I've also created a Firmware Modification Guide video revealing exactly How to Modify your own Firmware, it applies directly to A119S
I’m interested on watching the Gide video you have created but don’t know exactly know how to access it. I will appreciate a guidance on how to get to it. Keep the good work.

Hi! This is my first time using any modded firmware (6Rp) on my A119 V2 and I would like to ask if it's better to have WDR on with this firmware or not?

Hi! This is my first time using any modded firmware (6Rp) on my A119 V2 and I would like to ask if it's better to have WDR on with this firmware or not?
Wide Dynamic Range feature affects image quality with increased motion blur at night. The A119 V2 sensor creates darker night video than brighter Sony sensors. With WDR=On all low light video does brighten with side affect of grainy blurry footage. Suggest recording test footage with WDR=Off then On and compare results, most owners leave WDR=On to brighten A119 V2 night footage. Consider removing CPL Filter to brighten night video.

Wide Dynamic Range feature affects image quality with increased motion blur at night. The A119 V2 sensor creates darker night video than brighter Sony sensors. With WDR=On all low light video does brighten with side affect of grainy blurry footage. Suggest recording test footage with WDR=Off then On and compare results, most owners leave WDR=On to brighten A119 V2 night footage. Consider removing CPL Filter to brighten night video.
Thanks for your reply. Will try it out. I doubt it, that I would remove CPL, since most of the time I completely forget about the camera, especially when it comes to viewing the footage :) .

I've just noticed after some testing that the file names are now in continuous number order (loop recording), before it would start from 1 (last number in the name) when the camera started recording, now it's just the next number after the previous file. Is there a way to change that? I was really used to the system before and for me it was easier to identify when the recording had started.

I've also provided some screenshots if it's not clear what I meant.

old_order.png
It's clear when the camera started recording, with multiple 1 at the end.

new_order.png
Here it keeps on going, not so clear anymore.

I've just noticed after some testing that the file names are now in continuous number order (loop recording), before it would start from 1 (last number in the name) when the camera started recording, now it's just the next number after the previous file. Is there a way to change that? I was really used to the system before and for me it was easier to identify when the recording had started.

I've also provided some screenshots if it's not clear what I meant.

View attachment 49060
It's clear when the camera started recording, with multiple 1 at the end.

View attachment 49061
Here it keeps on going, not so clear anymore.
the numbering system hasn't changed in the firmware.
your example can occur if memory card is removed or sometimes occurs when locked G-sensor event or Parking event is recorded or photo/lock button is pressed causing numbering system to reset.

the numbering system hasn't changed in the firmware.
your example can occur if memory card is removed or sometimes occurs when locked G-sensor event or Parking event is recorded or photo/lock button is pressed causing numbering system to reset.
I see, thanks for quick respond. And how could I make it go back as it was?

I see, thanks for quick respond. And how could I make it go back as it was?
ignore the file counter and sort based on date+time file name.
or
suggest you buy the new A129 Pro 4K dual camera dashcam with new date+time only file naming sequence (the file counter was removed) = 20191014_153940F.MP4
or
suggest you send Viofo a "date+time only file naming sequence" feature request Ticket for the next A119 V2 firmware release, just don't expect it any time soon or ever.
Viofo Support = https://support.viofo.com/support/tickets/new

Reactions: gse
ignore the file counter and sort based on date+time file name.
or
suggest you buy the new A129 Pro 4K dual camera dashcam with new date+time only file naming sequence (the file counter was removed) = 20191014_153940F.MP4
or
suggest you send Viofo a "date+time only file naming sequence" feature request Ticket for the next A119 V2 firmware release, just don't expect it any time soon or ever.
Viofo Support = https://support.viofo.com/support/tickets/new
Buying a new dash cam is something I don't really need right now, I would be looking at buying a dual dash cam with 4K in front and with better rear picture. I guess until that dash cam arrives I'll have to sort it out by date, I was just used to the file counter and it was quite easy for me to find when recording started in each day. But the quality is much better now, so I can't really complain, everything is working, the recording is there, so the counter is on me and it's really not the end of the world.

Just installed the 6Rp mod. Is it advisable to go full res (@1440p) or just a tad low (1296p)?

Is there a way to modify the firmware so that the camera loop records properly with a dead rtc battery? I'm more worried about footage not saving instead a correct timestamp. I had a few close calls and realized that the my original a119v1 did not capture anything for the past couple months. My 1st dashcam, the G1WC is able to record with the incorrect time. It resets to 1/1/2000 every time the date is lost but keeps the files that were recorded that day. With the a119 v1 and a118c it stops recording once the date resets, so if you get into an accident and want to review the footage on the same day, there will not be any footage saved. It will not overwrite since the new file (camera backdates to 2016) is older than the videos saved on the sd card. I have the G1WC, a118c (now retired due to issue), a119v1 (now retired due to issue), v2 and v3 and I'm not sure if I will run into this issue with all of them sometime in the future.

RTC batteries can be replaced. They're almost always soldered in though so it's not DIY for everyone. But any computer repair shop or a good phone repair shop can do that for you at a nominal cost if you source the battery yourself. So for a few bucks you can get your old camera(s) going again :)

Phil

What kind of battery does it take?

Just installed the 6Rp mod. Is it advisable to go full res (@1440p) or just a tad low (1296p)?
always select the higher common resolution for A119 V2 its 1440p

Back