Never truly understood why the bitrate was restricted after FW v3.6 and a return to a reasonable rate would be received well. Even another 2 or 3 Mbps would make a noticeable difference.
Agreed, the A119 1440p resolution 4-MegaPixel sensor requires 28 Mbps Bitrate to reduce the horrible road, building, tree blocky pixelation. The standard 1080p resolution 2-MP sensors show noticeable improvement at 26 Mbps Bitrate but thats not enough for 1440p video. There is now high priority to unlocking this limit since my A119 Pro v2 Lens surgery project turned out better than expected but 26 Mbps still produces unacceptable road surface detail.

Last edited:
I'm getting confused. I see lots of positive reviews about image quality, etc, then I see this post criticising the image quality ?
to reduce the horrible road, building, tree blocky pixelation

I'll be out tomorrow for the first time since installing my A119 V2, I'll see what I get.

I'm getting confused. I see lots of positive reviews about image quality, etc, then I see this post criticising the image quality ?

I'll be out tomorrow for the first time since installing my A119 V2, I'll see what I get.
for the last 8 months i've been searching for a way to eliminate the blocky mushy road surface detail with MODs but cannot raise the bitrate high enough. All A119 footage from all firmware since day #1 has ugly road surface detail compared to A119S or A129 which are only 1080p cameras. The A119 deserves that image quality improvement. Most owners don't even notice the road or trees or walls but when you own multiple Dashcams its a very obvious difference in quality. The A119 's 1440p resolution is superior and improves in bright sunshine using OmniVision 4 Mega Pixel OV4689 Image Sensor.

Thanks. I'll experiment with 1440@30 and 1080@60 and see what works for me. My driving is 99% daytime.

The quality is good but the roadside trees and road itself sometimes becomes very blocky. This does not stop the A119 from being a good dashcam but it does become very niggling if you review the footage often. The soon to be released V3 may address this niggle that effects the image when or if posted to YouTube and is the reason for my posting rendered in 4K. YouTube makes the footage appear worse than it is due to the heavy compression they use to encode 1080p.

Expert advice required please.

I'm quite happy with what it's produced as a first outing. This RAW clip @1440 with CPL under stock 4.01 firmware is showing a bitrate of 14838kbps, is that low ?

My main viewing monitor is 1920x1080.

What is my next step, 1080@60 or a MOD firmware ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
The bitrate is a average. It can be low than the average if the scene is not too complicated and higher if it is. Which firmware etc can only be your choice. You will have to decide what satisfies your requirements

Expert advice required please.

I'm quite happy with what it's produced as a first outing. This RAW clip @1440 with CPL under stock 4.01 firmware is showing a bitrate of 14838kbps, is that low ?

My main viewing monitor is 1920x1080.

What is my next step, 1080@60 or a MOD firmware ?

Thanks.
The A119 stock firmware looks fine with your focused Lens. Suggest always using the highest 1440P (2K) resolution for maximum detail and clarity. You'll notice drop in detail once you switch to 1080P. The Lens angle is good, low brightens road, higher darkens road. That black dash is perfect to reduce/eliminate dash reflections. Is the A119 camera using GPS mount? Thanks for sharing your footage.

In this sample footage notice the blocky greenery, this is caused by low Bitrate. Currently the maximum I've been able to adjust is 26.5 Mb/s. Use your new Dash Camera for a few weeks then try MOD-6Ro its the best improvement to color and brightness i've been able to achieve.

How to Install Modified Firmware > https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com

6Ro, thanks again.

Yes, it is with the GPS mount and the lower left lat/long seems accurate.

I'm just trying to squeeze every improvement I can out of it without overheating that you've already advised me about.

This is my 4th dashcam, first Viofo, and so far it meets my needs better than previous:

Solid body mount with just the lens angle adjustment = no vibration unlike the 'pendulum' balljoint dashcams
1440 quality lens
Dedicated CPL
Decimal degrees lat/long
Easy to mount/unmount one handed without having to realign each time

My footage isn't copyright, do with it what you like.

6Ro, thanks again.
Yes, it is with the GPS mount and the lower left lat/long seems accurate.
I'm just trying to squeeze every improvement I can out of it without overheating that you've already advised me about.
This is my 4th dashcam, first Viofo, and so far it meets my needs better than previous:
Solid body mount with just the lens angle adjustment = no vibration unlike the 'pendulum' balljoint dashcams
1440 quality lens
Dedicated CPL
Decimal degrees lat/long
Easy to mount/unmount one handed without having to realign each time
My footage isn't copyright, do with it what you like.
The A119 V2 1440P DVR offers more features than most budget dashcams and a good choice especially for large windshields. To reduce internal component heat in hot summer avoid using 60fps.
Since 2016 Viofo has sold 3 different versions of CPL Filter, which one do you own?
#1 - original normal size CPL that turns black when held over A119 lit LCD screen viewed from Lens side. (reduces reflections most <> dims video most)
#2 - newer normal size CPL that turns dark blue when held over A119 lit LCD screen. (reduces reflections less <> dims video less)
#3 - new large beveled CPL that turns dark blue when held over A119 lit LCD screen (reduces reflections less <> dims video less) <=== Best version.

Remember to mark CPL Filter glass edge to slot position for quick realignment if shifted, and always attach with wide slot facing up when mounted to windshield so CPL glass won't drop out on hot day.

This is what I ordered:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07KYBJ89G

It may be a budget dashcam but the features are better than some twice the price. I did consider a BV 750 but that would have meant rewiring as they don't use the mini USB. Also, the BV doesn't have on-screen lat/long, you have to use a dedicated viewer.

I could buy 5 x A119 for what BV want for their expensive 900 so if I do overheat one no big deal.

The lens angle is easily set as it's not fluid but clicks in reasonable steps. On my Honda it's easy to see if it's pointing up, down or straight ahead. I may consider 2 small tippex dots though as I did on my NB 380.

Thanks for the continuing advice.

Edit: 6Ro installed and all OK. Just need a nice day to get some comparative footage which I will post for comparison.

Last edited:
My Wishlist for next official VIOFO A119 V2 1440p Firmware release :

Change Sharpness from Strong / Normal / Soft ==> Stronger + Strong + Normal + Soft + Softer
Add 5 second Buffer to all Parking Modes capturing video prior to event detection for better protection.
Add Bitrate option ==> Low 24Mb/s + Medium 26Mb/s + High 28Mb/s
Add Power Off Temperature ==> 85C to 60C , Off
Add Color Saturation option ==> Auto / Neutral + More + Vivid
Add Brightness option ==> Auto / Low 1 to High 10
Add Contrast option ==> Auto / Low 1 to High 10
Add Beep Volume ==> Low + Medium + High
Add Beep Sound ==> Button Beeps Off

Is auto DST possible ?

Is auto DST possible ?
technically it can be done but it requires a massive database of coordinates to be able to work, aside from needing the database it's a lot of coding to implement, I would think there are more important things that should take priority over something which is just a convenience issue

it can be done by manually setting up a menu function to enter start and stop times, that's still a lot of coding though

Ta, just a thought :)

As an analyst programmer before I retired I can appreciate what's involved. Especially as it would have to cover the various DST rules round the globe. Thought I'd ask though :)

And before someone else reminds me - it is only twice a year.

Recently bought a radio controlled digital clock even that did not have DST and it is automatically CET not GMT. So DST correction was necessary most annoying.

Back