I am not enough of a shutterbug to know if more or less saturation is needed. But this should allow you to compare before and after.

Here are a couple more Clips both cover approx the same stretch of road at the same close to same time of day a week apart.

The first one is older Stock firmware 3.4

Clip #1

The second Clip is with the New Modded firmware listed in my previous post.

Clip #2

I am not enough of a shutterbug to know if more or less saturation is needed. But this should allow you to compare before and after.

Here are a couple more Clips both cover approx the same stretch of road at the same close to same time of day a week apart.

The first one is older Stock firmware 3.4

Clip #1

The second Clip is with the New Modded firmware listed in my previous post.

Clip #2
Thanks, good 1080@60fps night clip, need some daytime clips with range of colored objects for saturation comparisons.

Thanks, good 1080@60fps night clip, need some daytime clips with range of colored objects for saturation comparisons.

Here is a daytime before mod clip:

Should be about the same stretch of road as well as time of day (give or take 30 minutes) I posted the daytime clip a couple posts back with the modded firmware:

Since VIOFO released new v4.00 Firmware without improved IQ preset changes, @gse and I decided to complete the job.
Modified Firmware with improved Image Quality and correct version number can be found in the MOD Archive.
Read first post of this thread for details.
MOD-7F - - - August 28, 2018
FWBA119_MOD-7F_v4.00+27Mbps+IQ-F.bin

Thanks BCHobbist and @gse for your diligence. I thought I was going to have to wait for the new mods for V4.0. I will flash them tomorrow as only flashed Viofo v4 at noon today as I like to option of .ts files. Will keep you informed.

Flashed 5F looks a lot better. Hope you can figure out the .ts option.

Last edited:
Thanks BCHobbist and @gse for your diligence. I thought I was going to have to wait for the new mods for V4.0. I will flash them tomorrow as only flashed Viofo v4 at noon today as I like to option of .ts files. Will keep you informed.

Flashed 5F looks a lot better. Hope you can figure out the .ts option.
Uploaded V4.00 MOD versions today, they include the .TS video option.
Novatek Firmware supports MP4, MOV, AVI, TS file formats.

Moved from other Thread:

Another Night Clip from my rear facing v.1. A119
I moved the mount slightly with near zero improvement. The plastic trim piece it is mounted to is just to bouncy. I really dont want to stick it to the widow itself. b/c I don't want to damage the tint or the defroster grids.

I really dont want to stick it to the widow itself. b/c I don't want to damage the tint or the defroster grids.
I drive a hatchback with the rear door opening up but was able to mount A119 on a door frame. so, if I have the camera recording don't ever-ever-ever slam the door - stop the recording first.

Flashed the 4.0 5F mod and there was no file format (No choice) option looked same as 3.91 but 4.0 7F looks fine and has the option of mp4 or TS . TS files play on my TV on-broad player straight from the A119. The mp4 files have to be played via 3rd party player or PC.
Thanks for sorting TS out so quickly.

Flashed the 4.0 5F mod and there was no file format (No choice) option looked same as 3.91 but 4.0 7F looks fine and has the option of mp4 or TS . TS files play on my TV on-broad player straight from the A119. The mp4 files have to be played via 3rd party player or PC.
Thanks for sorting TS out so quickly.
Thanks for testing both F-series MODs, great the 7F loaded v4.00 correctly, odd the 5F is missing TS save option since I generated both at same time. I don't have A119 to load test and need to verify it wasn't older copy you had, Date stamp on corrected 5F is Aug 30 or 31. Request you delete the 5F and download fresh binary file.

I can confirm that 5F now has the TS/MP4 option. Thanks for the quick response.

Is parking mode works very well on mod 7F?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Is parking mode works very well on mod 7F?

Thanks.
It should work now, Parking Mode may require 1080P @30fps my MODs for 1440P at 27.0Mbps also set 1080P to maximum 20Mbps.

Tried Viofo default firmware 4.0, 5F and 7F. I settled on 5F being much better than the default but not pushing the hardware as much as 7F. All that is required now is a Brightness/Contrast control to adjust for the CPL as EV tend to wash out the blacks a bit. I can understand Viofo being reluctant to activate these controls because the less video minded could make their footage worst. Brightness/contrast/saturation can improve video but also destroy the quality.

Tried Viofo default firmware 4.0, 5F and 7F. I settled on 5F being much better than the default but not pushing the hardware as much as 7F. All that is required now is a Brightness/Contrast control to adjust for the CPL as EV tend to wash out the blacks a bit. I can understand Viofo being reluctant to activate these controls because the less video minded could make their footage worst. Brightness/contrast/saturation can improve video but also destroy the quality.
Good to see the different versions are aiding owners in selecting the correct one for their needs. You are 100% correct it isn't enough and more is needed. Request you contact me often for status and more MODs for all A119 owners. I'm very distracted with the insanity in the A119S thread while I attempt to improve image quality for all owners and distractions from those trying to upset me. I've not spent any time here or A119Pro or A129 working on your MODs, apologies. I actually need the help of many owners of each VIOFO model to test the variations I create since each model has slight differences and I do not own these dashcams. Any failed MODs must be reported, suggestions such as yours are welcomed and needed to guide my adjustments. Very soon I will release a full set of videos revealing how to modify all currently known data tables within the Novatek Firmware for any DVR.

Last edited:
Thanks, for all your efforts. I have enjoyed your You Tube videos and long may they continue. My many years in the computing world has taught me that some people are grateful and some are just plain awkward and destructive with others somewhere in the middle. The forum trolls are responsible for demoralising many good and helpful people and causing the demise of many good projects. I think I would have returned my a119 if I had not found your mods and yourself because l did not like the default FW IQ. Thanks again and keep up the good work.

I'm going to echo what was said above and thank you @BCHobbyist for doing what you do, especially since you do it because you enjoy it, and not because anyone is forcing/paying you to do so!

NOTE to all DCTEAM Beta Testers and Public using my MODs.
For maximum DVR stability once Modified Firmware is loaded = MENU > Default Setting > OK
DVR will restart, Logo will appear now = MENU > set Time Zone and user preferences.
DashCamTEAM is a group of dedicated, respectful and helpful Dash Cam owners.
We are not associated with DashCamTalk or any Vendor or Manufacturer.
Our Forum Profile identifies active Members.
Click my Avatar to start Private conversation.

Please report all issues, thank you for using DCTEAM MODS.

HI! ,,I tried to upgrade my A119 V2 to Viofo V4. and trie Beta V Mod5F and they both go thru the flashing until near the end where i hear a small click and is dead until i flash bin back to V 3.91. ??

HI! ,,I tried to upgrade my A119 V2 to Viofo V4. and trie Beta V Mod5F and they both go thru the flashing until near the end where i hear a small click and is dead until i flash bin back to V 3.91. ??
Thanks for the report, recovery is generally easy.
Many owners with older Firmware may have trouble due to the Novatek SDK base code change. Recommend you update from v3.91 to Official v4.00, if successful then update to my MOD-5F v4.00.
If you downloaded MOD-5F before Sept 10 it was replaced, download newer copy, if that fails let me know and will re-create it.

Back