. Without the GPS logger module, you can't mount the WM1 on the windshield. :geek:

The GPS logger for the WM1 is still part of the windshield mount for the WM1. It just so happens the GPS module is screwed onto the body of the WM1. Without the GPS logger module, you can't mount the WM1 on the windshield. :geek:
LOL I still consider it part of the camera since when I take the cam off the windshield its still attached to the camera part and not the mount. Breakdown is good though, nice to see everything in one spot for a quick reference.

LOL I still consider it part of the camera since when I take the cam off the windshield its still attached to the camera part and not the mount. Breakdown is good though, nice to see everything in one spot for a quick reference.

I'm finding this discussion amusing because I still remember the early dash cams that featured GPS. The GPS module would be on a cable that plugged into the camera and would be mounted three or four feet away, usually in the upper right or lower right corner of the windshield on a right hand drive vehicle. One reason for this was that back in the day GPS antennas where sometimes plagued with reception and interference issues, so they needed to be isolated as much as possible.

Much better this way, whether it is integrated directly into the camera or in the mounting plate. :)

You guys are nit picking, and splitting the wrong hair, give poor Robert a break.
There are a ton of specs to deal with, and codify on one camera let alone three.
Oh wait, the obvious omission on the chart is the WM1's H.265 Codec capability. Bazinga!

Ha have to have a little fun on here. All you guys have great info and do a great job reviewing things.

Oh wait, the obvious omission on the chart is the WM1's H.265 Codec capability. Bazinga!
The H.265 codec existence in the WM1 is not a documented feature. It could be taken away with a future update of the firmware. In my WM1 review, I did document the existence of and how to enable the use of the H.265 codec. :p

I sent my chart to VIOFO for "review" and the only change they suggested was that I could now list 512GB as the max microSD card capacity for both the A119 Mini and A119 Mini 2. I'll send an email asking whether the H.265 codec in any of their dash cameras is one that is officially supported and should be part of the list of features.

Last edited:
Anyone know what's its power consumption is in the various parking modes?

These are preliminary measurements.
We're waiting on a firmware update that will effect Bitrate, that will effect power consumption.
-Chuck

These are preliminary measurements.
We're waiting on a firmware update that will effect Bitrate, that will effect power consumption.
-Chuck
Interesting - thanks. I was reading that the STARVIS 2 has significantly lower power consumption, but that doesn't seem to have come through in the overall consumption, so I guess other stuff is using more power.

Anyone know what's its power consumption is in the various parking modes?
Here are my preliminary power consumption results with the v1.0_20230423 firmware that was installed in the A119 Mini 2 when it was released (at least my test version of the A119 Mini 2). This firmware does allow the recording bitrate to vary depending on the amount of activity within the field of view. A firmware which uses a constant bitrate is believed to be in the works for the A119 Mini 2.

1686152395704.png

This firmware does allow the recording bitrate to vary depending on the amount of activity within the field of view. A firmware which uses a constant bitrate is believed to be in the works for the A119 Mini 2.
My A119 Mini 2 arrived with firmware V1.0_0516.
At a resolution of 2560x1080 30fps, all minute video files are the same size.
V1.0_0516.png

My A119 Mini 2 arrived with firmware V1.0_0516.
At a resolution of 2560x1080 30fps, all minute video files are the same size.
View attachment 65556
My A119 Mini 2 test/review unit arrived with v1.0_20230423 firmware. Then I upgraded it to v1.0_0509 which was a test firmware at the time. The v1.0_0509 firmware is now publicly available and the latest available via the VIOFO website. The video files created using the v1.0_0509 firmware still have varying bitrates. I'll send an email to VIOFO asking about v1.0_0516 firmware.

1686158994749.png

My A119 Mini 2 test/review unit arrived with v1.0_20230423 firmware. Then I upgraded it to v1.0_0509 which was a test firmware at the time. The v1.0_0509 firmware is now publicly available and the latest available via the VIOFO website. The video files created using the v1.0_0509 firmware still have varying bitrates. I'll send an email to VIOFO asking about v1.0_0516 firmware.

View attachment 65557
I haven't tried 2560x1440 on the Mini 2, but the Mini has the same problem at 2560x1440, the video files are different sizes.
Although at a resolution of 2560x1080 all video files are the same size. Try on your Mini and Mini 2 to change the resolution to 2560x1080.
You will most likely end up with video files of the same size.

View attachment 65557
The bitrate is dynamic with V1.0_0509 firmware, so the bitrates are varying. The V1.0_0516 firmware is still being tested. We will release it soon after confirmation.

I drove a little with other settings:
Firmware: V1.0_0516. Bitrate: high. Resolution: 2560x1440 30fps.
As you can see in the screenshot, the video files are of different sizes.
I also attached 2 text files in which the bitrate of the largest and smallest video files is visible.
2560х1440.png

Attachments

• 20230608100604_000006.MP4.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230608103746_000038.MP4.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 0
Could I use parking mode (timelapse) without spliced cable?
It's not clear from user manual , neither from this link if you can manually select camera mode.
I intend to buy this camera and a powerbank like this to use only in parking mode with standard 12V plug or USB cable.
Thanks!

Could I use parking mode (timelapse) without spliced cable?
It's not clear from user manual , neither from this link if you can manually select camera mode.
I intend to buy this camera and a powerbank like this to use only in parking mode with standard 12V plug or USB cable.
Thanks!
In theory that would work. I've not tested the any motion based parking mode for VIOFO dash cameras. Switching the dash camera to the EcoFlow RIVER 2 would require the dash camera to boot up and then wait at least 5 minutes before it would enter parking mode. The VIOFO recommended approach is to use their HK4 hardwire kit to power the A119 Mini 2 since it enters/exits parking mode solely based on the state of the ACC power being supplied to the HK4. The EcoFlow RIVER 2 does use LFP (LiFePO4) batteries, so it's likely to be more heat resistant. You would need to verify with EcoFlow on its use in this manner.

Last edited:
Many thanks!
I want to use timelapse mode for parking, not motion based, I think it's the best compromise for long recording duration.
I don't know why there isn't an option for timelapse in normal menu, I have a Garmin Dashcam 55 and it has. Garmin was a very buggy camera, it goes to parking mode only by hardware kit and has a non-standard microusb cable (with a resistor between some pins). I have nothing but trouble, sometimes it sayed that it's not an original cable and it can't charge (it's original, of course), sometimes goes by itself to parking mode in motion.
I hoped that parking mode is a user selectable option on Viofo (it seems that it's not even on 139pro).

About powerbank, I choose EcoFlow for warranty, availability in my country and good price. It's a little low on temperature specifications (-10°C to 45°C) compared to Powercell 8 so I must be careful. In my country Power Magic Battery B-130X cost double...

I want to use timelapse mode for parking, not motion based, I think it's the best compromise for long recording duration.
I understand that you want to use time-lapse parking mode. My statement about motion was related to the criteria for the dash camera to switch from normal recording mode to parking mode. There's a 5-minute requirement for the vehicle and objects within the view of the dash camera to be motionless before this approach to entering parking mode will allow the dash camera to enter parking mode.

I've been trying to get clarification from VIOFO about entering parking mode when not powered by one of their hardwire kits and it's been a bit mixed in the definition. They have stated you should use the VIOFO supplied USB cable and not a third party cable. The 5-minute period of no motion seems to involve what is visible within the field of view of the dash camera(s). It can take longer than 5-minutes if motion is detected within the field of view of the camera(s) or if the is an obvious light level change.

If it were me, I might still get the HK4 hardwire kit and create a wiring harness for the battery pack power source that allows the HK4 to get 12-volt power from the battery pack. The battery pack will of course provide constant power, but you can simulate ACC power by having one wire from the battery pack's 12V power connect to the HK4's battery wire, another wire from the battery pack's 12V power would have a SPST switch which will let you simulate ACC power. When you plug the HK4 into the battery pack's 12V power port (with this custom cable), you'll have the ACC+ switch "On". Let the dash camera boot and after it starts recording in normal mode, turn off the SPST switch for the ACC power in that cable and the dash camera will enter parking mode immediately. I've had to create a few of those 12-volt to hardwire cable/kit cables with a switch to simulate the ACC power to power the dash cameras in my filming studio with a 12V AC-to-DC power supply.

That's the information I needed, thank you!
I will get HK4 and do as you said.

Back