The only way to join the clips is to use a video editor. There are several free ones on the net. From simple basic to complex editing suites it is the users choice.
The clip will need butting together and as there is no frame loss between clips it is as easy depending on the editor you use. If you wish to get into editing the Dashcam footage I would recommend 1 to 3 min clips as it would be easier to make short videos and allow easier production decisions.
To play (not edit) a series of clip with minimal break between clips try VLC, Potplayer or Kodi. TS files are slower between clips when playing back as continuous series of clips.

Here are the footages for with BTb(150 brightness) firmware. FYI, your BTa and BTb use the same link. Please check.
My car tinted with 60 VLT.
For the night video, the edge looks a bit darker than normal firmware.

(Night)

(Day)

Thanks.

Testing 6Rm now.

Last edited:
Here are the footages for with BTb(150 brightness) firmware. FYI, your BTa and BTb use the same link. Please check.

(Night)

(Day)

Thanks.

Testing 6Rm now.
Thanks for the Beta Tint BTa footage, the test routes are excellent. The daytime clip looks very good. The night clip is slightly darker, may require MOD adjustments. Noticed your headlights are aimed high, very narrow beam, passing cars light up road in front, your car does not.
For testing suggest CPL Off , Exposure 0 , WDR Off .
Download links fixed, thanks for reporting.

Video showing difference between MOD6Rm and Viofo firmware 4.0

I am new here, have to say you've done an admirable amount of great work, thank you.

I had been using the beta HDR version (3.4 I think) for some half a year, and it was ok, a noticeable improvement at night, less so in daily footage (other than the resets every few weeks). Then, a few days ago I began experimenting with mods from this thread. I always set EV to -2/3 to be sure licence plate numbers don't sink in overblown highlights.

My question is: which version/settings would be best for licence plate readability, especially at night? I don't care for general IQ, colours, etc. I don't need the footage to be pretty as long as I can read licence plates.

Thanks.

I am new here, have to say you've done an admirable amount of great work, thank you.

I had been using the beta HDR version (3.4 I think) for some half a year, and it was ok, a noticeable improvement at night, less so in daily footage (other than the resets every few weeks). Then, a few days ago I began experimenting with mods from this thread. I always set EV to -2/3 to be sure licence plate numbers don't sink in overblown highlights.

My question is: which version/settings would be best for licence plate readability, especially at night? I don't care for general IQ, colours, etc. I don't need the footage to be pretty as long as I can read licence plates.

Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum and this thread,
The A119 at 1440P resolution has excellent Lens focus and clarity but all official firmware is slightly dim with dull color. The dimmer image results from sensor limitation reducing detail in lower light conditions. Very noticeable on road surface which turns to blocky mush unless in full sun.
Dash Camera image quality at night is greatly affected by vehicles headlight angle and height. When your vehicle headlights are same height as preceding vehicle license plate it will always be too bright, consider changing headlight angle slightly.
Exposure (EV) can cause more issues than its worth. Increasing EV brightens image with longer light exposure which also increases motion blur in lower light, decreasing EV darkens image causing loss of detail and more blocky mush.

For best license plate readability the image should be bright and why Sony Sensor is better in low light. Use Lens angle as brightness control and don't increase Exposure from 0 since both actually increase motion blurring. The Lens angle is most important to find a balanced position which brightens ground but not too low which increases motion blur.
For comparison suggest loading MOD-5Rm then try Beta MOD-Btb, should notice an improvement in plate readability. I suspect Btb will fit your needs, if Lens angle is at balanced position.
Also suggest removing CPL Filter which also darkens image slightly.

Last edited:
Thank you, this is very informative. I already changed the FV to 5Rm, will see what develops.

What do you mean about controlling brightness by lens angle? Is it that auto-EV is triggered by central area of picture and I should be aiming to catch the plates in this range?

BTW, MOD-6Rg young deer catch from yesterday (far distance, tiny frame crop from 1440p, these are actual pixels, so I didn't expect it to have much detail here):

Thank you, this is very informative. I already changed the FV to 5Rm, will see what develops.

What do you mean about controlling brightness by lens angle? Is it that auto-EV is triggered by central area of picture and I should be aiming to catch the plates in this range?

BTW, MOD-6Rg young deer catch from yesterday (far distance, tiny frame crop from 1440p, these are actual pixels, so I didn't expect it to have much detail here):

View attachment 45734
Lens angle adjustment affects Brightness as shown in this video at 3:24 min mark.

(Night)
(Day)
Thanks.
Testing 6Rm now.
If possible can you repeat night footage test with WDR=On
The A119 OmniVision 4 Mega Pixel OV4689 Image Sensor has trouble in low light conditions but WDR in this case may be worth using even if it does increase motion blur at night.

Feedback wanted on latest A119 MOD Rm version, results will be used for next version MOD-6Ro
Sharpness - acceptable / increase / decrease (( unchanged ))
Saturation - acceptable / increase / decrease (( changed by +27 ))
Brightness - acceptable / increase / decrease (( changed by +5 ))
Bitrate Range - acceptable / increase / decrease (( stock 23.5Mbps ==> changed to 24.6 , 25.6 , 26.6Mbps ))

Lens angle adjustment affects Brightness as shown in this video at 3:24 min mark.

Thank you. I'll disable WDR for now, will see how it affects licence plates, I presume blurring will be lower.

If possible can you repeat night footage test with WDR=On
The A119 OmniVision 4 Mega Pixel OV4689 Image Sensor has trouble in low light conditions but WDR in this case may be worth using even if it does increase motion blur at night.

Sorry for the late.
Here is the BTb footage with WDR on.

Thanks.

Footage of the MOD 6Ro rendered up to 4K to keep the quality which is sometimes lost going down 1080p.

Best viewed in 4K

Sorry for the late.
Here is the BTb footage with WDR on.

Thanks.
Always useful to compare recorded videos with WDR On/Off and CPL On/Off when deciding what is best for your dash camera. This video demonstrates perfectly the WDR On difference from previous WDR Off sample. WDR does brighten A119 night footage but also introduces graininess from CPL filter. If you drive mostly at night leave WDR On but avoid using it during the Day.
If possible can you repeat Night test with CPL Off and WDR On ?

Footage of the MOD 6Ro rendered up to 4K to keep the quality which is sometimes lost going down 1080p.

Best viewed in 4K
Thanks for the excellent sneak peak of new A119 vivid color MOD-6Ro. This could be the best color and brightness produced by the A119 1440P Dash Camera. Once night footage is tested will post link on download page.
YouTube always reduces 1080p video bitrates and quality using highly compressed AVC1 codec but raises 2K & 4K upload bitrate quality using less compressed VP09 codec. (right click on video select Stats for Nerds)

I always try and download some raw footage, if available, rather than view via YT as as you say, reduces quality.

Created new A119 - STABLE MOD version 6Ro , 5Ro , 4Ro
DOWNLOAD >
https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a119-mod-file.html

The Ro series MODs are designed to greatly enhance vivid Color Saturation and increase Brightness, also adjusted Sharpness to an acceptable level. View the A119 ChangeLog page for full details.
This could be the best color and brightness produced by the A119 1440P Dash Camera.
Recommend 24 Mb/s for reduced file size or 26 Mb/s for improved image detail.
Higher Bitrate MODs improve image detail and increase MP4 video clip size.

MOD Install Guide: https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/
A119 Dash Cam Review: https://viofo-a119-dash-cam-review.blogspot.com

---
DCTeam - CEO/CEH/CDO/DRD/DSP/IQE/PDU/SFC/LLS
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/BCHobbyist

Last edited:
Update: for those wondering why MODs for A129 range from 22 - 35 Mbps Bitrate and A119 range from 24 - 26 Mbps . . .
The A129 supports 2 cameras providing extra Bitrate while A119 and other models are locked down for single camera. Hopefully next official Viofo firmware version will raise this limit to 28 Mbps. Until then will continue to probe firmware for over-ride code.

The A119 1440p resolution requires 27 to 30 Mbps Bitrate for noticeable image improvement.

Never truly understood why the bitrate was restricted after FW v3.6 and a return to a reasonable rate would be received well. Even another 2 or 3 Mbps would make a noticable difference.

Back