Any problems with 7Rg and parking mode?

I have the A119 V2 with 7Rg firware hardwired to my car with constant power and parking mode enabled at 5fps.

As a test I left the car in a dark garage for over an hour and the entire time it recorded clips...though some are of less duration (30s, 65s, 90s, )

So it appears I have a problem or parking mode motion detection is too sensitive (maybe picking up noise in the video signal ?)

Answering my own question, appears moving back to OEM firmware 4.00 resolved the parking mode issue.

Thanks for the test clips, I have another suggestion,
since all my modified firmware reduce sharpness and your Lens has very slight soft focus I suggest loading official A119 FW4.00 which is over-sharpened to compensate. Record clips both in and out of vehicle. If after comparing all clips you are still unhappy with image quality contact seller for refund or exchange.

Thank you for your help, OCD is going to look at the camera, sending it to them Monday.

Thank you for your help, OCD is going to look at the camera, sending it to them Monday.
The A119 usually has perfect Lens focus which made it a top selling model, image quality issues are extremely rare.
Let me know when replacement arrives, will need your help to Beta test slightly higher sharpness level on newest A119's. Attempting to lockdown Strong/High & Normal/Medium sharpness values for next official firmware release. Always load latest official VIOFO firmware to record baseline image quality before using modified firmware then compare quality and functions. Keep all your previous test footage for comparisons.

Answering my own question, appears moving back to OEM firmware 4.00 resolved the parking mode issue.
Well, I thought the OEM firmware fixed parking mode...

What am I doing wrong, this thing recorded from 6pm to 11pm in a closed garage with the lights on and nobody in the garage...

I have mostly full size clips with sprinklings on parking mode clips (designated with the (p) in the name), yet there is zero movement in the frames...

Well, I thought the OEM firmware fixed parking mode...

What am I doing wrong, this thing recorded from 6pm to 11pm in a closed garage with the lights on and nobody in the garage...

I have mostly full size clips with sprinklings on parking mode clips (designated with the (p) in the name), yet there is zero movement in the frames...
My A119 MODs work 100% with Parking Mode as long as Bit Rate is below 27.6 Mb/s.
Send me a link to a short 5fps clip from FW4.00 & MOD.
The A119/Pro/S use the same Parking Mode options, selecting 5fps will record time lapse clips if visual motion change is detected in central area and will trigger 30-60 second normal video clips if impact vibration is detected from G-sensor event. The visual motion is also triggered by brightness changes such as sun and cloud or even interior light reflecting on windshield which is noticeable on footage. A common issue of false Parking Mode time lapse trigger can occur if vehicle has bright Alarm System LED blinking which dashcam is detecting as motion, cover LED with tape as a test. I'd ignore a few dozen short time lapse clips per hour unless its over 100 or 200 which would almost be continuous time lapse but that feature is only available in A129 Parking Mode.

The A119 vs A129 side by side comparison was revised from 18 - 8 - 3 mins, decided to remove the recent footage for use on another project. The image quality when viewed at 1080HD setting is acceptable and reveals some interesting results, was actually surprised at how well A129 at 1080P did against A119 at 1440P.

A119 Dash Cam Review: https://viofo-a119-dash-cam-review.blogspot.com

Last edited:
The A119 vs A129 side by side comparison was revised from 18 - 8 - 3 mins, decided to remove the recent footage for use on another project. The image quality when viewed at 1080HD setting is acceptable and reveals some interesting results, was actually surprised at how well A129 at 1080P did against A119 at 1440P.

Maybe it's my eyes, but the A129 seems sharper and has more dynamic range.

My A119 MODs work 100% with Parking Mode as long as Bit Rate is below 27.6 Mb/s.
Send me a link to a short 5fps clip from FW4.00 & MOD.
The A119/Pro/S use the same Parking Mode options, selecting 5fps will record time lapse clips if visual motion change is detected in central area and will trigger 30-60 second normal video clips if impact vibration is detected from G-sensor event. The visual motion is also triggered by brightness changes such as sun and cloud or even interior light reflecting on windshield which is noticeable on footage. A common issue of false Parking Mode time lapse trigger can occur if vehicle has bright Alarm System LED blinking which dashcam is detecting as motion, cover LED with tape as a test. I'd ignore a few dozen short time lapse clips per hour unless its over 100 or 200 which would almost be continuous time lapse but that feature is only available in A129 Parking Mode.

I had WDR turned on, so maybe it's picking up the noise in the video signal as motion.

I"ll turn off WDR and try again, and I'll try to send some clips.

This was night time in closed garage with garage lights on and window blinds closed, I don't believe I can get any more real life better conditions than that. No LED's flashing in the field of view, and I don't believe there are any in any reflections as well but I'll double check.

I believe you stated that in parking mode, the camera automatically sets the motion sensitivity to high, is there a possibility of having the motion sensitivity set to medium instead?

A129 has a narrower field of view and can appear sharper. The A119 collects much more information of the scene thus a lot more data. Because of the 170 Degree lens it also makes the picture seem to be smaller with less detail when it actually has more pixels/detail. It also depends very much on what the footage is displayed on. A poorly set up monitor, TV, etc would show the lower resolution video in a better light.

I had WDR turned on, so maybe it's picking up the noise in the video signal as motion.

I"ll turn off WDR and try again, and I'll try to send some clips.

This was night time in closed garage with garage lights on and window blinds closed, I don't believe I can get any more real life better conditions than that. No LED's flashing in the field of view, and I don't believe there are any in any reflections as well but I'll double check.

I believe you stated that in parking mode, the camera automatically sets the motion sensitivity to high, is there a possibility of having the motion sensitivity set to medium instead?
Your A119 Parking Mode issue should be easily solved. Other dashcam models have reported sparatic Parking Mode clips caused by Hardwire Kit voltage regulator sensing low vehicle battery voltage and switches off dashcam, then the older car battery recovers power triggering voltage regulator to turn on dashcam which records 1-2 mins normal 30fps video clip then switches to Parking Mode until battery voltage drops again and repeats.
How old is the vehicle battery ? May want to have a load test done on battery.

It could also be the vehicle fuse box circuit tapped causing voltage drops or weak ground connection or both or the Hardwire Kit itself.
Did you install the old or new VIOFO 2-wire Hardwire Kit ?

One way to confirm Parking Mode is working normally is to isolate power issues by using 6-20 mAh Power Bank.

Your A119 Parking Mode issue should be easily solved. Other dashcam models have reported sparatic Parking Mode clips caused by Hardwire Kit voltage regulator sensing low vehicle battery voltage and switches off dashcam, then the older car battery recovers power triggering voltage regulator to turn on dashcam which records 1-2 mins normal 30fps video clip then switches to Parking Mode until battery voltage drops again and repeats.
How old is the vehicle battery ? May want to have a load test done on battery.

It could also be the vehicle fuse box circuit tapped causing voltage drops or weak ground connection or both or the Hardwire Kit itself.
Did you install the old or new VIOFO 2-wire Hardwire Kit ?

One way to confirm Parking Mode is working normally is to isolate power issues by using 6-20 mAh Power Bank.

That could be it!

I'll connect the camera to a 10000mah power bank and place it on the roof of my car in the garage to simulate the same scene and see if things change. Thanks!

Car is a 2014 Audi S4 with no battery issue that I can tell, believe the battery to be the original...I have zero battery issues even allowing the car to sit for long periods in the cold.

A129 has a narrower field of view and can appear sharper. The A119 collects much more information of the scene thus a lot more data. Because of the 170 Degree lens it also makes the picture seem to be smaller with less detail when it actually has more pixels/detail. It also depends very much on what the footage is displayed on. A poorly set up monitor, TV, etc would show the lower resolution video in a better light.

I'm a techie don't get me wrong, but I hate statements like this :)

"Don't believe your lying eyes, 1440 is more data than 1080, so you are wrong"

I know that's not what you're saying, and you are not wrong, but we can only see with our eyes on the monitors we have, so on my monitor and with my eyes the A129 looks better.....now I'm sure that changes as soon as you try to zoom in.

But what is 100% evident is the A129 has more dynamic range, that is of course unless the one has WDR enabled and one doesn't..

Your monitor is probably not of a high res. You need to view at 4K and 1080p to make a true comparison. I have both and that is where my observations come from. If you can not display 1440p you are seeing a picture that as been reduced in size thus not getting all the true data.

If you could upload the raw files of comparison

That could be it!

I'll connect the camera to a 10000mah power bank and place it on the roof of my car in the garage to simulate the same scene and see if things change. Thanks!

Car is a 2014 Audi S4 with no battery issue that I can tell, believe the battery to be the original...I have zero battery issues even allowing the car to sit for long periods in the cold.

So some testing results of parking mode on my A119:

In my office, pointed at a mixed static scene with lights, the camera connected to a 10000mah QuickCharge 2.0 Powerbank, the camera recorded 99 clips with zero clips in Parking mode 5fps from 4:30pm to 9:45pm.

I verified parking mode with 5fps is selected. I also watched it for awhile and could see it change from the Red record LED to the Green power LED for parking mode, then switch back to Red...Again, there was no movement, no change in lighting, I have black curtains blocking light from the windows as well.

The static scene does have a good amount of black in it and I noticed maybe 3 pixels that were flicking in the video, I'm thinking they are bad photocells on the sensor and the flickering is causing the camera tor pick it up as movement...

I'm sending this to camera to OCD for repair and focus adjustments, I"ll share my experience with them.

Here's a picture of the mixed static scene, I've circled the flicking pixels:
A119.jpg

Here's a picture of the mixed static scene, I've circled the flicking pixels:
What resolutions do you use? Unfortunately all resolutions which are lower than native 1440p have hot pixels. Sometime a lot, sometime a few.

Here is my 1440P version of A119 vs A129 at lower 25 Mb/s bitrate. Both VIOFO Dash Cams used the stock color saturation values but lower sharpness levels. The last ocean scene reveals the Lens FOV differences and obvious A119 curved horizon.

RAW A129 1080P clip = https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ugxB7YhJqr0VIeOFWrsdPS0S87p1xzhG
RAW A119 1440P clip = https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dhdobPB_g9GQtPyt4CZLCE0lKvtdPpkB

Select Best Quality > YouTube Settings > Quality > 1440p

A119 Dash Cam Review: https://viofo-a119-dash-cam-review.blogspot.com

Last edited:
Hi guys. I am new here, as my camera in the car... i just got an A119 pro.
Drove with it in the last 3 days,the original firmware...I would like to give a try to a modified firmware. Which one should i try from the last 3 ones? MOD-5Rg,MOD-7Rg,MOD-27L

thanks inadvance

Last edited:
Hi guys. I am new here, as my camera in the car... i just got an A119 pro.
Drove with it in the last 3 days,the original firmware...I would like to give a try to a modified firmware. Which one should i try from the last 3 ones? MOD-5Rg,MOD-7Rg,MOD-27L

thanks inadvance
Welcome to the Forum
I always recommend new Dash Cam owners to record 1 weeks worth of footage using latest official VIOFO firmware then load my lower Bitrate modified firmware and compare the differences. Since the higher Bitrate MODs increase chipset load and heat I don't recommend using them in hot summer climates.
This is my A119 MOD thread and you mention owning A119 PRO which is discussed in my other MOD Archive thread.
Currently the A119 & A119 Pro baseline firmware doesn't include Sharpness Menu option which is why I created so many different MODs. Suggest using MOD-5Rg for A119 and use MOD-5Th for A119 Pro.

Remember to remove the plastic Lens protective film and then clean off the horrible cloudy residue left on the glass (repeat on both sides of CPL Filter), use Lens cloth or watch my Lens cleaning video on my BCHobbyist YouTube channel.

Back